OREMUS: 19 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 18 17:40:07 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, February 19, 2006
The Seventh Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, Creator God,
in your bright wisdom
you bring forth gifts of new beginnings,
with grace and pardon for the past.
You make our lives a faithful Amen to your purposes,
so that, being sealed with your Holy Spirit,
we may both declare and imitate your forgiveness and healing.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 John 4:1-12]:

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the
spirits to see whether they are from God; for many false
prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know
the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus
Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every
spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. And
this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have
heard that it is coming; and now it i already in the
world. Little children, you are from God, and have
conquered them; for the one who is in you is greater than
the one who is in the world. They are from the world;
therefore what they say is from the world, and the world
listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God
listens to us, and whoever is not from God does not
listen to us. From this we know the spirit of truth and
the spirit of error.
Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from
God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.
God's love was revealed among us in this way: God sent
his only Son into the world so that we might live through
him. In this is love, not that we loved God but that he
loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for
our sins. Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also
ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if
we love one another, God lives in us, and his love is
perfected in us.

For another Biblical reading,

Deuteronomy 12:28-13:4

HYMN
Words: Brian Wren (c)
Tune: St. Petersburg
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g380.html

Great God, your love has called us here
as we, by love, for love were made.
Your living likeness still we bear,
though marred, dishonored, disobeyed.
We come, with all our heart and mind,
your call to hear, your love to find.

We come with self-inflicted pains
of broken trust and chosen wrong;
half-free, half-bound by inner chains;
by social forces swept along,
by powers and systems close confined;
yet seeking hope for humankind.

Great God, in Christ you call our name
and then receive us as your own
not through some merit, right, or claim,
but by your gracious love alone.
We strain to glimpse your mercy seat
and find you kneeling at our feet.

Then take the towel, and break the bread,
and humble us, and call us friends.
Suffer and serve till all are fed,
and show how grandly love intends
to work till all creation sings,
to fill all worlds, to crown all things.

Great God, in Christ you set us free,
your life to live, your joy to share.
Give your Spirit's liberty
to turn from guilt and dull despair
and offer all that faith can do
while love is making all things new.

O God, in you we live and move and have our being.
You have blessed us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
In you we are blessed and we offer praise and thanks.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
throughout the world, that true to its calling
it may embody your radical and boundless love.

Strengthen all the members of the Body of Christ.
Grant that, nourished and sustained by Word and Sacrament,
our service and witness in this and every land
may be full of faith and love.

You are the Source of our life, O God.
You have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
May we embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.

May those who govern the nations of the world
use their authority with wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in them a thirst for justice that embodies your care
for this earth and for the human community.

Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
Grant comfort, healing and release to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion, and use us as agents of lovingkindness.

We give thanks for the lives of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages.
In your love and compassion, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us, by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have taught us that all our deeds without love are worth nothing:
Send your Holy Spirit and pour into our hearts
that most excellent gift of love,
the very bond of peace and of all goodness;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gracious God,
centre our hearts on what is true,
so that both in word and deed
we may fulfil your purposes for us;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are from
_Celebrating the Christian Year_, vol. 1. (c) Alan Griffiths.

Hymn (c) 1977, rev. 1995 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL
60188.
In US, Canada, Australia & New Zealand:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)