OREMUS: 13 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 12 23:35:03 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, February 13, 2006
Absalom Jones, Priest, 1818

you lead us to the waters of refreshment and new life
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
He calls us to leave behind the dusty desert
of withered hopes and dreams
to become a spring of faith
that others may come near to the stream of life.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of Judith (Judith 16:13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.

May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.

You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.

Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.

But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.

No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [1 Corinthians 10:1-13]:

I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters,
that our ancestors were all under the cloud, and all
passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses
in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same
spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink.
For they drank from the spiritual rock that followed
them, and the rock was Christ. Nevertheless, God was not
pleased with most of them, and they were struck down in
the wilderness.
Now these things occurred as examples for us, so that we
might not desire evil as they did. Do not become
idolaters as some of them did; as it is written, 'The
people sat down to eat and drink, and they rose up to
play.' We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some
of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single
day. We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them
did, and were destroyed by serpents. And do not complain
as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer.
These things happened to them to serve as an example, and
they were written down to instruct us, on whom the ends
of the ages have come. So if you think you are standing,
watch out that you do not fall. No testing has overtaken
you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and
he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but
with the testing he will also provide the way out so that
you may be able to endure it.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Kings 4:1-7

HYMN
Words: Henry Williams Baker, 1861
Tune: Monkland
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p060.html

Praise, O praise our God and King;
hymns of adoration sing;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

Praise him that he made the sun
day by day his course to run;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure;

and the silver moon by night,
shining with her gentle light;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

Praise him that he gave the rain
to mature the swelling grain;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure;

and hath bid the fruitful field
crops of precious increase yield;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

Praise him for our harvest-store,
he hath filled the garner-floor;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

And for richer food than this,
pledge of everlasting bliss;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

Glory to our bounteous King;
glory let creation sing;
glory to the Father, Son,
and blest Spirit, Three in One.

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the Church, especially the Diocese of
Awka, Nigeria, The Most Revd Maxwell Samuel Chike Anikwenwa, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Aguata, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Christian Ogochukwu Efobi.
We pray to you, Lord.

For ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Set us free, heavenly Father,
from every bond of prejudice and fear;
that, honoring the steadfast courage
of your servant Absalom Jones,
we may show forth in our lives
the reconciling love and true freedom of the children of God,
which you have given us in your Son our Savior Jesus Christ;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Call us now and we shall awaken,
call us now by name and we shall arise. Amen.

The canticle and first collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and uses some
images from a hymn by Thomas Troeger. The closing prayer is by Stephen
Benner and uses some phrases from a song by Marty Haugen.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

In 1786 the membership of St. George's Methodist Episcopal Church in
Philadelphia included both blacks and whites. However, the white members
met that year and decided that thereafter black members should sit only in the
balcony. Two black Sunday school teachers, Absalom Jones (1746-1818) and
Richard Allen (1760-1830), learned of the decision only when, on the
following Sunday, ushers tapped them on the shoulder during the opening
prayers, and demanded that they move to the balcony without waiting for the
end of the prayer. They walked out, followed by the other black members.
Absalom Jones conferred with William White, Episcopal Bishop of
Philadelphia, who agreed to accept the group as an Episcopal parish. Jones
would serve as lay reader, and, after a period of study, would be ordained and
serve as rector. Allen wanted the group to remain Methodist, and in 1793 he
left to form a Methodist congregation. In 1816 he left the Methodists to form a
new denomination, the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. Jones
(ordained deacon and priest in 1795 and 1802) and Allen (ordained deacon and
elder in 1799 and 1816) were the first two black Americans to receive formal
ordination in any denomination.