OREMUS: 12 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 11 20:28:19 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, February 12, 2006
The Sixth Sunday after Epiphany

you lead us to the waters of refreshment and new life
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
He calls us to leave behind the dusty desert
of withered hopes and dreams
to become a spring of faith
that others may come near to the stream of life.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 29

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Psalm 98

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 John 3:15-24]:

All who hate a brother or sister are murderers, and you
know that murderers do not have eternal life abiding in
them. We know love by this, that he laid down his life
for us and we ought to lay down our lives for one
another. How does God's love abide in anyone who has the
world's goods and sees a brother or sister in need and
yet refuses help?
Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but
in truth and action. And by this we will know that we are
from the truth and will reassure our hearts before him
whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than
our hearts, and he knows everything. Beloved, if our
hearts do not condemn us, we have boldness before God;
and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we obey
his commandments and do what pleases him.
And this is his commandment, that we should believe in
the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another,
just as he has commanded us. All who obey his
commandments abide in him, and he abides in them. And by
this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit that he
has given us.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Kings 5:15-16,20-27

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Aberystwyth
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s240.html

Soaring Spirit, set us free
from the tyranny of fear;
life of glorious liberty,
let your promised power appear:
drown the noise of Babel's tongues
in the murmur of the dove;
burn away our wasting wrongs
with the healing fire of love.

Unseen member of the dance
that unites the Trinity,
let the grace your presence grants
twine us in like mystery.
Breath of God, our lives inspire
till our hope and faith increase;
speak through us with tongues of fire;
send us forth to spread God's peace.

We lift our voices in prayers of praise, holy God, for
you have lifted us to new life in Jesus Christ, and your
blessings come in generous measure. Especially we thank
you for
     the privilege of worship and service in your name...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ...
     food and drink to share in the Lord's name...
     our calling to discipleship...

We hold up before you human needs, God of compassion, for
you have come to us in Jesus Christ and shared our life
so we may share his resurrection. Especially we pray for
     the healing of those who are sick...
                    (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the comfort of the dying...
     the renewal of those in despair...
     the Spirit's power in the church...

Righteous God,
you challenge the powers that rule this world
and you show favor to the oppressed:
Instill in us a true sense of justice,
that we may discern the signs of your kingdom
and strive for right to prevail;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Call us now and we shall awaken,
call us now by name and we shall arise. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and uses some
images from a hymn by Thomas Troeger. The closing prayer is by Stephen
Benner and uses some phrases from a song by Marty Haugen.

Hymn (c) 1990 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.