OREMUS: 11 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 10 21:07:10 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, February 11, 2006

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 92

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
   nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
   and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
   lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
   like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
   who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Philippians 3:7-21]:

Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ. More than that, I
regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For
his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may
gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law,
but one that comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God based on faith. I want to
know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like
him in his death, if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it
my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Beloved, I do not consider that I have made
it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies
ahead, I press on towards the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus. Let
those of us then who are mature be of the same mind; and if you think differently about anything,
this too God will reveal to you. Only let us hold fast to what we have attained.

Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example
you have in us. For many live as enemies of the cross of Christ; I have often told you of them, and
now I tell you even with tears. Their end is destruction; their god is the belly; and their glory is in
their shame; their minds are set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and it is from
there that we are expecting a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. He will transform the body of our
humiliation so that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, by the power that also enables
him to make all things subject to himself.

href="http://bible.oremus.org/?version=nrsvae&vnum=no&passage=Numbers+20:2-13">Number
s 20:2-13

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707
Tune:   Rockingham
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w299.html

When I survey the wondrous cross
where the young Prince of Glory died,
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the cross of Christ, my God:
all the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy Catholic Church:
Auckland, New Zealand, The Rt Revd John Campbell Paterson, Bishop.
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church
may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority
in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer
from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
may they rest in your peace.

We praise you for all your saints
who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

God of mercy and tenderness,
giver of life and conqueror of death,
look upon our weakness and grief,
and restore us to health,
that we may sing a new song to your praise;
through Jesus Christ our risen Lord. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The God of love who calls us,
guide us this day and always:
his might uphold us,
his love enfold us,
his peace empower us;
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Daily Prayer_,
copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by David Adam.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal