OREMUS: 10 February

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 10 11:33:21 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, February 10, 2006
Scholastica, sister of Benedict, Abbess of Plombariola, c.543

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

To you I lift up my eyes,*
  to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
  and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
  until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
  for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
  and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 130
Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
    Lord, hear my voice;*
  let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
  O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
  therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
  in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
    more than the night-watch for the morning,*
  more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
  for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
  and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

READING [Joshua 8:30-35]:

Joshua built on Mount Ebal an altar to the Lord, the God of Israel, just as
Moses the servant of the Lord had commanded the Israelites, as it is
written in the book of the law of Moses, 'an altar of unhewn stones, on
which no iron tool has been used'; and they offered on it burnt-offerings
to the Lord, and sacrificed offerings of well-being. And there, in the
presence of the Israelites, Joshua wrote on the stones a copy of the law of
Moses, which he had written. All Israel, alien as well as citizen, with
their elders and officers and their judges, stood on opposite sides of the
ark in front of the levitical priests who carried the ark of the covenant
of the Lord, half of them in front of Mount Gerizim and half of them in
front of Mount Ebal, as Moses the servant of the Lord had commanded at the
first, that they should bless the people of Israel. And afterwards he read
all the words of the law, blessings and curses, according to all that is
written in the book of the law. There was not a word of all that Moses
commanded that Joshua did not read before all the assembly of Israel, and
the women, and the little ones, and the aliens who resided among them.

For another Biblical reading, Luke 7:36-50

HYMN
Words: Henry Williams Baker, 1861
Tune: Ravenshaw

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l464.html

Lord, thy Word abideth,
and our footsteps guideth;
who its truth believeth
light and joy receiveth.

When our foes are near us,
then thy Word doth cheer us,
Word of consolation,
message of salvation.

When the storms are o'er us,
and dark clouds before us,
then its light directeth,
and our way protecteth.

Who can tell the pleasure,
who recount the treasure,
by thy Word imparted
to the simple-hearted?

Word of mercy, giving
succor to the living;
word of life, supplying
comfort to the dying!

O that we, discerning,
its most holy learning,
Lord, may love and fear thee,
evermore be near thee!

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Great are you, Lord, and greatly to be praised!
There is no end to your greatness.
Let your Spirit shape and make new our character,
encourage us in constant prayer,
direct us in the way of love
and bring us at last to heaven with all your saints in light.

All that is unfinished in us and in the world,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every aspiration, longing and dream
crushed by temptation, sin and dullness of heart,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Holy Church seeking to offer you worship
in every place and culture, especially in the Diocese of
Atlanta, USA, The Rt Revd John Neil Alexander, Bishop.
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every people and tribe oppressed
by the greed and prejudice of others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

The empty and hungry places in our spirits
and in our relationships with others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Lord of mercy and redemption,
rescue us, we pray, from the depths of sin and death;
forgive us what we do wrong,
and give us grace to stand in your presence,
to serve you in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
by whose grace Scholastica, the sister of Benedict,
became a burning and shining light in your Church:
inflame us with the same spirit of discipline and love,
that we may ever walk before you as children of light;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The God of love who calls us,
guide us this day and always:
his might uphold us,
his love enfold us,
his peace empower us;
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The psalms, first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from
Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992,
which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Daily Prayer, copyright
© The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by David Adam.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from THE DAILY OFFICE:
A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke, ©
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The second collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use
of The Episcopal Church.

Our only source of information on the life of Benedict of Nursia
(480?-547?) is the second book of the Dialogues of Pope Geogory the Great
(540-604). This work dates from less than 50 years after the death of
Benedict and is based upon the reminiscences of persons who knew the Abbot,
yet it is not history or biography in our modern sense. Instead it is
intended as an edifying and didactic tale illustrating the means by which
humans journey towards God.

Benedict, whose name in Latin means "Blessed," was born to a Christian
family in the mountains to the northeast of Rome. The Roman Empire was
crumbling and the Goths and Vandals controlled Italy. As a youth, he was
sent to Rome for schooling and there experienced a religious awakening
which caused him to renounce corrupt secular society and to join a band of
Christian ascetics. He later became a hermit, living in the hill region of
Subiaco. His fame as a holy person grew until he was importuned to become
the abbot of a group of monks, who eventually became so peeved by his
reforming zeal that they attempted to poison him. Benedict left them to
their evil ways and began organizing groups of his own followers into small
monasteries. In about A.D. 529, he and a few disciples came to the mountain
above the city of Cassino where they established the monastery now known as
Montecassino. This is probably where he wrote the monastic Rule, the only
document which remains to us from his hand. Benedict's death occurred about
547, and tradition tells us he died standing before the altar, supported by
his brothers, a model of fidelity and perseverance for all of his followers.

Scholastica is, according to tradition, the twin sister of Benedict. She is
a shadowy figure whom we know from a single charming story in the
Dialogues. She led some form of consecrated life with a group of Christian
women. Gregory tells us that yearly she journeyed to meet her brother at a
small house midway between their residences. On one momentous occasion, as
evening fell, Benedict packed up his monks to return to the monastery from
which, according to his own Rule, he was not permitted to be absent
overnight. Scholastica begged him to make an exception and stay over so
that they could continue their holy conversation. When Benedict refused,
Scholastica wept and prayed and immediately such a torrent of rain fell
that no one could leave the house. As Gregory says, the woman's prayers
prevailed with God because her love was the greater. When Scholastica died,
Benedict had her body brought to Montecassino and placed in his own tomb.
Scholastica's name means "she who has leisure to devote to study." Some
skeptical historians have suggested that she is only a literary device: a
personification of the Benedictine practice of reflective study. She
remains very real, however, to Benedictine women, with the reality which
can transcend simple historical existence, as a model of the feminine
aspects of Benedictine monasticism, and an example of the power of the soul
who loves God. [Sr. Margaret Clarke, O.S.B.; College of Saint Scholastica,
http://news.css.edu/about/benandschol.shtml]