OREMUS: 9 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Feb 8 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, February 9, 2006

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

Psalm 124

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
   from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

A Song of Hannah (1 Samuel 2.1-2,3b-5,7-8)

My soul exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in my God.

My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in your salvation.

There is no Holy One like you, O Lord,
nor any Rock like you, our God.

For you are a God of knowledge
and by you our actions are weighed.

The bows of the mighty are broken,
but the feeble gird on strength.

Those who were full now hire themselves out for bread,
but those who were hungry are well fed.

The barren woman has borne sevenfold,
but she who has many children is forlorn.

Both the poor and the rich are of your making;
you bring low and you also exalt.

You raise up the poor from the dust,
and lift the needy from the ash heap.

You make them sit with the rulers
and inherit a place of honour.

For the pillars of the earth are yours
and on them you have set the world.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Joshua 8:1-22]:

Then the Lord said to Joshua, 'Do not fear or be
dismayed; take all the fighting men with you, and go up
now to Ai. See, I have handed over to you the king of Ai
with his people, his city, and his land. You shall do to
Ai and its king as you did to Jericho and its king; only
its spoil and its livestock you may take as booty for
yourselves. Set an ambush against the city, behind
it.'
So Joshua and all the fighting men set out to go up
against Ai. Joshua chose thirty thousand warriors and
sent them out by night with the command, 'You shall lie
in ambush against the city, behind it; do not go very far
from the city, but all of you stay alert. I and all the
people who are with me will approach the city. When they
come out against us, as before, we shall flee from them.
They will come out after us until we have drawn them away
from the city; for they will say, "They are fleeing from
us, as before." While we flee from them, you shall rise
up from the ambush and seize the city; for the Lord your
God will give it into your hand. And when you have taken
the city, you shall set the city on fire, doing as the
Lord has ordered; see, I have commanded you.' So Joshua
sent them out; and they went to the place of ambush, and
lay between Bethel and Ai, to the west of Ai; but Joshua
spent that night in the camp.
In the morning Joshua rose early and mustered the people,
and went up, with the elders of Israel, before the people
to Ai. All the fighting men who were with him went up,
and drew near before the city, and camped on the north
side of Ai, with a ravine between them and Ai. Taking
about five thousand men, he set them in ambush between
Bethel and Ai, to the west of the city. So they stationed
the forces, the main encampment that was north of the
city and its rearguard west of the city. But Joshua spent
that night in the valley. When the king of Ai saw this,
he and all his people, the inhabitants of the city,
hurried out early in the morning to the meeting-place
facing the Arabah to meet Israel in battle; but he did
not know that there was an ambush against him behind the
city. And Joshua and all Israel made a pretence of being
beaten before them, and fled in the direction of the
wilderness. So all the people who were in the city were
called together to pursue them, and as they pursued
Joshua they were drawn away from the city. There was not
a man left in Ai or Bethel who did not go out after
Israel; they left the city open, and pursued Israel.
Then the Lord said to Joshua, 'Stretch out the sword that
is in your hand towards Ai; for I will give it into your
hand.' And Joshua stretched out the sword that was in his
hand towards the city. As soon as he stretched out his
hand, the troops in ambush rose quickly out of their
place and rushed forward. They entered the city, took it,
and at once set the city on fire. So when the men of Ai
looked back, the smoke of the city was rising to the sky.
They had no power to flee this way or that, for the
people who fled to the wilderness turned back against the
pursuers. When Joshua and all Israel saw that the ambush
had taken the city and that the smoke of the city was
rising, then they turned back and struck down the men of
Ai. And the others came out from the city against them;
so they were surrounded by Israelites, some on one side,
and some on the other; and Israel struck them down until
no one was left who survived or escaped.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 7:11-17

HYMN
Words: Horatius Bonar, 1861
Tune: Moseley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o477.html

O love that casts out fear,
O love that casts out sin,
tarry no more without,
but come and dwell within.

True sunlight of the soul,
surround us as we go;
so shall our way be safe,
our feet no straying know.

Great love of God, come in!
Well-spring of heavenly peace;
thou Living Water, come!
Spring up, and never cease.

Love of the living God,
of Father and of Son;
love of the Holy Ghost,
fill thou each needy one.

Almighty and gracious God,
we bless you for your mercy in Christ
and your nearness by the Word and the Spirit.

Hear us as we embrace in the circle of love:

the life and witness of your Church,
especially in the Diocese of
Athabasca, Canada, The Most Revd John R Clarke, Archbishop.
Generous God, hear us.

the world and its longing,
especially for peace in India and Pakistan,
Afghanistan, Israel and Palestine and wherever conflict persists.
Generous God, hear us.

the cares of our own lives,
Generous God, hear us.

and those particular concerns your Spirit awakens in us,
Generous God, hear us.

God, maker of heaven and earth,
you save us in the water of baptism
and by the suffering of your Son you set us free:
help us to put our trust in his victory
and to know that there is salvation
only in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The God of love who calls us,
guide us this day and always:
his might uphold us,
his love enfold us,
his peace empower us;
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Daily Prayer_,
copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by David Adam.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.