OREMUS: 8 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Feb 7 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, February 8, 2006

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 125

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Joshua 7:1-13]:

But the Israelites broke faith in regard to the devoted
things: Achan son of Carmi son of Zabdi son of Zerah, of
the tribe of Judah, took some of the devoted things; and
the anger of th Lord burned against the Israelites.
Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is near
Beth-aven, east of Bethel, and said to them, 'Go up and
spy out the land.' And the men went up and spied out Ai.
Then they returned to Joshua and said to him, 'Not all
the people need go up; about two or three thousand men
should go up and attack Ai. Since they are so few, do not
make the whole people toil up there.' So about three
thousand of the people went up there; and they fled
before the men of Ai. The men of Ai killed about
thirty-six of them, chasing them from outside the gate as
far as Shebarim and killing them on the slope. The hearts
of the people failed and turned to water.
Then Joshua tore his clothes, and fell to the ground on
his face before the ark of the Lord until the evening, he
and the elders of Israel; and they put dust on their
heads. Joshua said, 'Ah, Lord God! Why have you brought
this people across the Jordan at all, to hand us over to
the Amorites so as to destroy us? Would that we had been
content to settle beyond the Jordan! O Lord, what can I
say, now that Israel has turned their backs to their
enemies! The Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the
land will hear of it, and surround us, and cut off our
name from the earth. Then what will you do for your great
name?'
The Lord said to Joshua, 'Stand up! Why have you fallen
upon your face? Israel has sinned; they have transgressed
my covenant that I imposed on them. They have taken some
of the devoted things; they have stolen, they have acted
deceitfully, and they have put them among their own
belongings. Therefore the Israelites are unable to stand
before their enemies; they turn their backs to their
enemies, because they have become a thing devoted for
destruction themselves. I will be with you no more,
unless you destroy the devoted things from among you.
Proceed to sanctify the people, and say, "Sanctify
yourselves for tomorrow; for thus says the Lord, the God
of Israel, 'There are devoted things among you, O Israel;
you will be unable to stand before your enemies until you
take away the devoted things from among you.'

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 7:1-10

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1872
Tune: Whitsun
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t759.html

To thee, O Comforter divine,
for all thy grace and power benign,
sing we alleluia!

To thee, whose faithful love had place
in God's great covenant of grace,
sing we alleluia!

To thee, whose faithful power doth heal,
enlighten, sanctify, and seal,
sing we alleluia!

To thee, our teacher and our friend,
our faithful leader to the end,
sing we alleluia!

To thee, by Jesus Christ sent down,
of all his gifts the sun and crown,
sing we alleluia!

Under your holy wings, you gather us, O God,
and you shelter us by your grace.

Together in faith communities,
you call us share your love and mercy.
Gather us in, O God.

We give you thanks for all that gives shape to life in community:
devotion to apostolic teaching,
sharing in fellowship around your Word and Table,
continuous prayer for the world and the Church.
Gather us in, O God.

We pray for your Church in the Diocese of
Asaba, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Nicholas Dikeriehi Okoh, Bishop.
Gather us in, O God.

Save your Church from formless piety.
Gather us in, O God.

Help families and the leaders of households to pattern faith.
Gather us in, O God.

Choose and renew our leaders for disciple-making.
Gather us in, O God.

Uphold those who seek peace with justice.
Gather us in, O God.

Give light to all who strive to discern what is right.
Gather us in, O God.

Comfort the dying.
Gather us in, O God.

Heal the broken and suffering.
Gather us in, O God.

Be with us, God of consolation,
when we are made weary by this world;
turn our sorrow into joy
and give us lips to sing your praise
and lives to proclaim your victory in Jesus Christ,
our crucified and risen Lord. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The God of love who calls us,
guide us this day and always:
his might uphold us,
his love enfold us,
his peace empower us;
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Daily Prayer_,
copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by David Adam.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.