OREMUS: 7 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 6 17:00:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 7, 2006

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 120

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

READING [Joshua 6:15-27]:

On the seventh day they rose early, at dawn, and marched
around the city in the same manner seven times. It was
only on that day that they marched around the city seven
times. And at the seventh time, when the priests had
blown the trumpets, Joshua said to the people, 'Shout!
For the Lord has given you the city. The city and all
that is in it shall be devoted to the Lord for
destruction. Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are
with her in her house shall live, because she hid the
messengers we sent. As for you, keep away from the things
devoted to destruction, so as not to covet and take any
of the devoted things and make the camp of Israel an
object for destruction, bringing trouble upon it. But all
silver and gold, and vessels of bronze and iron, are
sacred to the Lord; they shall go into the treasury of
the Lord.' So the people shouted, and the trumpets were
blown. As soon as the people heard the sound of the
trumpets, they raised a great shout, and the wall fell
down flat; so the people charged straight ahead into the
city and captured it. Then they devoted to destruction by
the edge of the sword all in the city, both men and
women, young and old, oxen, sheep, and donkeys.
Joshua said to the two men who had spied out the land,
'Go into the prostitute's house, and bring the woman out
of it and all who belong to her, as you swore to her.' So
the young men who had been spies went in and brought
Rahab out, along with her father, her mother, her
brothers, and all who belonged to her they brought all
her kindred out and set them outside the camp of Israel.
They burned down the city, and everything in it; only the
silver and gold, and the vessels of bronze and iron, they
put into the treasury of the house of the Lord. But Rahab
the prostitute, with her family and all who belonged to
her, Joshua spared. Her family has lived in Israel ever
since. For she hid the messengers whom Joshua sent to spy
out Jericho.
Joshua then pronounced this oath, saying,
'Cursed before the Lord be anyone who tries
   to build this city this Jericho!
At the cost of his firstborn he shall lay its foundation,
   and at the cost of his youngest he shall set up its
gates!'

So the Lord was with Joshua; and his fame was in all the
land.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 6:37-42

HYMN
Words: Samuel John Stone, 1868
Tune: Aurelia
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t093.html

The Church's one foundation
is Jesus Christ her Lord;
she is his new creation,
by water and the word:
from heaven he came and sought her
to be his holy bride;
with his own blood he bought her,
and for her life he died.

Elect from every nation,
yet one o'er all the earth,
her charter of salvation,
one Lord, one faith, one birth;
one holy Name she blesses,
partakes one holy food,
and to one hope she presses,
with every grace endued.

Though with a scornful wonder
men see her sore oppressed,
by schisms rent asunder,
by heresies distressed;
yet saints their watch are keeping,
their cry goes up, "How long?"
and soon the night of weeping
shall be the morn of song.

Mid toil and tribulation,
and tumult of her war
she waits the consummation
of peace for evermore;
till with the vision glorious
her longing eyes are blessed,
and the great Church victorious
shall be the Church at rest.

Yet she on earth hath union
with God, the Three in one,
and mystic sweet communion
with those whose rest is won.
O happy ones and holy!
Lord, give us grace that we
like them, the meek and lowly,
on high may dwell with thee.

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Arochukwu / Ohafia, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Johnson Onuoha, Bishop.
Hear us, O Lord.

God of consolation,
look upon us, pilgrims in a strange land:
preserve us from slander and deceit,
show us the truth
and give to our souls the peace Christ won upon the cross.
To him be glory for ever! Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The God of love who calls us,
guide us this day and always:
his might uphold us,
his love enfold us,
his peace empower us;
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Daily Prayer_,
copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by David Adam.

The intercession is by Stephen T. Benner and is based on a prayer by James
Norden written in 1548.