OREMUS: 6 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 5 18:32:49 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, February 6, 2006

through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 90

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

Psalm 110:1-5

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Joshua 6:1-14]:

Now Jericho was shut up inside and out because of the
Israelites; no one came out and no one went in. The Lord
said to Joshua, 'See, I have handed Jericho over to you,
along with its king and soldiers. You shall march around
the city, all the warriors circling the city once. Thus
you shall do for six days, with seven priests bearing
seven trumpets of rams' horns before the ark. On the
seventh day you shall march around the city seven times,
the priests blowing the trumpets. When they make a long
blast with the ram's horn, as soon as you hear the sound
of the trumpet, then all the people shall shout with a
great shout; and the wall of the city will fall down
flat, and all the people shall charge straight ahead.' So
Joshua son of Nun summoned the priests and said to them,
'Take up the ark of the covenant, and have seven priests
carry seven trumpets of rams' horns in front of the ark
of the Lord.' To the people he said, 'Go forward and
march around the city; have the armed men pass on before
the ark of the Lord.'
As Joshua had commanded the people, the seven priests
carrying the seven trumpets of rams' horns before the
Lord went forward, blowing the trumpets, with the ark of
the covenant of the Lord following them. And the armed
men went before the priests who blew the trumpets; the
rearguard came after the ark, while the trumpets blew
continually. To the people Joshua gave this command: 'You
shall not shout or let your voice be heard, nor shall you
utter a word, until the day I tell you to shout. Then you
shall shout.' So the ark of the Lord went around the
city, circling it once; and they came into the camp, and
spent the night in the camp.
Then Joshua rose early in the morning, and the priests
took up the ark of the Lord. The seven priests carrying
the seven trumpets of rams' horns before the ark of the
Lord passed on, blowing the trumpets continually. The
armed men went before them, and the rearguard came after
the ark of the Lord, while the trumpets blew continually.
On the second day they marched around the city once and
then returned to the camp. They did this for six days.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 6:27-36

HYMN
Words:  Hymns Founded on Various Texts in the Holy Scriptures,
by the late Reverend Philip Doddridge, 1755; as altered in The Hymnal of 1826
Tune: Wareham
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t802.html

Triumphant Zion, lift thy head
from dust and darkness, and the dead;
though humbled long, awake at length,
and gird thee with thy Savior's strength.

Put all thy beauteous garments on,
and let thy excellence be known:
decked in the robes of righteousness,
the world thy glories shall confess.

No more shall foes unclean invade,
and fill thy hallowed walls with dread:
no more shall hell's insulting host
their victory and thy sorrows boast.

God, from on high, has heard thy prayer;
his hand thy ruins shall repair:
nor will thy watchful Monarch cease
to guard thee in eternal peace.

All-seeing, all-loving God,
you behold the human family as one.
You regard each of us as loved, redeemed, a temple of your Spirit.
Beholding you, we respond in thanks and praise as one Church.

Renew the Church in a dynamic sense of your grace.
Renew us, O Lord.

We remember your Church in the Diocese of
Armidale, Australia, The Rt Revd Peter Robert Brain, Bishop.
Renew us, O Lord.

Work in us a continuing conversion:
Renew us, O Lord.

Give all your disciples eyes to see you in the ordinary:
Renew us, O Lord.

Lift the heavy hands of oppression
from the poor, the abused and the exploited:
Renew us, O Lord.

Kindle in the suffering and desperate
the warmth of your nearness and consolation:
Renew us, O Lord.

Stir up in us attention to the Spirit breathing within us:
Renew us, O Lord.

When you came among us in majesty, O God,
you took the form of a servant.
May we whom you call to your priestly service
work to establish justice on earth,
that we may inherit your kingdom in heaven;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The God of love who calls us,
guide us this day and always:
his might uphold us,
his love enfold us,
his peace empower us;
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The canticle and collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Daily Prayer_,
copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by David Adam.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.