OREMUS: 3 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Feb 2 21:13:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, February 3, 2006
Anskar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Missionary in Denmark and Sweden, 865

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

READING [Job 36:1-23]:

Elihu continued and said:
'Bear with me a little, and I will show you,
   for I have yet something to say on God's behalf.
I will bring my knowledge from far away,
   and ascribe righteousness to my Maker.
For truly my words are not false;
   one who is perfect in knowledge is with you.

'Surely God is mighty and does not despise any;
   he is mighty in strength of understanding.
He does not keep the wicked alive,
   but gives the afflicted their right.
He does not withdraw his eyes from the righteous,
   but with kings on the throne
   he sets them for ever, and they are exalted.
And if they are bound in fetters
   and caught in the cords of affliction,
then he declares to them their work
   and their transgressions, that they are behaving
arrogantly.
He opens their ears to instruction,
   and commands that they return from iniquity.
If they listen, and serve him,
   they complete their days in prosperity,
   and their years in pleasantness.
But if they do not listen, they shall perish by the sword,
   and die without knowledge.

'The godless in heart cherish anger;
   they do not cry for help when he binds them.
They die in their youth,
   and their life ends in shame.
He delivers the afflicted by their affliction,
   and opens their ear by adversity.
He also allured you out of distress
   into a broad place where there was no constraint,
   and what was set on your table was full of fatness.

'But you are obsessed with the case of the wicked;
   judgement and justice seize you.
Beware that wrath does not entice you into scoffing,
   and do not let the greatness of the ransom turn you
aside.
Will your cry avail to keep you from distress,
   or will all the force of your strength?
Do not long for the night,
   when peoples are cut off in their place.
Beware! Do not turn to iniquity;
   because of that you have been tried by affliction.
See, God is exalted in his power;
   who is a teacher like him?
Who has prescribed for him his way,
   or who can say, "You have done wrong"?

For another Biblical reading,
1 Corinthians 9:1-16

HYMN
Words: Charles Kingsley, 1871
Tune: Albano, Belgrave, Culross
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f297.html

>From thee all skill and science flow,
all pity, care, and love,
all calm and courage, faith and hope:
O pour them from above!

Impart them, Lord, to each and all,
as each and all shall need,
to rise, like incense, each to thee,
in noble thought and deed.

And hasten, Lord, that perfect day
when pain and death shall cease,
and thy just rule shall fill the earth
with health and light and peace.

Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding
to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church, especially in the Diocese of
Armagh, Ireland, The Most Revd Robert Henry Alexander Eames, Archbishop.
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty and everlasting God,
you sent your servant Anskar
as an apostle to the people of Scandinavia,
and enabled him to lay a firm foundation for their conversion,
though he did not see the results of his labors:
Keep your Church from discouragement in the day of small things,
knowing than when you have begun a good work
you will bring it to a faithful conclusion;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

The psalms, first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

 Anskar (in Latin, Ansgarius) was a monk of Saxon family, born in 801 (the
year after the crowning of Charlemagne). In 826, when King Harald of
Denmark asked Charlemagne's successors for missionaries, Anskar led a group
to Denmark, and a few years later to Sweden. Because of unsettled political
conditions, his work ran into difficulties, and Anskar withdrew into Germany,
where he served as first Archbishop of Hamburg. Later, however, he helped to
consecrate Gotbert, the first bishop of Sweden. The Church of Sweden honors
him as its apostle, and he serves as symbol of the historic friendship and
present-day connection between the Anglican Churches and the Church of
Sweden. [James Kiefer]