OREMUS: 25 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Dec 24 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, December 25, 2006

Jesus Christ today is born.

God of God and Light of Light,
comes with mercies infinite,
joining in a wondrous plan
heaven to earth and God to man. Refrain

God with us, Emmanuel,
deigns for ever now to dwell;
he on Adam's fallen race
sheds the fullness of his grace. Refrain

God comes down that man may rise,
lifted by him to the skies;
Christ is Son of Man that we
sons of God in him may be. Refrain

O renew us, Lord, we pray,
with thy Spirit day by day,
that we ever one may be
with the Father and with thee. Refrain

for the joy and gladness given us by your grace
in the birth of Jesus in the manger of Bethlehem:
Word made flesh,
God with us--Emmanuel,
Wonderful Counselor,
Prince of Peace.
You call us to be born anew in him
that we may reflect his light
and live as your faithful people
in the radiance of your love.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 19

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

Psalm 97

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.<td
colspan=2>
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

Gloria in Excelsis
Glory to God in the highest,
and peace to his people on earth.

Lord God, heavenly King,
almighty God and Father,
we worship you, we give you thanks,
we praise you for your glory.

Lord Jesus Christ, only Son of the Father,
Lord God, Lamb of God,
you take away the sin of the world:
have mercy on us;
you are seated at the right hand of the Father:
receive our prayer.

For you alone are the Holy One,
you alone are the Lord,
you alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ,
with the Holy Spirit,
in the glory of God the Father. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 52:7-10]:

How beautiful upon the mountains
   are the feet of the messenger who announces peace,
who brings good news,
   who announces salvation,
   who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns.'
Listen! Your sentinels lift up their voices,
   together they sing for joy;
for in plain sight they see
   the return of the Lord to Zion.
Break forth together into singing,
   you ruins of Jerusalem;
for the Lord has comforted his people,
   he has redeemed Jerusalem.
The Lord has bared his holy arm
   before the eyes of all the nations;
and all the ends of the earth shall see
   the salvation of our God.

HYMN
Words: Marcus Aurelius Clemens Prudentius (348-413);
trans. John Mason Neale, 1854 and Henry Williams Baker, 1861 Tune: Divinum mysterium
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o739.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o739.html
Of the Father's love begotten,
ere the worlds began to be,
he is Alpha and Omega,
he the source, the ending he,
of the things that are, that have been,
and that future years shall see,
evermore and evermore!

At his word the words were fram d;
he commanded; it was done:
heaven and earth and depths of ocean
in their threefold order one;
all that grows beneath the shining
of the moon and burning sun,
evermore and evermore!

O that birth for ever bless d,
when the Virgin, full of grace,
by the Holy Ghost conceiving,
bare the Savior of our race;
and the Babe, the world's Redeemer,
first revealed his sacred face,
evermore and evermore!

This is he whom seers in old time
chanted of with one accord;
whom the voices of the prophets
promised in their faithful word;
now he shines, the long expected,
let creation praise its Lord,
evermore and evermore!

O ye heights of heaven, adore him;
angel-hosts, his praises sing;
powers, dominions, bow before him,
and extol our God and King;
let no tongue on earth be silent,
every voice in concert ring,
evermore and evermore!

Thee let old men, thee let young men,
thee let boys in chorus sing;
matrons, virgins, little maidens,
with glad voices answering:
let their guileless songs re-echo,
and the heart its music bring,
evermore and evermore!

Christ, to thee with God the Father,
and, O Holy Ghost, to thee,
hymn and chant and high thanksgiving,
and unwearied praises be;
honor, glory and dominion,
and eternal victory,
evermore and evermore!

SECOND READING [Hebrews 1:1-12]:

Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last
days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also
created the worlds. He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being,
and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat
down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the
name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

For to which of the angels did God ever say,
'You are my Son;
   today I have begotten you'?
Or again,
'I will be his Father,
   and he will be my Son'?
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,
'Let all God's angels worship him.'
Of the angels he says,
'He makes his angels winds,
   and his servants flames of fire.'
But of the Son he says,
'Your throne, O God, is for ever and ever,
   and the righteous sceptre is the sceptre of your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has anointed you
   with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.'
And,
'In the beginning, Lord, you founded the earth,
   and the heavens are the work of your hands;
they will perish, but you remain;
   they will all wear out like clothing;
like a cloak you will roll them up,
   and like clothing they will be changed.
But you are the same,
   and your years will never end.'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
There is a single moment in birth
between not yet
and now

and we are standing in it

a single moment between grey
and colour

between no life
and new life

a cautious moment
a sacred moment
a holy moment

where a word is foolish
a gesture, senseless
an explanation, wasted

a moment to pause
to leave alone
untouched by narrative

There is a single moment in birth
between not yet
and now

where life takes everything into it's own hands
and with a struggle
made all of heaven
offers itself
to the world

and in a flash of God's eyes
incarnation becomes real
as heaven's own "Gloria's"
break free
and swells the universe

the stars bow
the darkness shatters
the angels proclaim
the light explodes
and God weeps
in joy and pain

a child is born
for everyone.

Gracious Creator of heaven and earth,
your Word has come among us
as the true Sun of Righteousness,
and the Good News of his birth
has gone out to the ends of the world:
Open our eyes to the light of your law,
that we may be freed from sin
and serve you without reproach
for the sake of Jesus Christ, our Light and our Life. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Fill us with wonder on this holy day,
that we may treasure in our hearts
what we have been told,
that our lives may proclaim
your great and gentle mercy. Amen.

The opening act of praise ("Today") and the intercession is adapted by Stephen
Benner from a prayer in _New Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use
of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke.
Used by permission.

The long prayer is by Roddy Hamilton, rghamilton at ntlworld.com

The collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence uses a sentence from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: