OREMUS: 22 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Dec 21 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, December 22, 2006
O Rex gentium

Blessed are you, O Promised One,
Ruler of the nations,
the only desire of every human heart.
The world is waiting from the beginning,
waiting and expecting its God.
Desire of the world
and your mother's desire,
from whom you took the mortal dust you made.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 132

Lord, remember David*
 and all the hardships he endured;
How he swore an oath to the Lord*
 and vowed a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
'I will not come under the roof of my house,*
 nor climb up into my bed;
'I will not allow my eyes to sleep,*
 nor let my eyelids slumber;
'Until I find a place for the Lord,*
 a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.'
'The Ark! We heard it was in Ephrathah;*
 we found it in the fields of Jearim.
'Let us go to God's dwelling place;*
 let us fall upon our knees before his footstool.'
Arise, O Lord, into your resting-place,*
 you and the ark of your strength.
Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;*
 let your faithful people sing with joy.
For your servant David's sake,*
 do not turn away the face of your anointed.
The Lord has sworn an oath to David;*
 in truth, he will not break it:
'A son, the fruit of your body*
 will I set upon your throne.
'If your children keep my covenant
   and my testimonies that I shall teach them,*
 their children will sit upon your throne for evermore.'
For the Lord has chosen Zion,*
 he has desired her for his habitation:
'This shall be my resting-place for ever;*
 here will I dwell, for I delight in her.
'I will surely bless her provisions,*
 and satisfy her poor with bread.
'I will clothe her priests with salvation,*
 and her faithful people will rejoice and sing.
'There will I make the horn of David flourish;*
 I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
'As for his enemies, I will clothe them with shame;*
 but as for him, his crown will shine.'

Psalm 134

Behold now, bless the Lord,
   all you servants of the Lord,*
 you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the holy place
   and bless the Lord;*
 the Lord who made heaven and earth
   bless you out of Zion.

A Song of Hannah (1 Samuel 2.1-2,3b-5,7-8)

My soul exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in my God.

My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in your salvation.

There is no Holy One like you, O Lord,
nor any Rock like you, our God.

For you are a God of knowledge
and by you our actions are weighed.

The bows of the mighty are broken,
but the feeble gird on strength.

Those who were full now hire themselves out for bread,
but those who were hungry are well fed.

The barren woman has borne sevenfold,
but she who has many children is forlorn.

Both the poor and the rich are of your making;
you bring low and you also exalt.

You raise up the poor from the dust,
and lift the needy from the ash heap.

You make them sit with the rulers
and inherit a place of honour.

For the pillars of the earth are yours
and on them you have set the world.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 1:19-28]:

They rose early in the morning and worshipped before the Lord; then they went back to their
house at Ramah. Elkanah knew his wife Hannah, and the Lord remembered her. In due time
Hannah conceived and bore a son. She named him Samuel, for she said, 'I have asked him of the
Lord.'
The man Elkanah and all his household went up to offer to the Lord the yearly sacrifice, and to
pay his vow. But Hannah did not go up, for she said to her husband, 'As soon as the child is
weaned, I will bring him, that he may appear in the presence of the Lord, and remain there for
ever; I will offer him as a nazirite for all time.' Her husband Elkanah said to her, 'Do what seems
best to you, wait until you have weaned him; only may the Lord establish his word.' So the
woman remained and nursed her son, until she weaned him. When she had weaned him, she took
him up with her, along with a three-year-old bull, an ephah of flour, and a skin of wine. She
brought him to the house of the Lord at Shiloh; and the child was young. Then they slaughtered
the bull, and they brought the child to Eli. And she said, 'Oh, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am
the woman who was standing here in your presence, praying to the Lord. For this child I prayed;
and the Lord has granted me the petition that I made to him. Therefore I have lent him to the
Lord; as long as he lives, he is given to the Lord.'
She left him there for the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788), 1744
Tune: Stuttgart, Cross of Jesus, Halton Holgate
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c307.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c307.html

Come, thou long-expected Jesus,
born to set thy people free;
from our fears and sins release us,
let us find our rest in thee.

Israel's strength and consolation,
hope of all the earth thou art:
dear desire of every nation,
joy of every longing heart.

Born thy people to deliver,
born a child, and yet a king,
born to reign in us for ever,
now thy gracious kingdom bring.

By thine own eternal Spirit
rule in all our hearts alone;
by thine all-sufficient merit
raise us to thy glorious throne.

SECOND READING [Luke 1:46-56]:

Mary said,
'My soul magnifies the Lord,
   and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
   Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
   and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
   from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
   he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
   and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
   and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
   in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
   to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.'

And Mary remained with her for about three months and then returned to her home.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
The world is waiting restlessly for you, Lord, to come.
Reward us who wait for you
with surprises we cannot anticipate.
As Mary was astounded by Gabriel's announcement,
so also amaze us with promises beyond our comprehension,
even with responsibilities we fear to accept.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Speak the word to us
that the power of the Holy Spirit will come upon us
that we may fulfill all you have called us to be.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

In these final hours of waiting,
prepare us to plumb the depths
of your incarnation's mystery.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Enable us to bear the fruits of repentance,
lest the outward celebrations of Christmas
not be enacted with the inward reality of faith each day.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Inhabit us continually with your Living Word,
as for centuries you have filled your people with transforming love.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

So satisfy the cravings of the human heart,
that, having seen the great things come to pass,
your people may glorify you and give you praise.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

God of grace,
your eternal Word took flesh among us
when Mary placed her life at the service of your will:
Prepare our hearts for his coming again;
keep us steadfast in hope and faithful in service,
that we may receive the coming of his kingdom,
for the sake of Jesus Christ the ruler of all,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, Desire of nations, bind
in one the hearts of all mankind;
bid thou our sad divisions cease,
and be thyself our King of Peace.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from the
antiphon O Rex gentium, a sentence from the Maronite liturgy and a sentence
from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the
Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint
Luke. Used by permission.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.