OREMUS: 21 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 20 17:00:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, December 21, 2006
O Oriens

Blessed are you, O radiant Dawn,
splendor of eternal light.
Like the sun, the world's Savior, the Sun of justice, will rise
and the Lord shall down to the Virgin's womb
like gentle rain upon the grass.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 87

On the holy mountain stands the city he has founded;*
 the Lord loves the gates of Zion
   more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
Glorious things are spoken of you,*
 O city of our God.
I count Egypt and Babylon among those who know me;*
 behold Philistia, Tyre and Ethiopia:
   in Zion were they born.
Of Zion it shall be said, 'Everyone was born in her,*
 and the Most High himself shall sustain her.'
The Lord will record as he enrols the peoples,*
 'These also were born there.'
The singers and the dancers will say,*
 'All my fresh springs are in you.'

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.

Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;

Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.

The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.

Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.

The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.

You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.

No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;

But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.

For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Song of Songs 2:8-14]:

The voice of my beloved!
   Look, he comes,
leaping upon the mountains,
   bounding over the hills.
My beloved is like a gazelle
   or a young stag.
Look, there he stands
   behind our wall,
gazing in at the windows,
   looking through the lattice.
My beloved speaks and says to me:
'Arise, my love, my fair one,
   and come away;
for now the winter is past,
   the rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth;
   the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtle-dove
   is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
   and the vines are in blossom;
   they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,
   and come away.
O my dove, in the clefts of the rock,
   in the covert of the cliff,
let me see your face,
   let me hear your voice;
for your voice is sweet,
   and your face is lovely.

HYMN
Words: Latin, sixth century;
trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Tune: Conditor alme siderum
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c386.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c386.html

Creator of the stars of night,
thy people's everlasting light,
Jesus, Redeemer, save us all,
hear thou thy servants when they call.

Thou, sorrowing at the helpless cry
of all creation doomed to die,
didst save our lost and guilty race
by healing gifts of heavenly grace.

Thou cam'st, the Bridegroom of the bride,
as drew the world to eventide;
proceeding from a virgin shrine,
the spotless Victim all divine.

At thy great Name, exalted now,
all knees in lowly homage bow;
al things in heaven and earth adore,
and own thee King for evermore.

To thee, O Holy One, we pray,
our Judge in that tremendous day,
ward off, while yet we dwell below,
the weapons of our crafty foe.

To God the Father, God the Son,
and God the Spirit, Three in One,
laud, honor, might and glory be
from age to age eternally.

SECOND READING [Luke 1:39-45]:

In those days Mary set out and went with haste to a Judean town in the hill country, where she
entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the
child leapt in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed with a loud
cry, 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And why has this
happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me? For as soon as I heard the sound of
your greeting, the child in my womb leapt for joy. And blessed is she who believed that there
would be a fulfilment of what was spoken to her by the Lord.'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Gracious God,
out of chaos and darkness
you brought forth the splendor of the universe
and the world in all its beauty:
Light of the world, come!

You sent your Son
at the proper time
to be the Light of the world,
to lead us out of darkness
into the brightness of your truth.
Light of the world, come!

Beyond all the noise and excitement
surrounding this season,
we look for the coming of the new heaven and new earth.
Light of the world, come!

Lord Jesus,
you are coming again in great glory;
send your Spirit upon us
to prepare for this great event.
Light of the world, come!

Lord God,
we await the dawning of the new day
when the earth shall be filled with your glory.
Light of the world, come!

God of all wisdom,
our hearts yearn for the warmth of your love,
and our minds search for the light of your Word:
Increase our longing for Christ our Savior,
and strengthen us to grow in love,
that at the dawn of his coming
we may rejoice in his presence
and welcome the light of his truth;
this we ask in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, thou Dayspring from on high,
and cheer us by thy drawing nigh;
disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
and death's dark shadow put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from the
antiphons O Oriens and Orietur.

The intercession and the collect are adapted from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.