OREMUS: 19 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 18 18:29:43 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 19, 2006
O Radix Jesse

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You sent your Son, the Word born in silence,
to be born as the majestic fruit of Jesse's stem,
standing as a sign to the people of Israel,
and King before whom all kings shall shut their mouths
and whom all nations shall seek.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 118:1-18

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

FIRST READING [Judges 13:2-7,24-25]:

There was a certain man of Zorah, of the tribe of the Danites, whose name was Manoah. His wife
was barren, having borne no children. And the angel of the Lord appeared to the woman and said
to her, 'Although you are barren, having borne no children, you shall conceive and bear a son.
Now be careful not to drink wine or strong drink, or to eat anything unclean, for you shall
conceive and bear a son. No razor is to come on his head, for the boy shall be a nazirite to God
from birth. It is he who shall begin to deliver Israel from the hand of the Philistines.' Then the
woman came and told her husband, 'A man of God came to me, and his appearance was like that
of an angel of God, most awe-inspiring; I did not ask him where he came from, and he did not tell
me his name; but he said to me, "You shall conceive and bear a son. So then drink no wine or
strong drink, and eat nothing unclean, for the boy shall be a nazirite to God from birth to the day
of his death." '
The woman bore a son, and named him Samson. The boy grew, and the Lord blessed him. The
spirit of the Lord began to stir him in Mahaneh-dan, between Zorah and Eshtaol.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke
1:26-38

HYMN
Words: tanzas 1-2: German, fifteenth century carol; trans. Theodore Baker, 1894.
stanzas 3-4: Friedrich Layritz (1808-1859); trans. Harriet Reynolds Krauth (1845-1925).
Tune: Es ist ein Ros
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l189.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l189.html

Lo, how a Rose e'er blooming
from tender stem hath sprung!
of Jesse's lineage coming,
as those of old have sung.
It came, a floweret bright,
amid the cold of winter,
when half spent was the night.

Isaiah 'twas foretold it,
the Rose I have in mind;
with Mary we behold it,
the Virgin Mother kind.
To show God's love aright,
she bore to us a Savior,
when half spent was the night.

The shepherds heard the story
proclaimed by angels bright,
how Christ, the Lord of glory
was born on earth this night.
To Bethlehem they sped
and in the manger they found him,
as angel heralds said.

This Flower, whose fragrance tender
with sweetness fills the air,
dispels with glorious splendor
the darkness everywhere;
true man, yet very God,
from sin and death he saves us,
and lightens every load.

SECOND READING [Luke 1:5-25]:

In the days of King Herod of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the
priestly order of Abijah. His wife was a descendant of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. Both
of them were righteous before God, living blamelessly according to all the commandments and
regulations of the Lord. But they had no children, because Elizabeth was barren, and both were
getting on in years.

Once when he was serving as priest before God and his section was on duty, he was chosen by
lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to enter the sanctuary of the Lord and offer
incense. Now at the time of the incense-offering, the whole assembly of the people was praying
outside. Then there appeared to him an angel of the Lord, standing at the right side of the altar of
incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was terrified; and fear overwhelmed him. But the angel said
to him, 'Do not be afraid, Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will
bear you a son, and you will name him John. You will have joy and gladness, and many will
rejoice at his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He must never drink wine or
strong drink; even before his birth he will be filled with the Holy Spirit. He will turn many of the
people of Israel to the Lord their God. With the spirit and power of Elijah he will go before him,
to turn the hearts of parents to their children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous,
to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.' Zechariah said to the angel, 'How will I know that
this is so? For I am an old man, and my wife is getting on in years.' The angel replied, 'I am
Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this
good news. But now, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their time,
you will become mute, unable to speak, until the day these things occur.'

Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah, and wondered at his delay in the sanctuary.
When he did come out, he could not speak to them, and they realized that he had seen a vision in
the sanctuary. He kept motioning to them and remained unable to speak. When his time of service
was ended, he went to his home.

After those days his wife Elizabeth conceived, and for five months she remained in seclusion. She
said, 'This is what the Lord has done for me when he looked favourably on me and took away the
disgrace I have endured among my people.'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
As we look forward to your coming,
we call to mind our sins.

The hatred which divides nation from nation,
race from race, class from class:
Father forgive.

The covetous desires of people and nations
to possess what is not their own:
Father forgive.

The greed which exploits the work of human hands
and lays waste the earth:
Father forgive.

Our envy of the welfare and happiness of others:
Father forgive.

Our indifference to the plight
of the imprisoned, the homeless and the refugee:
Father forgive.

The lust which dishonors
the bodies of men, women and children:
Father forgive.

The pride which leads us to trust in ourselves
and not in God:
Father forgive.

O Root of Jesse,
master of the universe and ruler of the house of Israel,
your mighty acts have rescued remnants of your people
from the midst of slavery, exile, war, and holocaust:
Raise your scepter over us, that your saving rule
may be extended to all people in all places,
for the sake of him whom we know as Lord of all,
even Jesus, the Christ. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, thou Branch of Jesse's tree,
free them from Satan's tyranny
that trust thy mighty power to save,
and give them victory o'er the grave.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on the
antiphon O Radix and phrases from a prayer from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The intercession is from Coventry Cathedral as given in _Words for
Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The collect (slightly altered) is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A
Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.
The penultimate line is by Stephen Benner.