OREMUS: 18 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Dec 17 23:37:36 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, December 18, 2006
O Adonai

Blessed are you, God of hope,
the Lord of ancient Israel,
who showed yourself to Moses in the burning bush
and gave him the holy law on Sinai.
You call us home from the exile of selfish oppression
to the freedom of justice,
the balm of healing,
and the joy of sharing.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 84

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 23:5-8]:

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and
he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In
his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. And this is the name by which he will be
called: 'The Lord is our righteousness.'
Therefore, the days are surely coming, says the Lord, when it shall no longer be said, 'As the Lord
lives who brought the people of Israel up out of the land of Egypt', but 'As the Lord lives who
brought out and led the offspring of the house of Israel out of the land of the north and out of all
the lands where he had driven them.' Then they shall live in their own land.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke
1:1-25

HYMN
Words: Latin, tenth century; trans. Charles Bigg, 1906
Tune: Verbum supernum prodiens
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h250.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h250.html

High Word of God, who once didst come,
leaving thy Father and thy home,
to succor by thy birth our kind,
when, towards thy advent, time declined,

Pour light upon us from above,
and fire our hearts with thy strong love,
that, as we hear thy Gospel read,
all fond desires may flee in dread;

That when thou comest from the skies,
great Judge, to open thine assize,
to give each hidden sin its smart,
and crown as kings the pure in heart,

We be not set at thy left hand,
where sentence due would bid us stand,
but with the saints thy face may see,
forever wholly loving thee.

Praise to the Father and the Son,
through all the ages as they run;
and to the holy Paraclete
be praise with them and worship meet.

SECOND READING [Matthew 1:18-25]:

Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been
engaged to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found to be with child from the Holy
Spirit. Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace,
planned to dismiss her quietly. But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord
appeared to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your
wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to
name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.' All this took place to fulfil what had
been spoken by the Lord through the prophet:
'Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
   and they shall name him Emmanuel',
which means, 'God is with us.' When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord
commanded him; he took her as his wife, but had no marital relations with her until she had borne
a son; and he named him Jesus.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O Lord,
you have revealed yourself in manifold ways
throughout human history.
You are surely coming and without delay:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

At your coming all things will rejoice:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

You come to show us our dignity as God's children:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

Look with compassion on the sick and the suffering:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

Help us to recognize the signs of the times:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

May all things be judged in the light of your truth:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

O God of the exiles and the lost,
you promise restoration and wholeness
through the power of Jesus Christ.
Give us faith to live joyfully,
sustained by your promises
as we eagerly await the day when they will be fulfilled
for all the world to see,
through the coming of our your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, O come, thou Lord of might,
who to thy tribes on Sinai's height
in ancient times didst give the law,
in cloud, and majesty, and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on the
antiphon O Adonai and a sentence from _Revised
Common Texts.

The collect is reprinted from _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts.