OREMUS: 17 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 16 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, December 17, 2006
The Third Sunday of Advent (O Sapientia)

Blessed are you, O Wisdom, O holy Word of God,
coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
pervading and permeating all creation,
you order all things with strength and gentleness:
You are our Lord Jesus Christ,
who in these late times became human.
that he might unite the end with the beginning.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'<td
colspan=2>
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

FIRST READING [Genesis 49:2,8-10]:

Assemble and hear, O sons of Jacob;
   listen to Israel your father.

'Judah, your brothers shall praise you;
   your hand shall be on the neck of your enemies;
   your father's sons shall bow down before you.
Judah is a lion's whelp;
   from the prey, my son, you have gone up.
He crouches down, he stretches out like a lion,
   like a lioness who dares rouse him up?
The sceptre shall not depart from Judah,
   nor the ruler's staff from between his feet,
until tribute comes to him;
   and the obedience of the peoples is his.

HYMN
Words: (c) Timothy Dudley-Smith
Tune: Repton, Lobt Gott ihr Christen
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h114a.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h114a.ht
ml

He comes to us as one unknown,
a breath unseen, unheard;
as though within a heart of stone,
or shriveled seed in darkness sown,
a pulse of being stirred.

He comes when souls in silence lie
and thoughts of day depart,
half-seen upon the inward eye,
a falling star across the sky
of night within the heart.

He comes to us in sound of seas,
the ocean's fume and foam;
yet small and still upon the breeze,
a wind that stirs the tops of trees,
a voice to call us home.

He comes in love as once he came
by flesh and blood and birth;
to bear within our mortal frame
a life, a death, a saving name
for every child of earth.

He comes in truth when faith is grown;
believed, obeyed, adored:
the Christ in all the scriptures shown,
as yet unseen, but not unknown,
our Savior, and our Lord.

SECOND READING []:

An account of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

Abraham was the father of Isaac, and Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of Judah and
his brothers, and Judah the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, and Perez the father of Hezron,
and Hezron the father of Aram, and Aram the father of Aminadab, and Aminadab the father of
Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon, and Salmon the father of Boaz by Rahab, and Boaz
the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of King
David.

And David was the father of Solomon by the wife of Uriah, and Solomon the father of Rehoboam,
and Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah the father of Asaph,

So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David to the
deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the deportation to Babylon to the
Messiah, fourteen generations.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Come, O Wisdom, come!

Word, spoken in eternity by mouth of the Most High,
O Wisdom of the mind and heart of God!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

Eternal Archetype, all creation's beauty
is fragment of your loveliness!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

Great Logos come to rest in the Virgin's womb!
O Little Wisdom born to us!
Almighty clothed in tenderness!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

>From end to end of time,
the grace of Love Incarnate orders all.
Come, O Wisdom, come!

O Wisdom, let me partake of you and yet still hunger,
and let me drink of you and always thirst.
Come, O Wisdom, come!

O Wisdom that is Love and love's Delight,
teach me to search him through the darkened streets
for whom our hearts long
Come, O Wisdom, come!

O Wisdom,
your words uttered in the beginning
generated a world of beauty and goodness,
giving purpose and value to each creature;
Instruct us in the way of prudence,
that we may nurture the world with justice and joy;
through the Name of the One who is Coming,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, thou Wisdom from on high,
who orderest all things mightily;
to us the path of knowledge show,
and teach us in her ways to go.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on the
Vespers antiphon 'O Sapientia' and a sentence from Irenaeus of Lyons, second
century.

Hymn (c) 1984 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories
except the UK, Europe & Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England
First line by Albert Schweitzer, The Quest of the Historical Jesus 1910.

The intercession is adapted from prayers reprinted from
_THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use
of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke.
Used by permission.