OREMUS: 13 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Dec 12 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Lucy, Martyr at Syracuse, 304

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 80

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 35:3-7]:

Strengthen the weak hands,
   and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to those who are of a fearful heart,
   'Be strong, do not fear!
Here is your God.
   He will come with vengeance,
with terrible recompense.
   He will come and save you.'

Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened,
   and the ears of the deaf unstopped;
then the lame shall leap like a deer,
   and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
   and streams in the desert;
the burning sand shall become a pool,
   and the thirsty ground springs of water;
the haunt of jackals shall become a swamp,
   the grass shall become reeds and rushes.

HYMN
Words: The Venerable Bede (673-735);
trans. John Mason Neale, 1854
Tune: The Truth from Above

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t164.html

The great forerunner of the morn,
the herald of the Word, is born;
and faithful hearts shall never fail
with thanks and praise his light to hail.

With heavenly message Gabriel came,
that John should be the herald's name,
and with prophetic utterance told
his actions great and manifold.

John, still unborn, yet gave aright
his witness to the coming light;
and Christ, the Sun of all the earth,
fulfilled that witness at his birth.

Of woman born shall never be
a greater prophet than was he,
whose mighty deeds exalt his fame
to greater than a prophet's name.

All praise to God the Father be,
all praise, eternal Son, to thee,
whom with the Spirit we adore
for ever and for evermore.

SECOND READING [Luke 7:18-30]:

The disciples of John reported all these things to him. So John summoned two of his
disciples and sent them to the Lord to ask, 'Are you the one who is to come, or are we
to wait for another?' When the men had come to him, they said, 'John the Baptist has
sent us to you to ask, "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for
another?" ' Jesus had just then cured many people of diseases, plagues, and evil spirits,
and had given sight to many who were blind. And he answered them, 'Go and tell John
what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers
are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have good news brought to
them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offence at me.'

When John's messengers had gone, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John:
'What did you go out into the wilderness to look at? A reed shaken by the wind? What
then did you go out to see? Someone dressed in soft robes? Look, those who put on
fine clothing and live in luxury are in royal palaces. What then did you go out to see?
A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is
written,
"See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
   who will prepare your way before you."
I tell you, among those born of women no one is greater than John; yet the least in the
kingdom of God is greater than he.' (And all the people who heard this, including the
tax-collectors, acknowledged the justice of God, because they had been baptized with
John's baptism. But by refusing to be baptized by him, the Pharisees and the lawyers
rejected God's purpose for themselves.)

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
We pray especially for the Diocese of
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection
receive into your kingdom those who have died
  trusting in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us
  for work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
  and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

God of power and mercy,
you call us once again to celebrate the coming of your Son:
Remove those things which hinder love of you,
that when he comes, he may find us waiting in awe and wonder
for him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

God our redeemer,
who gave light to the world that was in darkness
by the healing power of the Savior's cross:
shed that light on us, we pray,
that with your martyr Lucy
we may, by the purity of our lives,
reflect the light of Christ
and, by the merits of his passion,
come to the light of everlasting life;

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts; and another sentence from
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_,
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The early Roman lists of martyrs commemorate Lucy, virgin and martyr, on 13
December, and her name, with that of Agatha, appears in the Roman Liturgy as
an example of those who have gone before us, in whose company we join in
giving thanks and praise to God. Aside from this, little is known of her, except
that she lived in Syracuse in Sicily, and probably died around 304. Her name,
which means "light," probably accounts for the story that her eyes were put out
and her eyesight miraculously restored, and may be connected with the fact
that her feast occurs near the time when (in the Northern Hemisphere) the
nights are longest. In Sweden and elsewhere, the day is observed by having one
of the daughters of the house dress in a white robe with a crown of lighted
candles and go singing from room to room early in the morning when it is still
dark to awaken the other family members and to offer them St. Lucy's Cakes
and hot coffee. [James Kiefer]