OREMUS: 12 December 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Tue Dec 12 16:06:42 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

O Lord our governor,*
  how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
  your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
  to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
  the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
  mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
  you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
  and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
  even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
  and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
  how exalted is your name in all the world!

Psalm 92
It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
  and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning*
  and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
  and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
  and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
  your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
    nor does the fool understand,*
  that though the wicked grow like weeds,
    and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
  but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
    lo, your enemies shall perish,*
  and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
    like the horns of wild bulls;*
  I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
  and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
    who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
  and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
  shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
  they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
  my rock, in whom there is no fault.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 19:18-25]:

On that day there will be five cities in the land of Egypt that speak the
language of Canaan and swear allegiance to the Lord of hosts. One of these
will be called the City of the Sun.

On that day there will be an altar to the Lord in the centre of the land of
Egypt, and a pillar to the Lord at its border. It will be a sign and a
witness to the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt; when they cry to the
Lord because of oppressors, he will send them a saviour, and will defend
and deliver them. The Lord will make himself known to the Egyptians; and
the Egyptians will know the Lord on that day, and will worship with
sacrifice and burnt-offering, and they will make vows to the Lord and
perform them. The Lord will strike Egypt, striking and healing; they will
return to the Lord, and he will listen to their supplications and heal them.

On that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian
will come into Egypt, and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians will
worship with the Assyrians.

On that day Israel will be the third with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing in
the midst of the earth, whom the Lord of hosts has blessed, saying,
'Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel
my heritage.'

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1719 in The Psalms of David
Tune: Thatcher

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b073.html

Behold, the morning sun
begins his glorious way;
his beams through all the nations run,
and life and light convey.

But where the Gospel comes
it spreads diviner light;
it calls dead sinners from their tombs,
and gives the blind their sight.

How perfect is thy word!
And all thy judgments just!
For ever sure thy promise, Lord,
and men securely trust.

My gracious God, how plain
are thy directions given!
O may I never read in vain,
but find the path to heaven!

I hear thy word with love,
and I would fain obey:
send thy good Spirit from above
to guide me, lest I stray.

O who can ever find
the errors of his ways?
Yet with a bold, presumptuous mind
I would not dare transgress.

Warn me of every sin,
forgive my secret faults,
and cleanse this guilty soul of mine,
whose crimes exceed my thoughts.

While with my heart and tongue
I spread thy praise abroad,
accept the worship and the song,
my Savior and my God.

SECOND READING [2 Peter 1:2-15]:

May grace and peace be yours in abundance in the knowledge of God and of
Jesus our Lord.

His divine power has given us everything needed for life and godliness,
through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
Thus he has given us, through these things, his precious and very great
promises, so that through them you may escape from the corruption that is
in the world because of lust, and may become participants in the divine
nature. For this very reason, you must make every effort to support your
faith with goodness, and goodness with knowledge, and knowledge with
self-control, and self-control with endurance, and endurance with
godliness, and godliness with mutual affection, and mutual affection with
love. For if these things are yours and are increasing among you, they keep
you from being ineffective and unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord
Jesus Christ. For anyone who lacks these things is short-sighted and blind,
and is forgetful of the cleansing of past sins. Therefore, brothers and
sisters, be all the more eager to confirm your call and election, for if
you do this, you will never stumble. For in this way, entry into the
eternal kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ will be richly
provided for you.

Therefore I intend to keep on reminding you of these things, though you
know them already and are established in the truth that has come to you. I
think it right, as long as I am in this body, to refresh your memory, since
I know that my death will come soon, as indeed our Lord Jesus Christ has
made clear to me. And I will make every effort so that after my departure
you may be able at any time to recall these things.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
In joyful expectation of his coming to our aid
we pray to Jesus, saying,
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge.
We pray for ...
Help us to live in the light of your coming
and give us a longing for your rule.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your world as King of the nations.
We pray for ...
Before you rulers will stand in silence.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your people with a message of victory and peace.
We pray for ...
Give us the victory over death, temptation and evil.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us as Saviour and Comforter.
We pray for ...
Break in to those areas of our lives
where we live with failure and distress,
and set us free to serve you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us from heaven with power and great glory,
to lift us up to meet you,
with all your saints and angels,
to live with you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

O God the Word and Son of God,
exalted is your name in all creation,
yet you have stooped to become one with us:
as you have ordained humanity the steward of your creation,
so minister through us the mystery of your salvation;
to the glory of your holy Name. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright © 2002 Consultation on
Common Texts; and another sentence from Opening Prayers: Collects in
Contemporary Language, Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from Common Worship: Services
and Prayers for the Church of England, material from which is included in
this service is copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2000.