OREMUS: 10 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 9 22:59:25 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, November 10, 2006
The Second Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

Psalm 129

'Greatly have they oppressed me since my youth',*
 let Israel now say;
'Greatly have they oppressed me since my youth,*
 but they have not prevailed against me.'
Those who plow ploughed upon my back*
 and made their furrows long.
The Lord, the Righteous One,*
 has cut the cords of the wicked.
Let them be put to shame and thrown back,*
 all those who are enemies of Zion.
Let them be like grass upon the housetops,*
 which withers before it can be plucked;
Which does not fill the hand of the reaper,*
 nor the bosom of him who binds the sheaves;
So that those who go by say not so much as,
   'The Lord prosper you.*
 We wish you well in the name of the Lord.'

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Malachi 4:1-6]:

See, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all
the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble; the day
that comes shall burn them up, says the Lord of hosts, so
that it will leave them neither root nor branch. But for
you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall
rise, with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping
like calves from the stall. And you shall tread down the
wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your
feet, on the day when I act, says the Lord of hosts.
Remember the teaching of my servant Moses, the statutes
and ordinances that I commanded him at Horeb for all
Israel.
Lo, I will send you the prophet Elijah before the great
and terrible day of the Lord comes. He will turn the
hearts of parents to their children and the hearts of
children to their parents, so that I will not come and
strike the land with a curse.

HYMN
Words: The Venerable Bede (673-735); trans. C.S. Calverley, 1906
Tune: Hail, Harbinger of Morn
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h011.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h
/h011.html

Hail, harbinger of morn:
thou that art this day born,
and heraldest the Word with clarion voice!
Ye faithful ones, in him
behold the dawning dim
of the bright day, and let your hearts rejoice.

John--by that chosen name
to call him, Gabriel came
by God's appointment from his home on high:
what deeds that babe should do
to manhood when he grew,
God sent his Angel forth to testify.

There is none greater, none,
than Zechariah's son;
than this no mightier prophet hath been born:
of prophets he may claim
more than a prophet's fame;
sublimer deeds than theirs his brow adorn.

"Lo, to prepare thy way,"
did God the Father say,
"Before thy face my messenger I send,
thy coming to forerun;
as on the orient sun
doth the bright daystar morn by morn attend."

Praise therefore God most high;
praise him who came to die
for us, his Son that liveth evermore;
and to the Spirit raise,
the Comforter, like praise,
while time endureth, and when time is o'er.

SECOND READING [Luke 9:1-6]:

Jesus called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons
and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to
heal. He said to them, 'Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor
money not even an extra tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there, and leave from
there. Wherever they do not welcome you, as you are leaving that town shake the dust
off your feet as a testimony against them.' They departed and went through the
villages, bringing the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

For the Church:
that we may make ready a way for the Lord
and make a straight path for God in our hearts:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the grace of listening:
that our hearts may be open to the Word of God
as it comes to us and that our lives may be transformed by it:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the grace of insight:
that we may see the work of God in our time and our place
and recognize God Who is with Us in events large and small in our lives:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who live the Gospel message in sincerity and humility:
that they may courageously witness to the power of grace
even when confronted by the powerful of society:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For a reawakening of our hearts:
that we may embrace the vision that God offers
for wholeness, reconciliation and new beginnings for all:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For freedom and healing:
that all who are struggling with obstacles, especially addictions and pride,
may experience God's help in moving forward toward wholeness:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who are oppressed: t
hat God may smooth the pathways of their lives
and bring low those who abuse their power and authority:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all children:
that the hope that fills their hearts in this season
may become firmly planted and sustain them throughout life's journey:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For an end to war:
that God's Spirit will inspire the hearts of all world leaders
to take risks for peace and seek new ways
to honor the dignity of each human person:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Stir up our hearts, O Lord,
to prepare the way for your only Son:
By his coming give us strength in our conflicts
and shed light on our path through the darkness of this world;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts; and another sentence from
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_,
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.