OREMUS: 8 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Dec 7 21:19:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, December 8, 2006
The Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

truly you work wonders over all the earth
and from age to age you extend your gracious mercy.
You looked with favor on your lowly servant,
the Blessed Virgin Mary,
and through her you gave to the world
Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
the author of salvation for humankind.
For these and all your mercies we praise you,

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 85

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

FIRST READING [Genesis 12:1-7]:

Now the Lord said to Abram, 'Go from your country and your kindred and your
father's house to the land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation,
and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I
will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you
all the families of the earth shall be blessed.'
So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was
seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. Abram took his wife Sarai
and his brother's son Lot, and all the possessions that they had gathered, and the
persons whom they had acquired in Haran; and they set forth to go to the land of
Canaan. When they had come to the land of Canaan, Abram passed through the
land to the place at Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. At that time the Canaanites
were in the land. Then the Lord appeared to Abram, and said, 'To your offspring I
will give this land.' So he built there an altar to the Lord, who had appeared to
him.

HYMN
Words: Ascribed to Rabanus Maurus, ninth century;
trans. T. A. Lacey, 1906
Tune: Collaudemus
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a158.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymn
al/a/a158.html

All prophets hail thee, from of old announcing,
by the inbreathed Spirit of the father,
God's Mother, bringing prophecies to fullness,
Mary the maiden.

Thou the true Virgin Mother of the Highest,
Bearing incarnate God in awed obedience,
meekly acceptest for a sinless offspring
purification.

In the high temple Simeon receives thee,
takes to his bent arms with a holy rapture
that promised Savior, vision of redemption,
Christ long awaited.

Now the fair realm of Paradise attaining,
and to thy Son's throne, Mother of the Eternal,
raised all glorious, yet in earth's devotion
join with us always.

Glory and worship to the Lord of all things
pay we unresting, who alone adored,
Father and Son and Spirit, in the highest
reigneth eternal.

SECOND READING [Romans 8:28-30]:

We know that all things work together for good for those
who love God, who are called according to his purpose.
For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be
conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might
be the firstborn within a large family. And those whom he
predestined he also called; and those whom he called he
also justified; and those whom he justified he also
glorified.

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
As we pray to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
we say with Mary:

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Your prophet of old foretold a day when a virgin would
conceive and bear a son who would be called
God-with-us. Help us to look forward to your
deliverance and to seek the fulness of your kingdom.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Your angel declared to Mary that she was to be the
mother of the Saviour. Help every Christian person to
be open to your word and obedient to your will.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Mary rejoiced with Elizabeth, and sang your praise, `My
soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.' Help us to
live joyful lives that sing your praise.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Mary bore a son of David's line, born a king whose
reign would never end. Bless all the nations of the
world with Christ's gift of peace.
Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

The child Jesus grew in wisdom and stature in the home
of Mary and Joseph. Strengthen our homes and families,
and keep under your protection (... and) all those whom
we love.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
    - Holy is your name.

At the foot of the cross of Christ stood his mother,
and from the cross she received his lifeless body in
her arms. Give comfort and healing to (... and) all who
suffer and all who watch the suffering of those they
love.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

The apostle John saw a vision of a woman in heaven,
robed with the sun. Bring us with (... and) all those
who have died in the faith of Christ to share the joy
of heaven with Mary and all the saints.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Eternal God,
who prepared the blessed Virgin Mary
to be the mother of your Son:
grant that, as we rejoice in his coming as our Savior,
so we may be ready to greet him
when he comes as our Judge;
for he is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Hail Mary,
the most beautiful dove,
which carried the word of God for us;
we greet you with the Archangel Gabriel saying:
Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with you.
Hail, O Virgin, the glory of our race;
you have borne Emmanuel for us.
We pray that you will remember us
before the Lord Jesus Christ,
that he will forgive us our sins. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The closing prayer is of Coptic origin.

This festival in honour of the conception of the mother of our Lord is
celebrated on this day in both the eastern and the western Church. This feast,
which dates from the seventh century, acknowledges the preparation by God of
his people to receive their Saviour and Lord, putting 'heaven in ordinary' and
showing that mortal flesh can indeed bring Christ to the world. [Exciting
Holiness]