OREMUS: 5 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 4 18:14:58 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Blessed are you, loving God,
ever faithful to your promises
and ever close to your church.
The earth rejoices in hope of the Savior's coming
and looks forward with longing
to his return at the end of time.
You call us to prepare our hearts
and remove that which hinders us
from the joy and hope his presence will bestow.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 33

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 7:18-29]:

Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and
said, 'Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that
you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small
thing in your eyes, O Lord God; you have spoken also of
your servant's house for a great while to come. May this
be instruction for the people, O Lord God! And what more
can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Lord
God! Because of your promise, and according to your own
heart, you have wrought all this greatness, so that your
servant may know it. Therefore you are great, O Lord God;
for there is no one like you, and there is no God besides
you, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
Who is like your people, like Israel? Is there another
nation on earth whose God went to redeem it as a people,
and to make a name for himself, doing great and awesome
things for them, by driving out before his people nations
and their gods? And you established your people Israel
for yourself to be your people for ever; and you, O Lord,
became their God. And now, O Lord God, as for the word
that you have spoken concerning your servant and
concerning his house, confirm it for ever; do as you have
promised. Thus your name will be magnified for ever in
the saying, "The Lord of hosts is God over Israel"; and
the house of your servant David will be established
before you. For you, O Lord of hosts, the God of Israel,
have made this revelation to your servant, saying, "I
will build you a house"; therefore your servant has found
courage to pray this prayer to you. And now, O Lord God,
you are God, and your words are true, and you have
promised this good thing to your servant; now therefore
may it please you to bless the house of your servant, so
that it may continue for ever before you; for you, O Lord
God, have spoken, and with your blessing shall the house
of your servant be blessed for ever.'

HYMN
Words: Frederick William Henry Myers, 1867
Tune: Welwyn

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h089.html

Hark, what a sound, and too divine for hearing,
stirs on the earth and trembles in the air!
Is it the thunder of the Lord's appearing?
Is it the music of his people's prayer?

Surely he cometh, and a thousand voices
shout to the saints and to the deaf and dumb;
surely he cometh, and the earth rejoices,
glad in his coming who hath sworn, I come.

So even I, and with a pang more thrilling,
so even I, and with a hope more sweet,
yearn for the sign, O Christ, of thy fulfilling,
faint for the flaming of thine advent feet.

Yea, through life, death, through sorrow and through sinning,
he shall suffice me, for he hath sufficŠd:
Christ is the end, for Christ was the beginning,
Christ the beginning, for the end is Christ.

SECOND READING [Revelation 22:12-16]:

'See, I am coming soon; my reward is with me, to repay according to everyone's
work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the
end.'
Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they will have the right to the tree of
life and may enter the city by the gates. Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and
fornicators and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practises
falsehood.
'It is I, Jesus, who sent my angel to you with this testimony for the churches. I am the
root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.'

Watchful at all times,
let us pray for strength to stand with confidence
before our Maker and Redeemer.

That God may bring in his kingdom with judgement and mercy,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That God may establish among the nations
his sceptre of righteousness, let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That the Church may seek him in the scriptures
and recognise him in the breaking of the bread,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That God may bind up the broken-hearted,
restore the sick and raise up all who have fallen,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That the light of God's coming may dawn
on all who live in darkness and in the shadow of death,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That with all the saints in light,
we may shine forth as lights of the world,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

So we commend ourselves and all for whom we pray
to the mercy and protection of our heavenly Father:

Gracious God,
your vision of peace and wholeness
comes to us in sweeping revelations
and in tiny signs of hope.
Kindle our hearts, that we might be a hopeful people.
Keep us from growing weary of waiting
so that we do not miss the glory of your appearing.
Even so, come quickly. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

O Son of God, our Savior,
today we await your coming,
and tomorrow we shall see your glory.
Reveal the good news to all of us
who long for your arrival.
Come, Love incarnate, do not delay.
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with
permission.

The collect is by Robert Oliphant.