OREMUS: 3 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 2 19:57:41 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, December 3, 2006
The First Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, loving God,
ever faithful to your promises
and ever close to your church.
The earth rejoices in hope of the Savior's coming
and looks forward with longing
to his return at the end of time.
You call us to prepare our hearts
and remove that which hinders us
from the joy and hope his presence will bestow.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 62:6-12]:

Upon your walls, O Jerusalem,
   I have posted sentinels;
all day and all night
   they shall never be silent.
You who remind the Lord,
   take no rest,
and give him no rest
   until he establishes Jerusalem
   and makes it renowned throughout the earth.
The Lord has sworn by his right hand
   and by his mighty arm:
I will not again give your grain
   to be food for your enemies,
and foreigners shall not drink the wine
   for which you have laboured;
but those who garner it shall eat it
   and praise the Lord,
and those who gather it shall drink it
   in my holy courts.

Go through, go through the gates,
   prepare the way for the people;
build up, build up the highway,
   clear it of stones,
   lift up an ensign over the peoples.
The Lord has proclaimed
   to the end of the earth:
Say to daughter Zion,
   'See, your salvation comes;
his reward is with him,
   and his recompense before him.'
They shall be called, 'The Holy People,
   The Redeemed of the Lord';
and you shall be called, 'Sought Out,
   A City Not Forsaken.'

HYMN
Words: Laurentius Laurenti, 1700; trans. Sarah Findlater
Tune: Llangloffan, Lancashire, Greenland
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r023.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r
023.html

Rejoice, rejoice, believers,
and let your lights appear;
the evening is advancing,
and darker night is near.
The Bridegroom is arising,
and soon he draweth nigh;
up, pray, and watch, and wrestle:
at midnight comes the cry.

See that your lamps are burning;
replenish them with oil;
and wait for your salvation,
the end of earthly toil.
The watchers on the mountain
proclaim the Bridegroom near;
go meet him as he cometh,
with alleluias clear.

O wise and holy virgins,
now raise your voices higher,
until in songs of triumph
ye meet the angel choir.
The marriage feast is waiting,
the gates wide open stand;
rise up, ye heirs of glory,
the Bridegroom is at hand.

Our hope and expectation,
O Jesus, now appear!
Arise, thou Sun so longed for,
over this benighted sphere!
With hearts and hands uplifted,
we plead, O Lord, to see
the day of earth's redemption
that brings us unto thee.

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 5:1-11]:

Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers and sisters, you do not need to
have anything written to you. For you yourselves know very well that the day of the
Lord will come like a thief in the night. When they say, 'There is peace and security',
then sudden destruction will come upon them, as labour pains come upon a pregnant
woman, and there will be no escape! But you, beloved, are not in darkness, for that
day to surprise you like a thief; for you are all children of light and children of the day;
we are not of the night or of darkness. So then, let us not fall asleep as others do, but
let us keep awake and be sober; for those who sleep sleep at night, and those who are
drunk get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on
the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. For God has
destined us not for wrath but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live with him.
Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing.

For the Church:
that we may have the eyes of faith to recognize God's invitation
in the signs of our time and to recognize ways
to help others see God's redeeming love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the grace of hope:
that our hearts may be filled with childlike expectancy
as we await the coming of God's reign in our lives.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For strength and peace in the face of suffering:
that God will plant the divine Word of hope deep in our hearts
and give us the strength to remain faithful
even when tragedy and suffering enter our lives.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who live in fear and confusion,
for those living in refugee camps or mighty fortresses,
for those who have suffered abuse
or who live with painful memories of wrongs they have done:
that God's loving embrace will free them from fear
and open a new way of life for them.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all burdened with guilt and scruples:
that they may experience God's redeeming love
and accept the gift of freedom that God's love brings.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all people:
that Christ may increase our love for one another
and help us to be overflowing with generosity.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
your promises stand unshaken through all generations:
Renew us in hope, that we may be awake and alert
watching for the glorious return of Jesus Christ,
our judge and savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

O Son of God, our Savior,
today we await your coming,
and tomorrow we shall see your glory.
Reveal the good news to all of us
who long for your arrival.
Come, Love incarnate, do not delay.
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with
permission.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by the Center for Liturgy at Saint
Louis University.

Westminster / John Knox Press.