OREMUS: 2 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Dec 1 21:43:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, December 2, 2006

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

 I will tell of all your marvellous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;*
 I will sing to your name, O Most High.
When my enemies are driven back,*
 they will stumble and perish at your presence.
For you have maintained my right and my cause;*
 you sit upon your throne judging right.
You have rebuked the ungodly and destroyed the wicked;*
 you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
As for the enemy, they are finished, in perpetual ruin,*
 their cities ploughed under,
   the memory of them perished;
But the Lord is enthroned for ever;*
 he has set up his throne for judgement.
It is he who rules the world with righteousness;*
 he judges the peoples with equity.
The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed,*
 a refuge in time of trouble.
Those who know your name will put their trust in you,*
 for you never forsake those who seek you, O Lord.
Sing praise to the Lord who dwells in Zion;*
 proclaim to the peoples the things he has done.
The avenger of blood will remember them;*
 he will not forget the cry of the afflicted.
Have pity on me, O Lord;*
 see the misery I suffer from those who hate me,
   O you who lift me up from the gate of death;
So that I may tell of all your praises
   and rejoice in your salvation*
 in the gates of the city of Zion.
The ungodly have fallen into the pit they dug,*
 and in the snare they set is their own foot caught.
The Lord is known by his acts of justice;*
 the wicked are trapped in the works of their own hands.
The wicked shall be given over to the grave,*
 and also all the peoples that forget God.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,*
 and the hope of the poor shall not perish for ever.
Rise up, O Lord,
   let not the ungodly have the upper hand;*
 let them be judged before you.
Put fear upon them, O Lord;*
 let the ungodly know they are but mortal.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 9:26-31]:

Ezra continued, "Nevertheless they were disobedient and
rebelled against you and cast your law behind their backs
and killed your prophets, who had warned them in order to
turn them back to you, and they committed great
blasphemies. Therefore you gave them into the hands of
their enemies, who made them suffer. Then in the time of
their suffering they cried out to you and you heard them
from heaven, and according to your great mercies you gave
them saviours who saved them from the hands of their
enemies. But after they had rest, they again did evil
before you, and you abandoned them to the hands of their
enemies, so that they had dominion over them; yet when
they turned and cried to you, you heard from heaven, and
many times you rescued them according to your mercies.
And you warned them in order to turn them back to your
law. Yet they acted presumptuously and did not obey your
commandments, but sinned against your ordinances, by the
observance of which a person shall live. They turned a
stubborn shoulder and stiffened their neck and would not
obey. For many years you were patient with them, and
warned them by your spirit through your prophets; yet
they would not listen. Therefore you handed them over to
the peoples of the lands. Nevertheless, in your great
mercies you did not make an end of them or forsake them,
for you are a gracious and merciful God."

HYMN
Words: Walter Scott, 1805
Tune: Babylon's Streams, St. Cross

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t063.html

That day of wrath, that dreadful day,
when heaven and earth shall pass away!
What power shall be the sinner's stay?
How shall he meet that dreadful day?

When, shriveling like a parchŠd scroll,
the flaming heavens together roll;
when louder yet, and yet more dread;
swells the high trump that wakes the dead.

O on that day, that wrathful day
when man to judgment wakes from clay,
be thou the trembling sinner's stay,
though heaven and earth shall pass away.

SECOND READING [Luke 21:20-24]:

Jesus said, 'When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its
desolation has come near. Then those in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those
inside the city must leave it, and those out in the country must not enter it; for these
are days of vengeance, as a fulfilment of all that is written. Woe to those who are
pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! For there will be great
distress on the earth and wrath against this people; they will fall by the edge of the
sword and be taken away as captives among all nations; and Jerusalem will be
trampled on by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.'

under whose wings we dwell in safety and mercy,
we give you thanks for all the seasons of grace:
for hope that cries out with prophetic voice,
for your gift of Emmanuel,
for your light that shines in the darkness:
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Enable us to make fresh beginnings
during these Advent days...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Release the everlasting stream of your justice and peace
that it may flow among the nations...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

For your Church reaching out in every place, especially
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Save and defend all who suffer want, brokenness, or trouble...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Resupply your Church and its leaders
with the oil of gladness and vigilance...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Remember all who cry to you from death's dark gates,
O Lord most high;
do not forget those whom the world forgets,
but raise them to the gates of Zion
with your all-conquering Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.