OREMUS: 1 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Aug 31 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, September 1, 2006

Blessed are you, Holy God,
you liberate the oppressed
and make a way of salvation.
You call us to unite ourselves with all who cry for justice,
and lead us together into freedom
through our Lord and Liberator,
Jesus Christ.

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
   from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

A Song of the Justified (Romans 4.24,25; 5.1-5,8,9,11)

God reckons as righteous those who believe,
who believe in him who raised Jesus from the dead;

For Christ was handed over to death for our sins,
and raised to life for our justification.

Since we are justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Through Christ we have gained access
to the grace in which we stand,
and rejoice in our hope of the glory of God.

We even exult in our sufferings,
for suffering produces endurance,

And endurance brings hope,
and our hope is not in vain,

Because God's love has been poured into our hearts,
through the Holy Spirit, given to us.

God proves his love for us:
while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Since we have been justified by his death,
how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath.

Therefore, we exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we have now received our reconciliation.

FIRST READING [Song of Songs 2:1-7]:

I am a rose of Sharon,
   a lily of the valleys.

As a lily among brambles,
   so is my love among maidens.

As an apple tree among the trees of the wood,
   so is my beloved among young men.
With great delight I sat in his shadow,
   and his fruit was sweet to my taste.
He brought me to the banqueting house,
   and his intention towards me was love.
Sustain me with raisins,
   refresh me with apples;
   for I am faint with love.
O that his left hand were under my head,
   and that his right hand embraced me!
I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
   by the gazelles or the wild does:
do not stir up or awaken love
   until it is ready!

HYMN
Words: Henry Downton, 1843
Tune: Savannah, Culbach

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f225.html

For thy mercy and thy grace,
constant through another year,
hear our song of thankfulness;
Jesus, our Redeemer, hear.

Lo! our sins on thee we cast,
thee, our perfect sacrifice;
and, forgetting all the past,
press towards our glorious prize.

Dark the future: let thy light
guide us, bright and morning Star:
fierce our foes, and hard the fight;
arm us, Savior, for the war.

In our weakness and distress,
Rock of strength, be thou our stay;
in the pathless wilderness
be our true and living way.

Who of us death's awful road
in the coming year shall tread?
with thy rod and staff, O God,
comfort thou his dying bed.

Keep us faithful, keep us pure,
keep us evermore thine own;
help, O help us to endure;
fit us for the promised crown.

So within Thy palace gate
We shall praise, on golden strings,
Thee the only Potentate,
Lord of lords, and King of kings.

SECOND READING [James 1:9-16]:

Let the believer who is lowly boast in being raised up, and the rich in being brought
low, because the rich will disappear like a flower in the field. For the sun rises with its
scorching heat and withers the field; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. It is the
same with the rich; in the midst of a busy life, they will wither away.
Blessed is anyone who endures temptation. Such a one has stood the test and will
receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. No one,
when tempted, should say, 'I am being tempted by God'; for God cannot be tempted
by evil and he himself tempts no one. But one is tempted by one's own desire, being
lured and enticed by it; then, when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and
that sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death. Do not be deceived, my beloved.

Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding
to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lord our God,
whose glory is beyond our understanding,
whose mercy is without measure
and whose love is beyond our telling;
in your tenderness of heart
look upon us and all whom we love,
and deal with us
according to the riches of your grace and compassion;

May the mind that was in Christ possess us,
the love that is always at the heart of God enlarge us,
and the joy of the Spirit give us kindly eyes and thankful soul.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is from The Liturgy of St John Chrysostom and the closing sentence is by
Bruce Prewer.