OREMUS: 30 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 29 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Blessed are you, Holy God,
you liberate the oppressed
and make a way of salvation.
You call us to unite ourselves with all who cry for justice,
and lead us together into freedom
through our Lord and Liberator,
Jesus Christ.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [1 Kings 6:15-38]:

Solomon lined the walls of the house on the inside with
boards of cedar; from the floor of the house to the
rafters of the ceiling, he covered them on the inside
with wood; and he covered the floor of the house with
boards of cypress. He built twenty cubits of the rear of
the house with boards of cedar from the floor to the
rafters, and he built this within as an inner sanctuary,
as the most holy place. The house, that is, the nave in
front of the inner sanctuary, was forty cubits long. The
cedar within the house had carvings of gourds and open
flowers; all was cedar, no stone was seen. The inner
sanctuary he prepared in the innermost part of the house,
to set there the ark of the covenant of the Lord. The
interior of the inner sanctuary was twenty cubits long,
twenty cubits wide, and twenty cubits high; he overlaid
it with pure gold. He also overlaid the altar with cedar.
Solomon overlaid the inside of the house with pure gold,
then he drew chains of gold across, in front of the inner
sanctuary, and overlaid it with gold. Next he overlaid
the whole house with gold, in order that the whole house
might be perfect; even the whole altar that belonged to
the inner sanctuary he overlaid with gold.
In the inner sanctuary he made two cherubim of olive
wood, each ten cubits high. Five cubits was the length of
one wing of the cherub, and five cubits the length of the
other wing of the cherub; it was ten cubits from the tip
of one wing to the tip of the other. The other cherub
also measured ten cubits; both cherubim had the same
measure and the same form. The height of one cherub was
ten cubits, and so was that of the other cherub. He put
the cherubim in the innermost part of the house; the
wings of the cherubim were spread out so that a wing of
one was touching one wall, and a wing of the other cherub
was touching the other wall; their other wings towards
the centre of the house were touching wing to wing. He
also overlaid the cherubim with gold.
He carved the walls of the house all round about with
carved engravings of cherubim, palm trees, and open
flowers, in the inner and outer rooms. The floor of the
house he overlaid with gold, in the inner and outer
rooms.
For the entrance to the inner sanctuary he made doors of
olive wood; the lintel and the doorposts were five-sided.
He covered the two doors of olive wood with carvings of
cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers; he overlaid them
with gold, and spread gold on the cherubim and on the
palm trees.
So also he made for the entrance to the nave doorposts of
olive wood, each four-sided, and two doors of cypress
wood; the two leaves of one door were folding, and the
two leaves of the other door were folding. He carved
cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers, overlaying them
with gold evenly applied upon the carved work. He built
the inner court with three courses of dressed stone to
one course of cedar beams.
In the fourth year the foundation of the house of the
Lord was laid, in the month of Ziv. In the eleventh year,
in the month of Bul, which is the eighth month, the house
was finished in all its parts, and according to all its
specifications. He was seven years in building it.

HYMN
Words:  Henriette Auber, 1829
Tune: St. Cuthbert

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o823.html

Our blest Redeemer, ere he breathed
his tender last farewell,
a Guide, a Comforter, bequeathed
with us to dwell.

He came in semblance of a dove
with sheltering wings outspread,
the holy balm of peace and love
on earth to shed.

He came in tongues of living flame
to teach, convince, subdue,
all powerful as the wind he came
as viewless too.

He came sweet influence to impart,
a gracious, willing Guest,
while he can find one humble heart
wherein to rest.

And his that gentle voice we hear,
soft as the breath of even,
that checks each fault, that calms each fear,
and speaks of heaven.

And every virtue we possess,
and every conquest won,
and every thought of holiness,
are his alone.

Spirit of purity and grace,
our weakness, pitying, see:
O make our hearts thy dwelling place
and worthier thee.

SECOND READING [John 15:16-25]:

You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit,
fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I
am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.
'If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you. If you belonged
to the world, the world would love you as its own. Because you do not belong to the
world, but I have chosen you out of the world therefore the world hates you.
Remember the word that I said to you, "Servants are not greater than their master." If
they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep
yours also. But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because
they do not know him who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would
not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my
Father also. If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would
not have sin. But now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. It was to fulfil
the word that is written in their law, "They hated me without a cause."

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

Give to us, O God, a heart of joy,
that rests in your peace
and a soul of tranquility that delights in your beauty;
a spirit of glory that sings your praise,
a life of serenity at home in your presence
and a mind of quietness renewed by your Spirit;

May the mind that was in Christ possess us,
the love that is always at the heart of God enlarge us,
and the joy of the Spirit give us kindly eyes and thankful soul.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner, the collect by Evelyn Underhill and the closing
sentence is by Bruce Prewer.