OREMUS: 27 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 26 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, August 27, 2006
The Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Holy God,
you liberate the oppressed
and make a way of salvation.
You call us to unite ourselves with all who cry for justice,
and lead us together into freedom
through our Lord and Liberator,
Jesus Christ.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Kings 5:13-18]:

King Solomon conscripted forced labour out of all Israel;
the levy numbered thirty thousand men. He sent them to
the Lebanon, ten thousand a month in shifts; they would
be a month in the Lebanon and two months at home;
Adoniram was in charge of the forced labour. Solomon also
had seventy thousand labourers and eighty thousand
stonecutters in the hill country, besides Solomon's three
thousand three hundred supervisors who were over the
work, having charge of the people who did the work. At
the king's command, they quarried out great, costly
stones in order to lay the foundation of the house with
dressed stones. So Solomon's builders and Hiram's
builders and the Gebalites did the stonecutting and
prepared the timber and the stone to build the house.

HYMN
Words: Charlotte Elliott, 1836
Tune: Morgenglanz der Ewigkeit

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c124.html

Christian! seek not yet repose,
hear thy guardian angel say;
thou art in the midst of foes;
watch and pray.

Principalities and powers,
mustering their unseen array,
wait for thy unguarded hours;
watch and pray.

Gird thy heavenly armor on,
wear it ever night and day;
ambushed lies the evil one;
watch and pray.

Hear the victors who o'ercame;
still they mark each warrior's way;
all with one clear voice exclaim,
watch and pray.

Hear, above all, hear thy Lord,
him thou lovest to obey;
hide within thy heart his word,
watch and pray.

Watch, as if on that alone
hung the issue of the day;
pray that help may be sent down;
watch and pray.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 5:21-6:9]:

Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Wives, be subject to your husbands as you are to the Lord. For the husband is the head
of the wife just as Christ is the head of the church, the body of which he is the Saviour.
Just as the church is subject to Christ, so also wives ought to be, in everything, to their
husbands.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for
her, in order to make her holy by cleansing her with the washing of water by the word,
so as to present the church to himself in splendour, without a spot or wrinkle or
anything of the kind yes, so that she may be holy and without blemish. In the same
way, husbands should love their wives as they do their own bodies. He who loves his
wife loves himself. For no one ever hates his own body, but he nourishes and tenderly
cares for it, just as Christ does for the church, because we are members of his body.
'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and
the two will become one flesh.' This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ
and the church. Each of you, however, should love his wife as himself, and a wife
should respect her husband.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 'Honour your father and
mother' this is the first commandment with a promise: 'so that it may be well with
you and you may live long on the earth.'
And, fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the
discipline and instruction of the Lord.
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as
you obey Christ; not only while being watched, and in order to please them, but as
slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. Render service with enthusiasm,
as to the Lord and not to men and women, knowing that whatever good we do, we
will receive the same again from the Lord, whether we are slaves or free.
And, masters, do the same to them. Stop threatening them, for you know that both of
you have the same Master in heaven, and with him there is no partiality.

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have taught us
that all our deeds without love are worth nothing:
Send your Holy Spirit and pour into our hearts
that most excellent gift of love,
the very bond of peace and of all goodness;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

May the mind that was in Christ possess us,
the love that is always at the heart of God enlarge us,
and the joy of the Spirit give us kindly eyes and thankful soul.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is slightly adapted from a prayer Copyright:   1995, 1999
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,
http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing sentence is by Bruce Prewer.