OREMUS: 23 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 26 09:55:46 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Blessed are you, Lord and giver of life,
you alone nourish and sustain your people,
through Christ, the bread of life.
You feed our hunger and quench our thirst,
that we may no longer walk for what fails to satisfy,
but do what you require, in obedience and faith.

My heart is stirring with a noble song;
   let me recite what I have fashioned for the king;*
 my tongue shall be the pen of a skilled writer.
You are the fairest of men;*
 grace flows from your lips,
   because God has blessed you for ever.
Strap your sword upon your thigh, O mighty warrior,*
 in your pride and in your majesty.
Ride out and conquer in the cause of truth*
 and for the sake of justice.
Your right hand will show you marvellous things;*
 your arrows are very sharp, O mighty warrior.
The peoples are falling at your feet,*
 and the king's enemies are losing heart.
Your throne, O God, endures for ever and ever,*
 a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of your kingdom;
   you love righteousness and hate iniquity;
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you*
 with the oil of gladness above your fellows.
All your garments are fragrant with myrrh, aloes and cassia,*
 and the music of strings from ivory palaces makes you glad.
Kings' daughters stand among the ladies of the court;*
 on your right hand is the queen,
   adorned with the gold of Ophir.
'Hear, O daughter; consider and listen closely;*
 forget your people and your family's house.
'The king will have pleasure in your beauty;*
 he is your master; therefore do him honour.
'The people of Tyre are here with a gift;*
 the rich among the people seek your favour.'
All glorious is the princess as she enters;*
 her gown is cloth-of-gold.
In embroidered apparel she is brought to the king;*
 after her the bridesmaids follow in procession.
With joy and gladness they are brought,*
 and enter into the palace of the king.
'In place of fathers, O king, you shall have sons;*
 you shall make them princes over all the earth.
'I will make your name to be remembered
   from one generation to another;*
 therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.'

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [1 Kings 8:1-21]:

Solomon assembled the elders of Israel and all the heads
of the tribes, the leaders of the ancestral houses of the
Israelites, before King Solomon in Jerusalem, to bring up
the ark of the covenant of the Lord out of the city of
David, which is Zion. All the people of Israel assembled
to King Solomon at the festival in the month Ethanim,
which is the seventh month. And all the elders of Israel
came, and the priests carried the ark. So they brought up
the ark of the Lord, the tent of meeting, and all the
holy vessels that were in the tent; the priests and the
Levites brought them up. King Solomon and all the
congregation of Israel, who had assembled before him,
were with him before the ark, sacrificing so many sheep
and oxen that they could not be counted or numbered. Then
the priests brought the ark of the covenant of the Lord
to its place, in the inner sanctuary of the house, in the
most holy place, underneath the wings of the cherubim.
For the cherubim spread out their wings over the place of
the ark, so that the cherubim made a covering above the
ark and its poles. The poles were so long that the ends
of the poles were seen from the holy place in front of
the inner sanctuary; but they could not be seen from
outside; they are there to this day. There was nothing in
the ark except the two tablets of stone that Moses had
placed there at Horeb, where the Lord made a covenant
with the Israelites, when they came out of the land of
Egypt. And when the priests came out of the holy place, a
cloud filled the house of the Lord, so that the priests
could not stand to minister because of the cloud; for the
glory of the Lord filled the house of the Lord.

Then Solomon said,
'The Lord has said that he would dwell in thick darkness.
I have built you an exalted house,
   a place for you to dwell in for ever.'

Then the king turned round and blessed all the assembly
of Israel, while all the assembly of Israel stood. He
said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, who with
his hand has fulfilled what he promised with his mouth to
my father David, saying, "Since the day that I brought my
people Israel out of Egypt, I have not chosen a city from
any of the tribes of Israel in which to build a house,
that my name might be there; but I chose David to be over
my people Israel." My father David had it in mind to
build a house for the name of the Lord, the God of
Israel. But the Lord said to my father David, "You did
well to consider building a house for my name;
nevertheless, you shall not build the house, but your son
who shall be born to you shall build the house for my
name." Now the Lord has upheld the promise that he made;
for I have risen in the place of my father David; I sit
on the throne of Israel, as the Lord promised, and have
built the house for the name of the Lord, the God of
Israel. There I have provided a place for the ark, in
which is the covenant of the Lord that he made with our
ancestors when he brought them out of the land of Egypt.'

HYMN
Words: Latin, seventh century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Tune: Oriel, Urbs beata, St. Audrey, Urbs coelestis

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b128.html

Blessed city, heavenly Salem,
vision dear of peace and love,
who of living stones art builded
in the height of heaven above,
and, with angel hosts encircled,
as a bride dost earthward move;

from celestial realms descending,
bridal glory round thee shed,
meet for him whose love espoused thee,
to thy Lord shalt thou be led;
all thy streets and all thy bulwarks
of pure gold are fashioned.

Bright thy gates of pearl are shining;
they are open evermore;
and by virtue of his merits
thither faithful souls do soar,
who for Christ's dear Name in this world
pain and tribulation bore.

Many a blow and biting sculpture
polished well those stones elect,
in their places now compacted
by the heavenly Architect,
who therewith hath willed for ever
that his palace should be decked.

Laud and honor to the Father,
laud and honor to the Son,
laud and honor to the Spirit,
ever Three, and ever One,
consubstantial, coeternal,
while unending ages run.

SECOND READING [Mark 8:14-21]:

Now the disciples had forgotten to bring any bread; and they had only one loaf with
them in the boat. And he cautioned them, saying, 'Watch out beware of the yeast of
the Pharisees and the yeast of Herod.' They said to one another, 'It is because we have
no bread.' And becoming aware of it, Jesus said to them, 'Why are you talking about
having no bread? Do you still not perceive ounderstand? Are your hearts hardened?
Do you have eyes, and fail to see? Do you have ears, and fail to hear? And do you not
remember? When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full
of broken pieces did you collect?' They said to him, 'Twelve.' 'And the seven for the
four thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces did you collect?' And they said
to him, 'Seven.' Then he said to them, 'Do you not yet understand?'

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Show to us, O Savior,
the silence of humility and the silence of love.
Show us the silence that speaks without words and the silence of faith;
and grant that in the silence of our hearts
we may know the deep movement of your Holy Spirit;
and this we ask for your own Name's sake. Amen.

To God the Father,
who first loved us, and made us accepted in the beloved Son;
to God the Son,
who loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood;
to God the Holy Spirit,
who sheds abroad the love of God in our hearts;
to the one true God
be all love and all glory for time and eternity. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer in _Opening Prayers:

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

The collect is a sixteenth-century German prayer and the closing sentence is by Thomas
Ken.