OREMUS: 26 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 26 09:55:07 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, August 26, 2006

Blessed are you, Lord and giver of life,
you alone nourish and sustain your people,
through Christ, the bread of life.
You feed our hunger and quench our thirst,
that we may no longer walk for what fails to satisfy,
but do what you require, in obedience and faith.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [1 Kings 5:1-12]:

Now King Hiram of Tyre sent his servants to Solomon, when
he heard that they had anointed him king in place of his
father; for Hiram had always been a friend to David.
Solomon sent word to Hiram, saying, 'You know that my
father David could not build a house for the name of the
Lord his God because of the warfare with which his
enemies surrounded him, until the Lord put them under the
soles of his feet. But now the Lord my God has given me
rest on every side; there is neither adversary nor
misfortune. So I intend to build a house for the name of
the Lord my God, as the Lord said to my father David,
"Your son, whom I will set on your throne in your place,
shall build the house for my name." Therefore command
that cedars from the Lebanon be cut for me. My servants
will join your servants, and I will give you whatever
wages you set for your servants; for you know that there
is no one among us who knows how to cut timber like the
Sidonians.'
When Hiram heard the words of Solomon, he rejoiced
greatly, and said, 'Blessed be the Lord today, who has
given to David a wise son to be over this great people.'
Hiram sent word to Solomon, 'I have heard the message
that you have sent to me; I will fulfil all your needs in
the matter of cedar and cypress timber. My servants shall
bring it down to the sea from the Lebanon; I will make it
into rafts to go by sea to the place you indicate. I will
have them broken up there for you to take away. And you
shall meet my needs by providing food for my household.'
So Hiram supplied Solomon's every need for timber of
cedar and cypress. Solomon in turn gave Hiram twenty
thousand cors of wheat as food for his household, and
twenty cors of fine oil. Solomon gave this to Hiram year
by year. So the Lord gave Solomon wisdom, as he promised
him. There was peace between Hiram and Solomon; and the
two of them made a treaty.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1819
Tune: St. Hugh, Windsor, Bangor, First Mode Melody, Walsall

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l442.html

Lord, teach us how to pray aright,
with reverence and with fear;
though dust and ashes in thy sight,
we may, we must draw near.

We perish if we cease from prayer,
O grant us power to pray!
And when to meet thee we prepare,
Lord, meet us by the way.

God of all grace, we bring to thee
a broken, contrite heart;
give, what thine eye delights ot see,
truth in the inward part.

Faith in the only sacrifice
that can for sin atone;
to build our hopes, to fix our eyes,
on Christ, on Christ alone;

Patience to watch and wait and weep,
though mercy long delay;
courage our fainting souls to keep,
and trust thee though thou slay.

Give these, and then thy will be done;
thus strengthened with all might,
we through thy Spirit and thy Son,
shall pray, and pray aright.

SECOND READING [Luke 11:5-13]:

Jesus said to them, 'Suppose one of you has a friend, and you go to him at midnight
and say to him, "Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; for a friend of mine has arrived,
and I have nothing to set before him." And he answers from within, "Do not bother
me; the door has already been locked, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get
up and give you anything." I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him
anything because he is his friend, at least because of his persistence he will get up and
give him whatever he needs.
'So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and
the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who
searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone
among you who, if your child asks for a fish, will give a snake instead of a fish? Or if
the child asks for an egg, will give a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to
give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the
Holy Spirit to those who ask him!'

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Grant, O Lord God,
that your Church, having one foundation and one head,
may truly and indeed be one body,
holding one faith, proclaiming one truth,
and following one Lord in holiness of living and love,
even your Son our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

To God the Father,
who first loved us, and made us accepted in the beloved Son;
to God the Son,
who loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood;
to God the Holy Spirit,
who sheds abroad the love of God in our hearts;
to the one true God
be all love and all glory for time and eternity. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer in _Opening Prayers:

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

The collect is from Daily Prayer and the closing sentence is by Thomas Ken.