OREMUS: 25 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Aug 24 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, August 25, 2006

Blessed are you, Lord and giver of life,
you alone nourish and sustain your people,
through Christ, the bread of life.
You feed our hunger and quench our thirst,
that we may no longer walk for what fails to satisfy,
but do what you require, in obedience and faith.

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [1 Kings 4:29-34]:

God gave Solomon very great wisdom, discernment, and
breadth of understanding as vast as the sand on the
seashore, so that Solomon's wisdom surpassed the wisdom
of all the people of the east, and all the wisdom of
Egypt. He was wiser than anyone else, wiser than Ethan
the Ezrahite, and Heman, Calcol, and Darda, children of
Mahol; his fame spread throughout all the surrounding
nations. He composed three thousand proverbs, and his
songs numbered a thousand and five. He would speak of
trees, from the cedar that is in the Lebanon to the
hyssop that grows in the wall; he would speak of animals,
and birds, and reptiles, and fish. People came from all
the nations to hear the wisdom of Solomon; they came from
all the kings of the earth who had heard of his wisdom.

HYMN
Words: Cecil Frances Alexander, 1848
Tune: Royal Oak

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a177.html

Refrain:
All things bright and beautiful,
all creatures great and small,
all things wise and wonderful,
the Lord God made them all.

Each little flower that opens,
each little bird that sings,
he made their glowing colors,
he made their tiny wings. Refrain

The purple-headed mountain,
the river running by,
the sunset, and the morning
that brightens up the sky. Refrain

The cold wind in the winter,
the pleasant summer sun,
the ripe fruits in the garden,
he made them every one. Refrain

He gave us eyes to see them,
and lips that we might tell
how great is God Almighty,
who has made all things well. Refrain

SECOND READING [Romans 13:11-14]:

Besides this, you know what time it is, how it is now the moment for you to wake
from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers; the night
is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the
armour of light; let us live honourably as in the day, not in revelling and drunkenness,
not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarrelling and jealousy. Instead, put on
the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom, saying,
Father, by your Spirit:
bring in your kingdom.

You came in Jesus to bring good news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to the captives,
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name.
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor
and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world
the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn,
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Almighty God,
you have created the heavens and the earth
and made us in your own image:
teach us to discern your hand in all your works
and your likeness in all your children;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who with you and the Holy Spirit
reigns supreme over all things,
now and for ever. Amen.

To God the Father,
who first loved us, and made us accepted in the beloved Son;
to God the Son,
who loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood;
to God the Holy Spirit,
who sheds abroad the love of God in our hearts;
to the one true God
be all love and all glory for time and eternity. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer in _Opening Prayers:

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

The closing sentence is by Thomas Ken.