OREMUS: 22 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 21 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Blessed are you, Lord and giver of life,
you alone nourish and sustain your people,
through Christ, the bread of life.
You feed our hunger and quench our thirst,
that we may no longer walk for what fails to satisfy,
but do what you require, in obedience and faith.

Psalm 36 [CCP]

There is a voice of rebellion deep in the heart of the wicked;*
 there is no fear of God before their eyes.
They flatter themselves in their own eyes*
 that their hateful sin will not be found out.
The words of their mouths are wicked and deceitful;*
 they have left off acting wisely and doing good.
They think up wickedness upon their beds
   and have set themselves in no good way;*
 they do not abhor that which is evil.
Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.
Let not the foot of the proud come near me,*
 nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.
See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness!*
 they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

FIRST READING [1 Kings 7:1-12]:

Solomon was building his own house for thirteen years,
and he finished his entire house.
He built the House of the Forest of the Lebanon one
hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide, and thirty cubits
high, built on four rows of cedar pillars, with cedar
beams on the pillars. It was roofed with cedar on the
forty-five rafters, fifteen in each row, which were on
the pillars. There were window frames in the three rows,
facing each other in the three rows. All the doorways and
doorposts had four-sided frames, opposite, facing each
other in the three rows.
He made the Hall of Pillars fifty cubits long and thirty
cubits wide. There was a porch in front with pillars, and
a canopy in front of them.
He made the Hall of the Throne where he was to pronounce
judgement, the Hall of Justice, covered with cedar from
floor to floor.
His own house where he would reside, in the other court
behind the hall, was of the same construction. Solomon
also made a house like this hall for Pharaoh's daughter,
whom he had taken in marriage.
All these were made of costly stones, cut according to
measure, sawed with saws, back and front, from the
foundation to the coping, and from outside to the great
court. The foundation was of costly stones, huge stones,
stones of eight and ten cubits. There were costly stones
above, cut to measure, and cedar wood. The great court
had three courses of dressed stone to one layer of cedar
beams all round; so had the inner court of the house of
the Lord, and the vestibule of the house.

HYMN
Words: verses 1-4: William Bullock, 1854;
verses 5-7, Henry Williams Baker, 1859
Tune: Quam dilecta

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w107.html

We love the place, O God,
wherein thine honor dwells;
the joy of thine abode
all earthly joy excels.

It is the house of prayer,
wherein thy servants meet;
and thou, O Lord, art there
thy chosen flock to greet.

We love the sacred font;
for there the Holy Dove
to pour is ever wont
his blessing from above.

We love thine altar, Lord;
O what on earth so dear?
For there in faith adored,
we find thy presence near.

We love the word of life,
the word that tells of peace,
of comfort in the strife,
and joys that never cease.

We love to sing below
for mercies freely given;
but O we long to know
the triumph-song of heaven.

Lord Jesus, give us grace
on earth to love thee more,
in heaven to see thy face,
and with thy saints adore.

SECOND READING [Acts 7:9-16]:

Stephen said, 'The patriarchs, jealous of Joseph, sold him into Egypt; but God was
with him, and rescued him from all his afflictions, and enabled him to win favour and
to show wisdom when he stood before Pharaoh, king of Egypt, who appointed him
ruler over Egypt and over all his household. Now there came a famine throughout
Egypt and Canaan, and great suffering, and our ancestors could find no food. But
when Jacob heard that there was grain in Egypt, he sent our ancestors there on their
first visit. On the second visit Joseph made himself known to his brothers, and
Joseph's family became known to Pharaoh. Then Joseph sent and invited his father
Jacob and all his relatives to come to him, seventy-five in all; so Jacob went down to
Egypt. He himself died there as well as our ancestors, and their bodies were brought
back to Shechem and laid in the tomb that Abraham had bought for a sum of silver
from the sons of Hamor in Shechem.'

We pray to God our Father, saying:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For all Christian people, knit together by your word of life;
and for all who teach and guard the faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who study and translate the Scriptures:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who are mocked and persecuted for their faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who long to know you, and your living Word:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those tempted to forsake your way;
for those whose hearts are hardened and unfeeling,
and for those who threaten war:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those bowed down with grief, fear or sickness, (especially. . .)
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

Giving thanks for those who have died in the faith of Christ,
we rejoice with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary and all your saints,
trusting in the promise of your word fulfilled.
Lord of the Church:
hear our prayer,
and make us one in heart and mind
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

Let us walk in the way you love, O God.
Let us love you for yourself.
Let us love you in all all things.
Let us taste the sweetness of your love
and let it work its beauty in us,
until we love with that divine love with which you love us;
through Christ our Lord. Amen.

To God the Father,
who first loved us, and made us accepted in the beloved Son;
to God the Son,
who loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood;
to God the Holy Spirit,
who sheds abroad the love of God in our hearts;
to the one true God
be all love and all glory for time and eternity. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer in _Opening Prayers:

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

The collect is by Gertrude More and the closing sentence is by Thomas Ken.