OREMUS: 20 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 19 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, August 20, 2006
The Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Lord and giver of life,
you alone nourish and sustain your people,
through Christ, the bread of life.
You feed our hunger and quench our thirst,
that we may no longer walk for what fails to satisfy,
but do what you require, in obedience and faith.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Job 12:1-25]:

Job answered:
'No doubt you are the people,
   and wisdom will die with you.
But I have understanding as well as you;
   I am not inferior to you.
   Who does not know such things as these?
I am a laughing-stock to my friends;
   I, who called upon God and he answered me,
   a just and blameless man, I am a laughing-stock.
Those at ease have contempt for misfortune,
   but it is ready for those whose feet are unstable.

The tents of robbers are at peace,
   and those who provoke God are secure,
   who bring their god in their hands.

'But ask the animals, and they will teach you;
   the birds of the air, and they will tell you;
ask the plants of the earth, and they will teach you;
   and the fish of the sea will declare to you.
Who among all these does not know
   that the hand of the Lord has done this?
In his hand is the life of every living thing
   and the breath of every human being.
Does not the ear test words
   as the palate tastes food?
Is wisdom with the aged,
   and understanding in length of days?

'With God are wisdom and strength;
   he has counsel and understanding.
If he tears down, no one can rebuild;
   if he shuts someone in, no one can open up.
If he withholds the waters, they dry up;
   if he sends them out, they overwhelm the land.
With him are strength and wisdom;
   the deceived and the deceiver are his.
He leads counsellors away stripped,
   and makes fools of judges.
He looses the sash of kings,
   and binds a waistcloth on their loins.
He leads priests away stripped,
   and overthrows the mighty.
He deprives of speech those who are trusted,
   and takes away the discernment of the elders.
He pours contempt on princes,
   and looses the belt of the strong.
He uncovers the deeps out of darkness,
   and brings deep darkness to light.
He makes nations great, then destroys them;
   he enlarges nations, then leads them away.
He strips understanding from the leaders of the earth,
   and makes them wander in a pathless waste.
They grope in the dark without light;
   he makes them stagger like a drunkard.

HYMN
Words: Bernard of Cluny, 1145; trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Tune: St. Alphege, Werde munter

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b189.html

Brief life is here our portion;
brief sorrow, short lived care;
the life that knows no ending,
the tearless life, is there.

There grief is turned to pleasure;
such pleasure as below
no human voice can utter,
no human heart can know.

The morning shall awaken,
the shadows flee away,
and each truehearted servant
shall shine as doth the day.

There God, our King and Portion,
in fullness of his grace,
shall we behold for ever,
and worship face to face.

O one, O only mansion,
O Paradise of joy,
where tears are ever banished,
and smiles have no alloy;

the Lamb is all thy splendor,
the Crucified thy praise;
his laud and benediction
thy ransomed people raise.

O sweet and blessed country,
the home of God's elect!
O sweet and blessed country,
that eager hearts expect!

Jesus, in mercy bring us,
to that dear land of rest;
who art, with God the Father,
and Spirit, ever blest.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 13:1-15]:

Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing
that some have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember those who are in
prison, as though you were in prison with them; those who are being tortured, as
though you yourselves were being tortured. Let marriage be held in honour by all, and
let the marriage bed be kept undefiled; for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.
Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have; for
he has said, 'I will never leave you or forsake you.' So we can say with
confidence,
'The Lord is my helper;
   I will not be afraid.
What can anyone do to me?'

Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the
outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday
and today and for ever. Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings; for it
is well for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by regulations about food, which
have not benefited those who observe them. We have an altar from which those who
officiate in the tent have no right to eat. For the bodies of those animals whose blood
is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest as a sacrifice for sin are burned outside
the camp. Therefore Jesus also suffered outside the city gate in order to sanctify the
people by his own blood. Let us then go to him outside the camp and bear the abuse
he endured. For here we have no lasting city, but we are looking for the city that is to
come. Through him, then, let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is,
the fruit of lips that confess his name.

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have broken the tyranny of sin
and sent into our hearts the Spirit of your Son:
Give us grace to dedicate our freedom to your service,
that all people may know the glorious liberty of the children of God;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

To God the Father,
who first loved us, and made us accepted in the beloved Son;
to God the Son,
who loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood;
to God the Holy Spirit,
who sheds abroad the love of God in our hearts;
to the one true God
be all love and all glory for time and eternity. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a prayer in _Opening Prayers:

The intecession is slightly adapted Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing sentence is by Thomas Ken.