OREMUS: 19 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 19 09:21:07 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, August 19, 2006

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

O Lord, I am not proud;*
 I have no haughty looks.
I do not occupy myself with great matters,*
 or with things that are too hard for me.
But I still my soul and make it quiet,
   like a child upon its mother's breast;*
 my soul is quieted within me.
O Israel, wait upon the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [1 Kings 2:1-11]:

When David's time to die drew near, he charged his son
Solomon, saying: 'I am about to go the way of all the
earth. Be strong, be courageous, and keep the charge of
the Lord your God, walking in his ways and keeping his
statutes, his commandments, his ordinances, and his
testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, so
that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you
turn. Then the Lord will establish his word that he spoke
concerning me: "If your heirs take heed to their way, to
walk before me in faithfulness with all their heart and
with all their soul, there shall not fail you a successor
on the throne of Israel."
'Moreover, you know also what Joab son of Zeruiah did to
me, how he dealt with the two commanders of the armies of
Israel, Abner son of Ner, and Amasa son of Jether, whom
he murdered, retaliating in time of peace for blood that
had been shed in war, and putting the blood of war on the
belt around his waist, and on the sandals on his feet.
Act therefore according to your wisdom, but do not let
his grey head go down to Sheol in peace. Deal loyally,
however, with the sons of Barzillai the Gileadite, and
let them be among those who eat at your table; for with
such loyalty they met me when I fled from your brother
Absalom. There is also with you Shimei son of Gera, the
Benjaminite from Bahurim, who cursed me with a terrible
curse on the day when I went to Mahanaim; but when he
came down to meet me at the Jordan, I swore to him by the
Lord, "I will not put you to death with the sword."
Therefore do not hold him guiltless, for you are a wise
man; you will know what you ought to do to him, and you
must bring his grey head down with blood to Sheol.'
Then David slept with his ancestors, and was buried in
the city of David. The time that David reigned over
Israel was forty years; he reigned for seven years in
Hebron, and thirty-three years in Jerusalem.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1740
Tune: Aberystwyth, Hollingside

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j125.html

Jesus, Lover of my soul,
let me to thy bosom fly,
while the nearer waters roll,
while the tempest still is high:
hide me, O my Savior, hide,
till the storm of life be past;
safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none,
hangs my helpless soul on thee;
leave, ah! leave me not alone,
still support and comfort me!
All my trust on thee is stayed;
all my help from thee I bring;
cover my defenseless head
with the shadow of thy wing.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want;
mor than all in thee I find;
raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is thy Name;
I am all unrighteousness;
false and full of sin I am;
thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with thee is found,
grace to cover all my sin;
let the healing streams abound,
make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art,
freely let me take of thee:
spring thou up within my heart,
rise to all eternity.

SECOND READING [John 4:7-26]:

A Samaritan woman came to draw water, and Jesus said to her, 'Give me a drink'.
(His disciples had gone to the city to buy food.) The Samaritan woman said to him,
'How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?' (Jews do not
share things in common with Samaritans.) Jesus answered her, 'If you knew the gift of
God, and who it is that is saying to you, "Give me a drink", you would have asked
him, and he would have given you living water.' The woman said to him, 'Sir, you
have no bucket, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water? Are you
greater than our ancestor Jacob, who gave us the well, and with his sons and his flocks
drank from it?' Jesus said to her, 'Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty
again, but those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty. The
water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life.'
The woman said to him, 'Sir, give me this water, so that I may never be thirsty or have
to keep coming here to draw water.'
Jesus said to her, 'Go, call your husband, and come back.' The woman answered him,
'I have no husband.' Jesus said to her, 'You are right in saying, "I have no husband";
for you have had five husbands, and the one you have now is not your husband. What
you have said is true!' The woman said to him, 'Sir, I see that you are a prophet. Our
ancestors worshipped on this mountain, but you say that the place where people must
worship is in Jerusalem.' Jesus said to her, 'Woman, believe me, the hour is coming
when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You
worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the
Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshippers will worship
the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship him. God is
spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.' The woman said
to him, 'I know that Messiah is coming' (who is called Christ). 'When he comes, he
will proclaim all things to us.' Jesus said to her, 'I am he, the one who is speaking to
you.'

Loving God, in Jesus Christ you teach us to pray:

Guide us by your Holy Spirit
that our prayers for others may serve your will
and show your steadfast love for all.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have called together a people
to be the Church of Jesus Christ,
founded on the apostles.
May your people be one in faith and discipleship,
breaking bread together and telling good news.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

May the world come to believe that you are love,
turn to your ways and live in the light of your truth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

You made all things and called them good.
May your planet earth be held in reverence by all people,
that its resources may be used wisely
and its fragile balance between life and death respected.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers for those who rule the nations,
that they may learn wisdom and truth,
establish justice and mercy
and seek the ways of peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

God, good beyond all that is good,
fair beyond all that is fair,
in you is calmness, peace and concord.
Heal our divisions,
draw us into your divine nature,
and through the embrace of your love
make us one in Spirit. Amen.

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _The Book of Common Worship. The
Presbyterian Church in Canada_, 1991. Used with permission.

The collect is by Dionysius of Alexandria.