OREMUS: 18 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 19 09:20:55 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, August 18, 2006
William Porcher DuBose, Priest, 1918

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

FIRST READING [1 Kings 1:28-48]:

King David answered, 'Summon Bathsheba to me.' So she
came into the king's presence, and stood before the king.
The king swore, saying, 'As the Lord lives, who has saved
my life from every adversity, as I swore to you by the
Lord, the God of Israel, "Your son Solomon shall succeed
me as king, and he shall sit on my throne in my place",
so will I do this day.' Then Bathsheba bowed with her
face to the ground, and did obeisance to the king, and
said, 'May my lord King David live for ever!'
King David said, 'Summon to me the priest Zadok, the
prophet Nathan, and Benaiah son of Jehoiada.' When they
came before the king, the king said to them, 'Take with
you the servants of your lord, and have my son Solomon
ride on my own mule, and bring him down to Gihon. There
let the priest Zadok and the prophet Nathan anoint him
king over Israel; then blow the trumpet, and say, "Long
live King Solomon!" You shall go up following him. Let
him enter and sit on my throne; he shall be king in my
place; for I have appointed him to be ruler over Israel
and over Judah.' Benaiah son of Jehoiada answered the
king, 'Amen! May the Lord, the God of my lord the king,
so ordain. As the Lord has been with my lord the king, so
may he be with Solomon, and make his throne greater than
the throne of my lord King David.'
So the priest Zadok, the prophet Nathan, and Benaiah son
of Jehoiada, and the Cherethites and the Pelethites, went
down and had Solomon ride on King David's mule, and led
him to Gihon. There the priest Zadok took the horn of oil
from the tent and anointed Solomon. Then they blew the
trumpet, and all the people said, 'Long live King
Solomon!' And all the people went up following him,
playing on pipes and rejoicing with great joy, so that
the earth quaked at their noise.
Adonijah and all the guests who were with him heard it as
they finished feasting. When Joab heard the sound of the
trumpet, he said, 'Why is the city in an uproar?' While
he was still speaking, Jonathan son of the priest
Abiathar arrived. Adonijah said, 'Come in, for you are a
worthy man and surely you bring good news.' Jonathan
answered Adonijah, 'No, for our lord King David has made
Solomon king; the king has sent with him the priest
Zadok, the prophet Nathan, and Benaiah son of Jehoiada,
and the Cherethites and the Pelethites; and they had him
ride on the king's mule; the priest Zadok and the prophet
Nathan have anointed him king at Gihon; and they have
gone up from there rejoicing, so that the city is in an
uproar. This is the noise that you heard. Solomon now
sits on the royal throne. Moreover, the king's servants
came to congratulate our lord King David, saying, "May
God make the name of Solomon more famous than yours, and
make his throne greater than your throne." The king bowed
in worship on the bed and went on to pray thus, "Blessed
be the Lord, the God of Israel, who today has granted one
of my offspring to sit on my throne and permitted me to
witness it." '

HYMN
Words: Henry Francis Lyte, 1847
Tune: Eventide

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a062.html

Abide with me: fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide:
when other helpers fail and comforts flee,
help of the helpless, O abide with me.

I need thy presence every passing hour;
what but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's dark sting? where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies;
heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

SECOND READING [Romans 16:17-20]:

I urge you, brothers and sisters, to keep an eye on those who cause dissensions and
offences, in opposition to the teaching that you have learned; avoid them. For such
people do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and
flattery they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded. For while your obedience is
known to all, so that I rejoice over you, I want you to be wise in what is good, and
guileless in what is evil. The God of peace will shortly crush Satan under your feet.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

Faithful God, Lord of all,
we offer our prayers to you
for a world in need.

Lord of the Church, we pray for your people throughout the world.
Give unity in the Spirit
that we may be one in the witness of saving love
and glorify you with one mind and mouth.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Head of the Body,
give us wisdom to follow your commandments,
to live peacefully and do justly,
and to walk humbly with you.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Creator and ruler of the universe,
give to all who exercise authority
wisdom and virtue to govern justly
and bring peace across the land.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Source of all compassion,
give to all who suffer
the light of your presence and the caring of your people,
to bring calm and comfort.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Giver of good to all,
take from us any evil thought or will
that we may forgive those who offend us or seek our harm
as you have forgiven us.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

All-knowing One, you who see us as we are
and know us as we should be:
forgive our sins, set us free from fear,
and give us lives abundant with your guiding presence,
that we may be yours for ever,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Set our hearts on fire with love for you, O God,
that in its flame we may love you with all our hearts,
with all our minds,
with all our souls,
and with all our strength,
and our neighbors as ourselves;
and grant that in the keeping of your commandments
we may glorify you, the giver of all good gifts,
through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
you gave to your servant William Porcher DuBose
special gifts of grace to understand the Scriptures
and to teach the truth as it is in Christ Jesus:
Grant that by this teaching we may know you,
the one true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent;

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, from _Words for
Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The first collect is an Orthodox kontakion.

William Porcher DuBose is a serious candidate for the title of "greatest
theologian that the Episcopal Church in the USA has produced." He was born
in South Carolina in 1836, and attended the Military College of South Carolina
(now the Citadel) in Charleston (32:48 N 79:58 W), and the University of
Virginia in Charlottesville (38:02 N 78:29 W). He served as a chaplain in the
Confederate Army, and after the War of 1861-1865 served as a parish priest.
In 1871 he became a professor at the University of the South (an Episcopal
institution) in Sewanee, Tennessee, became Dean of the School of Theology in
1894, retired in 1908, and died in 1918.
He was fluent in Greek, and well-read both in Greek philosophy and in the
early Christian fathers. Among his numerous books, the best known are The
Soteriology of The New Testament, The Gospel in The Gospels, and The
Reason of Life. (Soter is the Greek word for "Savior", and soteriology is the
branch of theology that deals with such questions as, "What does it mean to
say that Christ saves us?" "How does his death and resurrection do us any
good?" "How are the benefits of Christ's work applied to the individual?" and
so on.) A quote from one of his articles follows:
"God has placed forever before our eyes, not the image but the very Person of
the Spiritual Man. We have not to ascend into Heaven to bring Him down, nor
to descend into the abyss to bring Him up, for He is with us, and near us, and
in us. We have only to confess with our mouths that He is Lord, and believe in
our hearts that God has raised Him from the dead--and raised us in Him-- and
we shall live." [James Kiefer]