OREMUS: 17 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 19 09:20:41 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, August 17, 2006

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [1 Kings 1:1-30]:

King David was old and advanced in years; and although
they covered him with clothes, he could not get warm. So
his servants said to him, 'Let a young virgin be sought
for my lord the king, and let her wait on the king, and
be his attendant; let her lie in your bosom, so that my
lord the king may be warm.' So they searched for a
beautiful girl throughout all the territory of Israel,
and found Abishag the Shunammite, and brought her to the
king. The girl was very beautiful. She became the king's
attendant and served him, but the king did not know her
sexually.
Now Adonijah son of Haggith exalted himself, saying, 'I
will be king'; he prepared for himself chariots and
horsemen, and fifty men to run before him. His father had
never at any time displeased him by asking, 'Why have you
done that?' He was also a very handsome man, and he was
born next after Absalom. He conferred with Joab son of
Zeruiah and with the priest Abiathar, and they supported
Adonijah. But the priest Zadok, and Benaiah son of
Jehoiada, and the prophet Nathan, and Shimei, and Rei,
and David's own warriors did not side with Adonijah.
Adonijah sacrificed sheep, oxen, and fatted cattle by the
stone Zoheleth, which is beside En-rogel, and he invited
all his brothers, the king's sons, and all the royal
officials of Judah, but he did not invite the prophet
Nathan or Benaiah or the warriors or his brother Solomon.

Then Nathan said to Bathsheba, Solomon's mother, 'Have
you not heard that Adonijah son of Haggith has become
king and our lord David does not know it? Now therefore
come, let me give you advice, so that you may save your
own life and the life of your son Solomon. Go in at once
to King David, and say to him, "Did you not, my lord the
king, swear to your servant, saying: Your son Solomon
shall succeed me as king, and he shall sit on my throne?
Why then is Adonijah king?" Then while you are still
there speaking with the king, I will come in after you
and confirm your words.'
So Bathsheba went to the king in his room. The king was
very old; Abishag the Shunammite was attending the king.
Bathsheba bowed and did obeisance to the king, and the
king said, 'What do you wish?' She said to him, 'My lord,
you swore to your servant by the Lord your God, saying:
Your son Solomon shall succeed me as king, and he shall
sit on my throne. But now suddenly Adonijah has become
king, though you, my lord the king, do not know it. He
has sacrificed oxen, fatted cattle, and sheep in
abundance, and has invited all the children of the king,
the priest Abiathar, and Joab the commander of the army;
but your servant Solomon he has not invited. But you, my
lord the king the eyes of all Israel are on you to tell
them who shall sit on the throne of my lord the king
after him. Otherwise it will come to pass, when my lord
the king sleeps with his ancestors, that my son Solomon
and I will be counted offenders.'
While she was still speaking with the king, the prophet
Nathan came in. The king was told, 'Here is the prophet
Nathan.' When he came in before the king, he did
obeisance to the king, with his face to the ground.
Nathan said, 'My lord the king, have you said, "Adonijah
shall succeed me as king, and he shall sit on my throne"?
For today he has gone down and has sacrificed oxen,
fatted cattle, and sheep in abundance, and has invited
all the king's children, Joab the commander of the army,
and the priest Abiathar, who are now eating and drinking
before him, and saying, "Long live King Adonijah!" But he
did not invite me, your servant, and the priest Zadok,
and Benaiah son of Jehoiada, and your servant Solomon.
Has this thing been brought about by my lord the king and
you have not let your servants know who should sit on the
throne of my lord the king after him?'
King David answered, 'Summon Bathsheba to me.' So she
came into the king's presence, and stood before the king.
The king swore, saying, 'As the Lord lives, who has saved
my life from every adversity, as I swore to you by the
Lord, the God of Israel, "Your son Solomon shall succeed
me as king, and he shall sit on my throne in my place",
so will I do this day.'

HYMN
Words: Anatolius, eight century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1853
Tune: Wohlauf, thut nicht verzagen

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t221.html

The Lord and King of all things
but yesterday was born;
and Stephen's glorious offering
his birth-tide shall adorn:
no pearls of orient splendor,
no jewels can he show;
but with his own true heart's blood
his shining vestments glow.

Come, ye that love the martyrs,
and pluck the flowers of song,
and weave them in a garland,
for this our suppliant throng;
and cry, "O thou that shinest
in grace's brightest ray,
Christ's valiant protomartyr,
for peace and favor pray!"

Thou first of all confessors,
of all the deacons crown,
of every following athlete,
the glory and renown:
make supplication, standing
before Christ's royal throne,
that he would give the kingdom,
and for our sins atone!

SECOND READING [Acts 6:8-15]:

Stephen, full of grace and power, did great wonders and signs among the people. Then
some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called),
Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and others of those from Cilicia and Asia, stood up and
argued with Stephen. But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with
which he spoke. Then they secretly instigated some men to say, 'We have heard him
speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.' They stirred up the people as well
as the elders and the scribes; then they suddenly confronted him, seized him, and
brought him before the council. They set up false witnesses who said, 'This man never
stops saying things against this holy place and the law; for we have heard him say that
this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses
handed on to us.' And all who sat in the council looked intently at him, and they saw
that his face was like the face of an angel.

Most holy and gracious God,
we praise you for the glorious freedom
we have together in Christ Jesus.

You have called us to be brothers and sisters
in the covenant of your Church.
Hear our desire to live in covenant relationships
of binding and loosing,
so that we may truly be your faithful people.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Enlarge our understandings of how we can work together
to raise up your Church and your mission
in this technological age.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Forgive us for not being sensitive to one another
and for preferring to be loners instead of joining in our common cause.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

As you have forgiven us, may we forgive one another.
May our love flow like an everlasting river,
making our baptismal covenant a daily reality.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

O Lord, whose way is perfect,
help us always to trust in your goodness,
to walk in the way of faith,
and to follow in the path of simplicity.
Teach us to cast our cares on your providence,
that we may possess a quiet mind
and a contended spirit;

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Emma Richards, Villa
Park, Illinois as adapted in _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald
Press.

The collect is by Christina Rossetti.