OREMUS: 16 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 15 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 16, 2006

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

We have heard with our ears, O God,
   our forebears have told us,*
 the deeds you did in their days,
   in the days of old.
How with your hand you drove the peoples out
   and planted our forebears in the land;*
 how you destroyed nations and made your people flourish.
For they did not take the land by their sword,
   nor did their arm win the victory for them;*
 but your right hand, your arm,
   and the light of your countenance,
   because you favoured them.
You are my King and my God;*
 you command victories for Jacob.
Through you we pushed back our adversaries;*
 through your name we trampled on those
   who rose up against us.
For I do not rely on my bow,*
 and my sword does not give me the victory.
Surely, you gave us victory over our adversaries*
 and put those who hate us to shame.
Every day we gloried in God,*
 and we will praise your name for ever.
Nevertheless, you have rejected and humbled us*
 and do not go forth with our armies.
You have made us fall back before our adversary,*
 and our enemies have plundered us.
You have made us like sheep to be eaten*
 and have scattered us among the nations.
You are selling your people for a trifle*
 and are making no profit on the sale of them.
You have made us the scorn of our neighbours,*
 a mockery and derision to those around us.
You have made us a byword among the nations,*
 a laughing-stock among the peoples.
My humiliation is daily before me,*
 and shame has covered my face;
Because of the taunts of the mockers and blasphemers,*
 because of the enemy and avenger.
All this has come upon us;*
 yet we have not forgotten you,
   nor have we betrayed your covenant.
Our heart never turned back,*
 nor did our footsteps stray from your path;
Though you thrust us down into a place of misery,*
 and covered us over with deep darkness.
If we have forgotten the name of our God,*
 or stretched out our hands to some strange god,
Will not God find it out?*
 for he knows the secrets of the heart.
Indeed, for your sake we are killed all the day long;*
 we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Awake, O Lord! why are you sleeping?*
 Arise! do not reject us for ever.
Why have you hidden your face*
 and forgotten our affliction and oppression?
We sink down into the dust;*
 our body cleaves to the ground.
Rise up and help us,*
 and save us for the sake of your steadfast love.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 18:19-33]:

Ahimaaz son of Zadok said, 'Let me run, and carry tidings
to the king that the Lord has delivered him from the
power of his enemies.' Joab said to him, 'You are not to
carry tidings today; you may carry tidings another day,
but today you shall not do so, because the king's son is
dead.' Then Joab said to a Cushite, 'Go, tell the king
what you have seen.' The Cushite bowed before Joab, and
ran. Then Ahimaaz son of Zadok said again to Joab, 'Come
what may, let me also run after the Cushite.' And Joab
said, 'Why will you run, my son, seeing that you have no
reward for the tidings?' 'Come what may,' he said, 'I
will run.' So he said to him, 'Run.' Then Ahimaaz ran by
the way of the Plain, and outran the Cushite.
Now David was sitting between the two gates. The sentinel
went up to the roof of the gate by the wall, and when he
looked up, he saw a man running alone. The sentinel
shouted and told the king. The king said, 'If he is
alone, there are tidings in his mouth.' He kept coming,
and drew near. Then the sentinel saw another man running;
and the sentinel called to the gatekeeper and said, 'See,
another man running alone!' The king said, 'He also is
bringing tidings.' The sentinel said, 'I think the
running of the first one is like the running of Ahimaaz
son of Zadok.' The king said, 'He is a good man, and
comes with good tidings.'

Then Ahimaaz cried out to the king, 'All is well!' He
prostrated himself before the king with his face to the
ground, and said, 'Blessed be the Lord your God, who has
delivered up the men who raised their hand against my
lord the king.' The king said, 'Is it well with the young
man Absalom?' Ahimaaz answered, 'When Joab sent your
servant, I saw a great tumult, but I do not know what it
was.' The king said, 'Turn aside, and stand here.' So he
turned aside, and stood still.
Then the Cushite came; and the Cushite said, 'Good
tidings for my lord the king! For the Lord has vindicated
you this day, delivering you from the power of all who
rose up against you.' The king said to the Cushite, 'Is
it well with the young man Absalom?' The Cushite
answered, 'May the enemies of my lord the king, and all
who rise up to do you harm, be like that young man.'
The king was deeply moved, and went up to the chamber
over the gate, and wept; and as he went, he said, 'O my
son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would that I had
died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!'

HYMN
Words: John Wesley, 1745
Tune: Rhosymedre, Dolgelly, Gweedore, Author of Life

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a396.html

Author of life divine,
who hast a table spread,
furnished with mystic wine
and everlasting bread,
preserve the life thyself hast given,
and feed and train us up for heaven.

Our needy souls sustain
with fresh supplies of love,
till all thy life we gain,
and all thy fullness prove,
and, strengthened by thy perfect grace,
behold without a veil thy face.

SECOND READING [John 6:35-40]:

Jesus said to them, 'I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry,
and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen
me and yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and
anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven,
not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him
who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on
the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe
in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.'

Let us pray for the grace to recognize
the presence of God in our lives.

Open our eyes to see your salvation;
reveal yourself to a blind humanity.

Make your face shine upon those who live with disease;
give them your strength and your peace.

Let all who are weighed down by want come to know your bounty;
that they may put their trust in your goodness.

To those who hold power and riches, grant a discerning spirit;
that they may be set free by your freedom and love.

Give to us, O Lord,
a quiet mind, furnished with peaceful thoughts,
patient words and gentle deeds.
May we have a lively faith, a firm hope and fervent love.
Take from us all lukewarmness of spirit and all dullness in prayer,
and grant that we may labor for that which we ask of you;

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is based on a prayer in _In Spirit and In Truth_, (c) World
Council of Churches, 1991.

The collect is by Thomas More.