OREMUS: 13 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 12 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, August 13, 2006
The Tenth Sunday after Pentecost

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

Bless the Lord (Song of the Three 29-34)
Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 15:13-31]:

A messenger came to David, saying, 'The hearts of the
Israelites have gone after Absalom.' Then David said to
all his officials who were with him at Jerusalem, 'Get
up! Let us flee, or there will be no escape for us from
Absalom. Hurry, or he will soon overtake us, and bring
disaster down upon us, and attack the city with the edge
of the sword.' The king's officials said to the king,
'Your servants are ready to do whatever our lord the king
decides.' So the king left, followed by all his
household, except ten concubines whom he left behind to
look after the house. The king left, followed by all the
people; and they stopped at the last house. All his
officials passed by him; and all the Cherethites, and all
the Pelethites, and all the six hundred Gittites who had
followed him from Gath, passed on before the king.
Then the king said to Ittai the Gittite, 'Why are you
also coming with us? Go back, and stay with the king; for
you are a foreigner, and also an exile from your home.
You came only yesterday, and shall I today make you
wander about with us, while I go wherever I can? Go back,
and take your kinsfolk with you; and may the Lord show
steadfast love and faithfulness to you.' But Ittai
answered the king, 'As the Lord lives, and as my lord the
king lives, wherever my lord the king may be, whether for
death or for life, there also your servant will be.'
David said to Ittai, 'Go then, march on.' So Ittai the
Gittite marched on, with all his men and all the little
ones who were with him. The whole country wept aloud as
all the people passed by; the king crossed the Wadi
Kidron, and all the people moved on towards the
wilderness.
Abiathar came up, and Zadok also, with all the Levites,
carrying the ark of the covenant of God. They set down
the ark of God, until the people had all passed out of
the city. Then the king said to Zadok, 'Carry the ark of
God back into the city. If I find favour in the eyes of
the Lord, he will bring me back and let me see both it
and the place where it remains. But if he says, "I take
no pleasure in you", here I am, let him do to me what
seems good to him.' The king also said to the priest
Zadok, 'Look, go back to the city in peace, you and
Abiathar, with your two sons, Ahimaaz your son, and
Jonathan son of Abiathar. See, I will wait at the fords
of the wilderness until word comes from you to inform
me.' So Zadok and Abiathar carried the ark of God back to
Jerusalem, and they remained there.
But David went up the ascent of the Mount of Olives,
weeping as he went, with his head covered and walking
barefoot; and all the people who were with him covered
their heads and went up, weeping as they went. David was
told that Ahithophel was among the conspirators with
Absalom. And David said, 'O Lord, I pray you, turn the
counsel of Ahithophel into foolishness.'

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1747
Tune: Hyfrydol, Love Divine, Blaenwern

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l531.html

Love divine, all loves excelling,
joy of heaven, to earth come down,
fix in us thy humble dwelling,
all thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, thou art all compassion,
pure, unbounded love thou art;
visit us with thy salvation,
enter every trembling heart.

Come, almighty to deliver,
let us all thy life receive;
suddenly return, and never,
nevermore thy temples leave.
Thee we would be always blessing,
serve thee as thy hosts above,
pray, and praise thee without ceasing,
glory in thy perfect love.

Finish then thy new creation;
pure and spotless let us be;
let us see thy great salvation
perfectly restored in thee:
changed from glory into glory,
till in heaven we take our place,
till we cast our crowns before thee,
lost in wonder, love, and praise.

SECOND READING [2 Peter 3:14-18]:

Therefore, beloved, while you are waiting for these things, strive to be found by him at
peace, without spot or blemish; and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation. So
also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given to him,
speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to
understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do
the other scriptures. You therefore, beloved, since you are forewarned, beware that
you are not carried away with the error of the lawless and lose your own stability. But
grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the
glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
you sent your Holy Spirit
to be the life and light of your Church:
Open our hearts to the riches of your grace,
that we may bring forth the fruit of the Spirit
in love, joy, and peace;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Intercession Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
(Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.