OREMUS: 9 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 8 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 9, 2006
Mary Sumner, Founder of the Mothers' Union, 1921

Blessing and honor to God the Father, who is our hope.
Blessing and honor to God the Son, who is our refuge.
Blessing and honor to God the Holy Spirit, who is our protection,
Blessing and honor to the Holy Trinity, glorious now and for ever.

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
   and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
   this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
   your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 13:1-19]:

Some time passed. David's son Absalom had a beautiful
sister whose name was Tamar; and David's son Amnon fell
in love with her. Amnon was so tormented that he made
himself ill because of his sister Tamar, for she was a
virgin and it seemed impossible to Amnon to do anything
to her. But Amnon had a friend whose name was Jonadab,
the son of David's brother Shimeah; and Jonadab was a
very crafty man. He said to him, 'O son of the king, why
are you so haggard morning after morning? Will you not
tell me?' Amnon said to him, 'I love Tamar, my brother
Absalom's sister.' Jonadab said to him, 'Lie down on your
bed, and pretend to be ill; and when your father comes to
see you, say to him, "Let my sister Tamar come and give
me something to eat, and prepare the food in my sight, so
that I may see it and eat it from her hand." ' So Amnon
lay down, and pretended to be ill; and when the king came
to see him, Amnon said to the king, 'Please let my sister
Tamar come and make a couple of cakes in my sight, so
that I may eat from her hand.'
Then David sent home to Tamar, saying, 'Go to your
brother Amnon's house, and prepare food for him.' So
Tamar went to her brother Amnon's house, where he was
lying down. She took dough, kneaded it, made cakes in his
sight, and baked the cakes. Then she took the pan and set
them out before him, but he refused to eat. Amnon said,
'Send out everyone from me.' So everyone went out from
him. Then Amnon said to Tamar, 'Bring the food into the
chamber, so that I may eat from your hand.' So Tamar took
the cakes she had made, and brought them into the chamber
to Amnon her brother. But when she brought them near him
to eat, he took hold of her, and said to her, 'Come, lie
with me, my sister.' She answered him, 'No, my brother,
do not force me; for such a thing is not done in Israel;
do not do anything so vile! As for me, where could I
carry my shame? And as for you, you would be as one of
the scoundrels in Israel. Now therefore, I beg you, speak
to the king; for he will not withhold me from you.' But
he would not listen to her; and being stronger than she
was, he forced her and lay with her.
Then Amnon was seized with a very great loathing for her;
indeed, his loathing was even greater than the lust he
had felt for her. Amnon said to her, 'Get out!' But she
said to him, 'No, my brother; for this wrong in sending
me away is greater than the other that you did to me.'
But he would not listen to her. He called the young man
who served him and said, 'Put this woman out of my
presence, and bolt the door after her.' (Now she was
wearing a long robe with sleeves; for this is how the
virgin daughters of the king were clothed in earlier
times.) So his servant put her out, and bolted the door
after her. But Tamar put ashes on her head, and tore the
long robe that she was wearing; she put her hand on her
head, and went away, crying aloud as she went.

HYMN
Words: Frank Mason North, 1903
Tune: Gardiner

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w404.html

Where cross the crowded ways of life,
where sound the cries of race and clan,
above the noise of selfish strife,
we hear thy voice, O Son of Man.

In haunts of wretchedness and need,
on shadowed thresholds dark with fears,
from paths where hide the lures of greed,
we catch the vision of thy tears.

>From tender childhoods helplessness,
from woman's grief, man's burdened toil,
from famished souls, from sorrow's stress,
thy heart has never known recoil.

The cup of water given for thee
still holds the freshness of thy grace;
yet long these multitudes to see
the sweet compassion of thy face.

O Master, from the mountain side,
make haste to heal these hearts of pain;
among these restless throngs abide,
O tread the city's streets again;

Till all the world shall learn thy love,
and follow where thy feet have trod;
till glorious from thy heaven above,
shall come the city of our God.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 12:27-31]:

Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed
in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers; then deeds of power, then
gifts of healing, forms of assistance, forms of leadership, various kinds of tongues. Are
all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess
gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But strive for the greater
gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

Creator God,
from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
we commend all your people
to your tender care and safekeeping.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Protect all who are work in mines, tend machinery,
or travel by land, sea or air.
Defend those in mortal danger because of evil surrounding them.
Fill every hospital and nursing home
with your spirit of healing and love.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Govern our nation and its leaders,
that all that mars our social life and causes misery may be relieved,
that each person may have access to work, homes, food and health care.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Break down the suspicions and fears that keep the nations apart.
Rebuke those who foster prejudice.
Teach us all to live together in the peace of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Grant to every member of your Church
the faith that removes obstacles,
the hope that makes all things new
and the love that brings deliverance,
that we more effectively serve you
and bring others to the knowledge of your truth.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Spirit of God, come as the wind to move us forward;
come as the dover to launch us heavenward;
comes as the water to purify our spirits;
come as the cloud to abate our temptations;
comes as the dew to fresh our languor;
come as the fire to purge our dross. Amen.

Faithful and loving God,
who called Mary Sumner to strive
for the renewal of family life:
give us the gift of your Holy Spirit,
that through word, prayer and deed
your family may be strengthened and your people saved;

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is derived from Compline in the Orthodox tradition.

The intercession is adapted from _Prayers for Use in Church_, by J.W.G.
Masteron, (c) 1970, St. Andrew Press.

The first collect is by Christina Rossetti.

The closing prayer is derived from a sentence in in _Opening Prayers: Collects in

Mary Elizabeth Sumner (n e Heywood) was born in 1828 at Swinton. In 1848,
she married a young curate, George Henry Sumner, nephew of Archbishop
Sumner, who was himself to become Bishop of Guildford in 1888. A mother of
three children, Mary called a meeting in 1876 at which the Mothers' Union was
founded, providing a forum in which to unite mothers of all classes in the aim
of bringing up children in the Christian faith. Baptism and parental example
were its two basic principles. At first a parochial organisation, it grew steadily
into an international concern, encouraging the ideal of a Christian home. Mary
died on this day in 1921. [Exciting Holiness]