OREMUS: 8 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 7 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Dominic, Priest, Founder of the Order of Preachers, 1221

Blessing and honor to God the Father, who is our hope.
Blessing and honor to God the Son, who is our refuge.
Blessing and honor to God the Holy Spirit, who is our protection,
Blessing and honor to the Holy Trinity, glorious now and for ever.

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 12:15-25]:

Then Nathan went to his house.
The Lord struck the child that Uriah's wife bore to
David, and it became very ill. David therefore pleaded
with God for the child; David fasted, and went in and lay
all night on the ground. The elders of his house stood
beside him, urging him to rise from the ground; but he
would not, nor did he eat food with them. On the seventh
day the child died. And the servants of David were afraid
to tell him that the child was dead; for they said,
'While the child was still alive, we spoke to him, and he
did not listen to us; how then can we tell him the child
is dead? He may do himself some harm.' But when David saw
that his servants were whispering together, he perceived
that the child was dead; and David said to his servants,
'Is the child dead?' They said, 'He is dead.'
Then David rose from the ground, washed, anointed
himself, and changed his clothes. He went into the house
of the Lord, and worshipped; he then went to his own
house; and when he asked, they set food before him and he
ate. Then his servants said to him, 'What is this thing
that you have done? You fasted and wept for the child
while it was alive; but when the child died, you rose and
ate food.' He said, 'While the child was still alive, I
fasted and wept; for I said, "Who knows? The Lord may be
gracious to me, and the child may live." But now he is
dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I
shall go to him, but he will not return to me.'
Then David consoled his wife Bathsheba, and went to her,
and lay with her; and she bore a son, and he named him
Solomon. The Lord loved him, and sent a message by the
prophet Nathan; so he named him Jedidiah, because of the
Lord.

HYMN
Words: John Wesley, 1745
Tune: Rhosymedre, Dolgelly, Gweedore, Author of Life

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a396.html

Author of life divine,
who hast a table spread,
furnished with mystic wine
and everlasting bread,
preserve the life thyself hast given,
and feed and train us up for heaven.

Our needy souls sustain
with fresh supplies of love,
till all thy life we gain,
and all thy fullness prove,
and, strengthened by thy perfect grace,
behold without a veil thy face.

SECOND READING [Mark 8:1-10]:

In those days when there was again a great crowd without anything to eat, Jesus called
his disciples and said to them, 'I have compassion for the crowd, because they have
been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat. If I send them away hungry
to their homes, they will faint on the way and some of them have come from a great
distance.' His disciples replied, 'How can one feed these people with bread here in the
desert?' He asked them, 'How many loaves do you have?' They said, 'Seven.' Then he
ordered the crowd to sit down on the ground; and he took the seven loaves, and after
giving thanks he broke them and gave them to his disciples to distribute; and they
distributed them to the crowd. They had also a few small fish; and after blessing them,
he ordered that these too should be distributed. They ate and were filled; and they
took up the broken pieces left over, seven baskets full. Now there were about four
thousand people. And he sent them away. And immediately he got into the boat with
his disciples and went to the district of Dalmanutha.

Lord Jesus,
born in pain, struggling towards life, fighting for breath;
born in shame,
born to the threat of Herod's sword;
fleeing to another country, another home;
wrapped in a young girl's love, placed in a borrowed bed;
We pray for those we know and love;
for all who suffer pain of body or anguish of mind;
for all who struggle to live, to live well, to live better;
for all who burn with shame,
for all who face threat and danger,
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for war-ravaged countries and refugees;
for the starving poor;
for battered wives and abused children;
for the homeless, for the mentally ill;
for those who struggle with disability.
Strengthen us to work for peace on the earth
and peace with the earth.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for the Church.
Keep us faithful that we may bear faithful witness in word and work
to your presence among us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are alone.
May our love reach out to the lonely and broken-hearted,
the bereaved, and all for whom life has become something to be endured.
May we open our minds, hearts and homes to those around us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

And we pray for our own needs:
seeking the grace of your presence,
firming our resolve to behave as we believe;
seeking your courage to reconcile, heal and make new;
seeking a sure vision of your coming kingdom.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

God of love, give us love:
Love in our thinking and our speaking;
Love in our doing and in the hidden places of our souls;
Love of our neighbors far and near;
Love of those who find it hard to bear
and of those who find it hard to bear with us;
Love in joy, Love in sorrow;
Love in life and love in death. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose servant Dominic grew
in the knowledge of your truth
and formed an order of preachers
to proclaim the faith of Christ:
by your grace give to all your people
a love for your word
and a longing to share the gospel,
so that the whole world may come to know you
and your Son Jesus Christ our Lord,

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is derived from Compline in the Orthodox tradition.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell,
http://www.methodist-mission-chch.org/resource-intercessions.html

The first collect is by Archbishop William Temple.

The closing prayer is derived from a sentence in in _Opening Prayers: Collects in

Dominic was born in Castile, in Spain, in 1170. He entered the priesthood, and
eventually became prior of the canons of the cathedral chapter (the clergy who
formed the staff of the cathedral and conducted the daily worship services) at
Osma (42:52 N 3:03 W). The turning point of his life came in 1206, when he
was chosen to accompany the bishop on a visit to southern France, to an area
held by the Albigenses. These were a heretical sect more or less directly
descended from the early Gnostics and Manichees. They were dualists, holding
that there are two gods, one the god of goodness, light, truth, and spirit, and
the other the god of evil, darkness, error, and matter. The material universe is
the creation of the bad god. The good god made the souls of men, and the bad
god kidnapped them and imprisoned them in bodies of flesh. On their first night
in Albigensian country, they stayed at an inn where the innkeeper was an
Albigensian. Dominic engaged him in conversation, they sat up all night
talking, and by dawn the man was ready to become an orthodox Christian.
>From then on, Dominic knew what his calling in life was. Dominic and his
bishop undertook to study the Albigensian beliefs and to engage in public
debates with their opponents. They seemed to be making some progress, but in
1207 the bishop died, and in the same year the murder by Albigenses of the
papal legate moved the pope to declare a crusade against the Albigenses, which
lasted about five years.
Dominic continued to preach and to debate where he could, and in 1215 he
founded an order of preachers, who were to live in poverty, and devote
themselves to studying philosophy and theology and to combatting false
doctrine by logical argument rather than by the use of force. He was convinced
that a major obstacle to the conversion of heretics was the material wealth of
some of the clergy, which made plausible the accusation that they were
concerned for their purses and not for the glory of God, and made workers
indisposed to hear them. He therefore determined that the brothers of his order
should live lives of poverty and simplicity, being no better off materially than
those they sought to convert. When he was in Rome, seeking authorization for
his order from the Pope, the Pope gave him a tour of the treasures of the
Vatican, and remarked complacently (referring to Acts 3:6), "Peter can no
longer say, 'Silver and gold have I none.'" Dominic turned and looked straight
at the Pope, and said, "No, and neither can he say, 'Rise and walk.'" He got the
permission he was seeking, and the order grew and flourished. Officially
known as the Order of Preachers (hence the letters O.P. after the name of a
member), it was informally known as the Dominicans, or the Blackfriars (from
the color of their cloaks). Two of their best-known members are Albertus
Magnus (Albert the Great, 1200-1280, see 15 Nov), who was famous for his
learning in numerous fields, and his pupil Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274, see 28
Jan), who wrote reconciling Christian theology with the philosophy of
Aristotle, which was then being rediscovered in western Europe, and was
thought by many to be a threat to Christianity. In later years, the Order forgot
its commitment to "logic and persuasion, not force" as the means of bringing
men to Christian truth, and many of its members were active in the Inquisition.
Dominic was three times offered a bishopric, and refused, believing that he
was called to another work. He died in 1220 in Bologna, Italy (44:30 N 11:20
E), after a preaching mission to Hungary. His emblem in art is a dog with a
torch in its mouth, a pun on his name (the Dominicans are sometimes called the
"Domini canes", the hounds of the Lord), and a reference to his relying on the
power of preaching.