OREMUS: 2 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 1 21:17:25 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 2, 2006

the giver of every gift that endures.
By the word of your Son,
you challenge our foolishness,
confront our greed,
and shape our lives
to the wisdom of the Gospel.

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

A Song of the Lord's Anointed (Isaiah 61.1-3,11,6a)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
 because he has anointed me.

He has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed,
 to bind up the broken-hearted,

To proclaim liberty to the captives,
 and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

To proclaim the year of the Lord's favour,
 to comfort all who mourn,

To give them a garland instead of ashes,
 the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
 the mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit,

That they may be called oaks of righteousness,
 the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
 and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall the Lord God make righteousness and praise
 blossom before all the nations.

You shall be called priests of the Lord
 they shall speak of you as ministers of our God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Luke 5:17-26]:

One day, while Jesus was teaching, Pharisees and teachers
of the law were sitting nearby (they had come from every
village of Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem); and the
power of the Lord was with him to heal. Just then some
men came, carrying a paralysed man on a bed. They were
trying to bring him in and lay him before Jesus; but
finding no way to bring him in because of the crowd, they
went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through
the tiles into the middle of the crowd in front of Jesus.
When he saw their faith, he said, 'Friend, your sins are
forgiven you.' Then the scribes and the Pharisees began
to question, 'Who is this who is speaking blasphemies?
Who can forgive sins but God alone?' When Jesus perceived
their questionings, he answered them, 'Why do you raise
such questions in your hearts? Which is easier, to say,
"Your sins are forgiven you", or to say, "Stand up and
walk"? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has
authority on earth to forgive sins' he said to the one
who was paralysed 'I say to you, stand up and take your
bed and go to your home.' Immediately he stood up before
them, took what he had been lying on, and went to his
home, glorifying God. Amazement seized all of them, and
they glorified God and were filled with awe, saying, 'We
have seen strange things today.'

For another Biblical reading,

Tobit 6:2, 10-16; 7:1, 9b-11

HYMN
Words:  Henry Twells, 188
Tune: Waltham
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n053.html

Not for our sins alone
thy mercy, Lord, we sue;
let fall thy pitying glance
on our devotions too,
what we have done for thee,
and what we think to do.

The holiest hours we spend
in prayer upon our knees,
the times when most we deem
our songs of praise will please,
thou searcher of all hearts,
forgiveness pour on these.

And all the gifts we bring,
and all the vows we make,
and all the acts of love
we plan for thy dear sake,
into thy pardoning thought,
O God of mercy, take.

And most, when we, thy flock,
before thine altar bend,
and strange, bewildering thought
with those sweet moments blend,
by him whose death we plead,
good Lord, thy help extend.

Bow down thine ear and hear!
Open thine eyes and see!
Our very love is shame,
and we must come to thee
to make it of thy grace
what thou wouldst have it be.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Be with us, God of consolation,
when we are made weary by this world;
turn our sorrow into joy
and give us lips to sing your praise
and lives to proclaim your victory in Jesus Christ,
our crucified and risen Lord. Amen.

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central Communications
Board.