OREMUS: 1 May 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 30 21:09:07 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, May 1, 2006
Saint Philip and Saint James, Apostles

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
We rejoice to share in the redemption
made known to use by the apostles,
the steadfast and sure witnesses of salvation,
who desired to know you, the Father,
in the fullness of truth.

Psalm 139 [CCP]

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [John 14:1-14]:

Jesus said, 'Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe
in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house there
are many dwelling-places. If it were not so, would I have
told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I
go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and
will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you
may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am
going.' Thomas said to him, 'Lord, we do not know where
you are going. How can we know the way?' Jesus said to
him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one
comes to the Father except through me. If you know me,
you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him
and have seen him.'
Philip said to him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and we
will be satisfied.' Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with
you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me?
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say,
"Show us the Father"? Do you not believe that I am in the
Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to
you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells
in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father
and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe
me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell
you, the one who believes in me will also do the works
that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these,
because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you
ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in
the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do
it.'

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah
30:15-21

HYMN
Words: William Edgar Enman, 1908
Tune: Laus tibi Christe
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/k/k014.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/k/k014.html

King of saints, we offer
highest praise to thee,
who didst free thy servants
from captivity;
sending thine apostles
to convey thy grace
unto every nation
and to every race.

Two of thine apostles
we remember now,
whom thou didst so freely
with thy grace endow.
Thou unto Saint Philip
hast thyself revealed,
one with God the Father
though in flesh concealed.

O how can we thank thee
for the light conferred
by Saint James thy servant,
in his faithful word.
Like these two apostles
faithful unto death,
may we love and serve thee
till our latest breath.

Make us dear Redeemer,
more and more like thee,
be the Way to lead us
o'er life's dark sea;
be the Truth to light us
to our home on high;
be the Life within us
that can never die.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church, remembering especially today
the Diocese of Central  Central Tanganyika, Tanzania,
The Rt Revd Godfrey Mdimi Mhogolo, Bishop.
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Almighty God,
who gave to your apostles Philip and James
grace and strength to bear witness to the truth:
Grant that we, being mindful of their victory of faith,
may glorify in life and death
the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The psalms  and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from _Celebrating

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on two
phrases in a prayer from _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The
Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c)
The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer_ (1979),
Charles Mortimer Guilbert, Custodian.