OREMUS: 30 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 29 19:17:29 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, April 30, 2006
The Third Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Ezekiel 37:15-28]:

The word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, take a stick and
write on it, 'For Judah, and the Israelites associated
with it'; then take another stick and write on it, 'For
Joseph (the stick of Ephraim) and all the house of Israel
associated with it'; and join them together into one
stick, so that they may become one in your hand. And when
your people say to you, 'Will you not show us what you
mean by these?' say to them, Thus says the Lord God: I am
about to take the stick of Joseph (which is in the hand
of Ephraim) and the tribes of Israel associated with it;
and I will put the stick of Judah upon it, and make them
one stick, in order that they may be one in my hand. When
the sticks on which you write are in your hand before
their eyes, then say to them, Thus says the Lord God: I
will take the people of Israel from the nations among
which they have gone, and will gather them from every
quarter, and bring them to their own land. I will make
them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel;
and one king shall be king over them all. Never again
shall they be two nations, and never again shall they be
divided into two kingdoms. They shall never again defile
themselves with their idols and their detestable things,
or with any of their transgressions. I will save them
from all the apostasies into which they have fallen, and
will cleanse them. Then they shall be my people, and I
will be their God.
My servant David shall be king over them; and they shall
all have one shepherd. They shall follow my ordinances
and be careful to observe my statutes. They shall live in
the land that I gave to my servant Jacob, in which your
ancestors lived; they and their children and their
children's children shall live there for ever; and my
servant David shall be their prince for ever. I will make
a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting
covenant with them; and I will bless them and multiply
them, and will set my sanctuary among them for evermore.
My dwelling-place shall be with them; and I will be their
God, and they shall be my people. Then the nations shall
know that I the Lord sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary
is among them for evermore.

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 19:4-10

HYMN
Words: William Kethe (died 1594), 1561
Tune: Old 100th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a142.html

All people that on earth do dwell,
sing to the Lord with cheerful voice:
him serve with mirth, his praise forth tell,
come ye before him and rejoice.

The Lord, ye know, is God indeed;
without our aid he did us make:
we are his folk, he doth us feed,
and for his sheep he doth us take.

O enter then his gates with praise,
approach with joy his courts unto;
praise, laud, and bless his Name always,
for it is seemly so to do.

For why? the Lord our God is good,
his mercy is for ever sure;
his truth at all times firmly stood,
and shall from age to age endure.

To Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
the God whom heaven and earth adore,
from men and from the angel host
be praise and glory evermore.

Jesus, bread from heaven,
you satisfy the hungry with good things:
Grant us a share with all the faithful departed,
in the banquet of your kingdom.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, the light of the world,
you gave the man born blind the gift of sight:
Open the eye of faith
and bring us from darkness
to your eternal light and glory.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, Son of the living God,
you summoned your friend Lazarus from death to life:
Raise us at the last to full and eternal life with you.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, crucified Savior,
in your dying you entrusted
Mary your Mother and John your Beloved to each other:
Sustain and comfort all who mourn.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, our Way and Truth and Life,
you drew your disciple Thomas from doubt to faith:
Reveal the resurrection faith to the doubting and the lost:
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

May God in his infinite mercy
bring the whole Church,
living and departed in the Lord Jesus,
to a joyful resurrection
and the fulfillment of his eternal kingdom. Amen.

Almighty Father,
who in your great mercy gladdened the disciples
   with the sight of the risen Lord:
give us such knowledge of his presence with us,
that we may be strengthened and sustained
   by his risen life
and serve you continually in righteousness and truth;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.