OREMUS: 28 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 27 23:10:32 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, April 28, 2006

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 88

O Lord, my God, my Saviour,*
 by day and night I cry to you.
Let my prayer enter into your presence;*
 incline your ear to my lamentation.
For I am full of trouble;*
 my life is at the brink of the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;*
 I have become like one who has no strength;
Lost among the dead,*
 like the slain who lie in the grave,
Whom you remember no more,*
 for they are cut off from your hand.
You have laid me in the depths of the Pit,*
 in dark places and in the abyss.
Your anger weighs upon me heavily,*
 and all your great waves overwhelm me.
You have put my friends far from me;
   you have made me to be abhorred by them;*
 I am in prison and cannot get free.
My sight has failed me because of trouble;*
 Lord, I have called upon you daily;
   I have stretched out my hands to you.
Do you work wonders for the dead?*
 will those who have died
   stand up and give you thanks?
Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave?*
 your faithfulness in the land of destruction?
Will your wonders be known in the dark?*
 or your righteousness in the country
   where all is forgotten?
But as for me, O Lord, I cry to you for help;*
 in the morning my prayer comes before you.
Lord, why have you rejected me?*
 why have you hidden your face from me?
Ever since my youth,
   I have been wretched and at the point of death;*
 I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.
Your blazing anger has swept over me;*
 your terrors have destroyed me;
They surround me all day long like a flood;*
 they encompass me on every side.
My friend and my neighbour you have put away from me,*
 and darkness is my only companion.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [Judges 11:1-3,29-40]:

Now Jephthah the Gileadite, the son of a prostitute, was
a mighty warrior. Gilead was the father of Jephthah.
Gilead's wife also bore him sons; and when his wife's
sons grew up, they drove Jephthah away, saying to him,
'You shall not inherit anything in our father's house;
for you are the son of another woman.' Then Jephthah fled
from his brothers and lived in the land of Tob. Outlaws
collected around Jephthah and went raiding with him.
Then the spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he
passed through Gilead and Manasseh. He passed on to
Mizpah of Gilead, and from Mizpah of Gilead he passed on
to the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord,
and said, 'If you will give the Ammonites into my hand,
then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet
me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be
the Lord's, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.'
So Jephthah crossed over to the Ammonites to fight
against them; and the Lord gave them into his hand. He
inflicted a massive defeat on them from Aroer to the
neighbourhood of Minnith, twenty towns, and as far as
Abel-keramim. So the Ammonites were subdued before the
people of Israel.
Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was
his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and
with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or
daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his
clothes, and said, 'Alas, my daughter! You have brought
me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble
to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I
cannot take back my vow.' She said to him, 'My father, if
you have opened your mouth to the Lord, do to me
according to what has gone out of your mouth, now that
the Lord has given you vengeance against your enemies,
the Ammonites.' And she said to her father, 'Let this
thing be done for me: Grant me two months, so that I may
go and wander on the mountains, and bewail my virginity,
my companions and I.' 'Go,' he said and sent her away for
two months. So she departed, she and her companions, and
bewailed her virginity on the mountains. At the end of
two months, she returned to her father, who did with her
according to the vow he had made. She had never slept
with a man. So there arose an Israelite custom that for
four days every year the daughters of Israel would go out
to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 8:26-39

HYMN
Words: Michael Weisse (1480-1534), 1531;
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878), 1858
Tune: W rttemberg
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c100.html

Christ the Lord is risen again!
Christ hath broken every chain!
Hark! angelic voices cry,
singing evermore on high,
Alleluia!

He who gave for us his life,
who for us endured the strife,
is our Paschal Lamb today;
we too sing for joy, and say:
Alleluia!

He who bore all pain and loss
comfortless upon the cross
lives in glory now on high,
pleads for us, and hears our cry;
Alleluia!

He who slumbered in the grave
is exalted now to save;
through the universe it rings
that the Lamb is King of kings:
Alleluia!

Now he bids us tell abroad
how the lost may be restored,
how the penitent forgiven,
how we too may enter heaven.
Alleluia!

Thou, our Paschal Lamb indeed,
Christ, thy ransomed people feed;
take our sins and guilt away,
that we all may sing for aye

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Church in the Diocese of
 Central Philippines, The Rt Revd Dixie Copanut Taclobao, Bishop.
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.