OREMUS: 26 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Apr 25 22:58:58 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

Psalm 40

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Judges 6:11-24]:

Now the angel of the Lord came and sat under the oak at
Ophrah, which belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, as his son
Gideon was beating out wheat in the wine press, to hide
it from the Midianites. The angel of the Lord appeared to
him and said to him, 'The Lord is with you, you mighty
warrior.' Gideon answered him, 'But sir, if the Lord is
with us, why then has all this happened to us? And where
are all his wonderful deeds that our ancestors recounted
to us, saying, "Did not the Lord bring us up from Egypt?"
But now the Lord has cast us off, and given us into the
hand of Midian.' Then the Lord turned to him and said,
'Go in this might of yours and deliver Israel from the
hand of Midian; I hereby commission you.' He responded,
'But sir, how can I deliver Israel? My clan is the
weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.'
The Lord said to him, 'But I will be with you, and you
shall strike down the Midianites, every one of them.'
Then he said to him, 'If now I have found favour with
you, then show me a sign that it is you who speak with
me. Do not depart from here until I come to you, and
bring out my present, and set it before you.' And he
said, 'I will stay until you return.'
So Gideon went into his house and prepared a kid, and
unleavened cakes from an ephah of flour; the meat he put
in a basket, and the broth he put in a pot, and brought
them to him under the oak and presented them. The angel
of God said to him, 'Take the meat and the unleavened
cakes, and put them on this rock, and pour out the
broth.' And he did so. Then the angel of the Lord reached
out the tip of the staff that was in his hand, and
touched the meat and the unleavened cakes; and fire
sprang up from the rock and consumed the meat and the
unleavened cakes; and the angel of the Lord vanished from
his sight. Then Gideon perceived that it was the angel of
the Lord; and Gideon said, 'Help me, Lord God! For I have
seen the angel of the Lord face to face.' But the Lord
said to him, 'Peace be to you; do not fear, you shall not
die.' Then Gideon built an altar there to the Lord, and
called it, The Lord is peace. To this day it still stands
at Ophrah, which belongs to the Abiezrites.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 8:16-21

HYMN
Words: Horatius Bonar, 1861
Tune: Moseley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o477.html

O love that casts out fear,
O love that casts out sin,
tarry no more without,
but come and dwell within.

True sunlight of the soul,
surround us as we go;
so shall our way be safe,
our feet no straying know.

Great love of God, come in!
Well-spring of heavenly peace;
thou Living Water, come!
Spring up, and never cease.

Love of the living God,
of Father and of Son;
love of the Holy Ghost,
fill thou each needy one.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Central Newfoundland, Canada, and its Bishop.
Lord, have mercy

O Lord, who did not abandon your Faithful One in the Pit
but raised him victorious from the grave:
show the path of life
   to those redeemed as his own possession,
that they may attain to the fullness of joy;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

The psalms, collect and prayers are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray),

Contemporary Language_.