OREMUS: 20 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 19 21:18:09 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, April 20, 2006
Thursday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [James 2:14-26]:

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can
faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them,
'Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill', and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is
the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.
But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Show me your faith without works, and
I by my works will show you my faith. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the
demons believe and shudder. Do you want to be shown, you senseless person, that faith without
works is barren? Was not our ancestor Abraham justified by works when he offered his son Isaac
on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was brought to
completion by the works. Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and
it was reckoned to him as righteousness', and he was called the friend of God. You see that a
person is justified by works and not by faith alone. Likewise, was not Rahab the prostitute also
justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by another road? For
just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah
51:1-11

HYMN
Words: ascribed to Wipo, ca. 1030;
trans. The English Hymnal, 1906
Tune: Victimae paschali laudes
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c134.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c134.html

Christians, to the Paschal victim
offer your thankful praises!

A lamb the sheep redeemeth:
Christ, who only is sinless,
reconcileth sinners to the Father.

Death and life have contended
in that combat stupendous:
the Prince of life, who died,
reigns immortal.

Speak, Mary, declaring
what thou sawest, wayfaring:

"The tomb of Christ, who is living,
the glory of Jesus' resurrection;

"Bright angels attesting,
the shroud and napkin resting.

"Yea, Christ my hope is arisen;
to Galilee he will go before you."

Christ indeed from death is risen,
our new life obtaining;
have mercy, victor King, ever reigning!
Amen.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
We pray especially for the Church in Central Ecuador.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Almighty and everlasting God,
who in the Paschal mystery established
the new covenant of reconciliation:
Grant that all who have been reborn
into the fellowship of Christ's Body
 may show forth in their lives
what they profess by their faith;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press with one additional petition by Stephen
Benner.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.