OREMUS: 17 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 16 20:32:06 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, April 17, 2006
Monday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.<td
colspan=2>
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [James 1:1-16]:

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,

To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion:

Greetings.

My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it
nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces
endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature
and complete, lacking in nothing.

If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously
and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you. But ask in faith, never doubting,
for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the
wind; for the doubter, being double-minded and unstable in every way,
must not expect to receive anything from the Lord.

Let the believer who is lowly boast in being raised up, and the rich in being
brought low, because the rich will disappear like a flower in the field. For
the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the field; its flower falls,
and its beauty perishes. It is the same with the rich; in the midst of a busy
life, they will wither away.

Blessed is anyone who endures temptation. Such a one has stood the test
and will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who
love him. No one, when tempted, should say, 'I am being tempted by God';
for God cannot be tempted by evil and he himself tempts no one. But one is
tempted by one's own desire, being lured and enticed by it; then, when that
desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and that sin, when it is fully
grown, gives birth to death. Do not be deceived, my beloved.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 25:1-9

HYMN
Words: Archer Thompson Gurney, 1862
Tune: Resurrexit
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c071.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c071.html

Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
He hath burst his bonds in twain;
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
Alleluia! swell the strain!
For our gain he suffered loss
by divine decree;
he hath die upon the cross,
but our God is he.
Refrain:
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
He hath burst his bonds in twain;
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
Alleluia! swell the strain!

See the chains of death are broken;
earth below and heaven above
joy in each amazing token
of his rising, Lord of love;
he for evermore shall reign
by the Father's side,
till he comes to earth again,
come to claim his Bride. Refrain

Glorious angels downward thronging
hail the Lord of all the skies;
heaven, with joy and holy longing
for the Word Incarnate, cries,
"Sun and stars and earth rejoice!
Christ is risen again!
All creation find a voice;
he o'er all shall reign." Refrain

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church throughout the world, especially
the Diocese of Carlisle, England, The Rt Revd Geoffrey Graham Dow, Bishop.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Grant, we pray, Almighty God,
that we who celebrate with awe the Paschal feast
may be found worthy to attain to everlasting joys;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press with one additional petition by Stephen
Benner.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.