OREMUS: 14 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 13 20:06:06 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, April 14, 2006
Good Friday

Silent prayer

Psalm 40

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

Psalm 142

I cry to the Lord with my voice;*
 to the Lord I make loud supplication.
I pour out my complaint before him*
 and tell him all my trouble.
When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path;*
 in the way wherein I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
I look to my right hand and find no one who knows me;*
 I have no place to flee to and no one cares for me.
I cry out to you, O Lord;*
 I say, 'You are my refuge,
   my portion in the land of the living.'
Listen to my cry for help,
   for I have been brought very low;*
 save me from those who pursue me,
   for they are too strong for me.
Bring me out of prison,
   that I may give thanks to your name;*
 when you have dealt bountifully with me,
   the righteous will gather around me.

READING [Genesis 22:1-18]:

After these things God tested Abraham. He said to him, 'Abraham!' And he said, 'Here I am.' He
said, 'Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and
offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.' So Abraham
rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his
son Isaac; he cut the wood for the burnt-offering, and set out and went to the place in the distance
that God had shown him. On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place far away. Then
Abraham said to his young men, 'Stay here with the donkey; the boy and I will go over there; we
will worship, and then we will come back to you.' Abraham took the wood of the burnt-offering
and laid it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. So the two of them
walked on together. Isaac said to his father Abraham, 'Father!' And he said, 'Here I am, my son.'
He said, 'The fire and the wood are here, but where is the lamb for a burnt-offering?' Abraham
said, 'God himself will provide the lamb for a burnt-offering, my son.' So the two of them walked
on together.
When they came to the place that God had shown him, Abraham built an altar there and laid the
wood in order. He bound his son Isaac, and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then
Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to kill his son. But the angel of the Lord called
to him from heaven, and said, 'Abraham, Abraham!' And he said, 'Here I am.' He said, 'Do not
lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you
have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.' And Abraham looked up and saw a ram,
caught in a thicket by its horns. Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a
burnt-offering instead of his son. So Abraham called that place 'The Lord will provide'; as it is
said to this day, 'On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided.'
The angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time from heaven, and said, 'By myself I have
sworn, says the Lord: Because you have done this, and have not withheld your son, your only
son, I will indeed bless you, and I will make your offspring as numerous as the stars of heaven and
as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of their enemies, and
by your offspring shall all the nations of the earth gain blessing for themselves, because you have
obeyed my voice.'

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 27:1-54

HYMN
Words: Frederick William Faber, 1849
Tune: St. Cross
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o074.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o074.html

O come and mourn with me awhile;
O come ye to the Savior's side;
O come, together let us mourn;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

Have we no tears to shed for him,
while soldiers scoff and foes deride?
Ah! look how patiently he hangs;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

How fast his hands and feet are nailed;
his blessed tongue with thirst is tied,
his failing eyes are blind with blood:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

His mother cannot reach his face;
she stands in helplessness beside;
her heart is martyred with her Son's:
Jesus, our Love, is Crucified.

Seven times seven he spoke, seven words of love;
and all three hours his silence cried
for mercy on the souls of men;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

O break, O break, hard heart of mine!
Thy weak self-love and guilty pride
his Pilate and his Judas were:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

A broken heart, a fount of tears,
ask, and they will not be denied;
a broken heart love's cradle is:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

O love of God! O sin of man!
In this dread act your strength is tried;
and victory remains with love;
for he, our Love, is crucified.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
The Reproaches of Jesus on the Cross:
My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I am your Creator, Lord of the universe;
I have entrusted this world to you,
but you have created the means to destroy it.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I made you in my image,
but you have degraded body and spirit
and marred the image of your God.
You have deserted me and turned your backs on me.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I filled the earth with all that you need,
so that you might serve and care for one another,
as I have cared for you;
but you have cared only to serve your own wealth and power.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I made my children of one blood
to live in families rejoicing in one another;
but you have embittered the races
and divided the nations.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I commanded you to love your neighbour as yourself,
to love and forgive even your enemies;
but you have made vengeance your rule
and hate your guide.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

In the fullness of time I sent you my Son,
that in him you might know me,
and through him find life and peace;
but you put him to death on the cross.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

Through the living Christ, I called you into my Church
to be my servants to the world,
but you have grasped at privilege
and forgotten my will.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I have given you a heavenly gift
and a share in the Holy Spirit;
I have given you the spiritual energies
of the age to come;
but you have turned away
and crucified the Son of God afresh.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I have consecrated you in the truth;
I have made you to be one
in the unity of the Father and the Son,
by the power of the Spirit;
but you have divided my Church
and shrouded my truth.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

Turn again, my people, listen to me.

Let your bearing to one another
arise out of your life in Christ Jesus.
He humbled himself
and in obedience accepted the death of the cross.
But I have bestowed on him
the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus,
every knee should bow
and every tongue confess,
Jesus Christ is Lord.

Turn again, my people, listen to me.
Father, hear our prayer and forgive us.

Unstop our ears
that we may receive the gospel of the cross.
Lighten our eyes
that we may see your glory
in the face of your Son.
Penetrate our minds
that your truth may make us whole.
Irradiate our hearts with your love
that we may love one another for Christ's sake.
Father, forgive us.

Almighty God,
look with mercy on your family,
for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed,
and to be given into the hands of sinners,
and to suffer death upon the cross;
who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death,
even death on a cross.

The invitation to the Lord's Prayer are (adapted) from _Common
Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The reproaches are from _Lent, Holy Week, Easter_, copyright
(c) the Central Board of Finance of the Church of England, 1984, 1986.

Westminster / John Knox Press.