OREMUS: 13 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 12 20:31:25 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, April 13, 2006
Maundy Thursday

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
For he gave us a new commandment
that we should love one another as he has loved us.
Knowing that his hour had come,
in his great love he gave us the holy mysteries
of his Body and Blood,
that we, redeemed by his death
and restored to life by his resurrection,
might be partakers of his divine nature.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 55

Hear my prayer, O God;*
 do not hide yourself from my petition.
Listen to me and answer me;*
 I have no peace, because of my cares.
I am shaken by the noise of the enemy*
 and by the pressure of the wicked;
For they have cast an evil spell upon me*
 and are set against me in fury.
My heart quakes within me,*
 and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling have come over me,*
 and horror overwhelms me.
And I said, 'O that I had wings like a dove!*
 I would fly away and be at rest.
'I would flee to a far-off place*
 and make my lodging in the wilderness.
'I would hasten to escape*
 from the stormy wind and tempest.œ
Swallow them up, O Lord; confound their speech;*
 for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
Day and night the watch make their rounds upon her walls,*
 but trouble and misery are in the midst of her.
There is corruption at her heart;*
 her streets are never free of oppression and deceit.
For had it been an adversary who taunted me,
   then I could have borne it;*
 or had it been an enemy who vaunted himself against me,
   then I could have hidden from him.
But it was you, one after my own heart,*
 my companion, my own familiar friend.
We took sweet counsel together,*
 and walked with the throng in the house of God.
But I will call upon God,*
 and the Lord will deliver me.
In the evening, in the morning and at noonday
   I will complain and lament,*
 and he will hear my voice.
He will bring me safely back from the battle
   waged against me;*
 for there are many who fight me.
God, who is enthroned of old,
   will hear me and bring them down;*
 they never change; they do not fear God.
My companion stretched forth his hand against his comrade;*
 he has broken his covenant.
His speech is softer than butter,*
 but war is in his heart.
His words are smoother than oil,*
 but they are drawn swords.
Cast your burden upon the Lord and he will sustain you;*
 he will never let the righteous stumble.
For you will bring the bloodthirsty and deceitful*
 down to the pit of destruction, O God.
They shall not live out half their days,*
 but I will put my trust in you.

READING [Leviticus 16:2-24]:

The Lord said to Moses:

Tell your brother Aaron not to come just at any time into the sanctuary inside the curtain before
the mercy-seat that is upon the ark, or he will die; for I appear in the cloud upon the mercy-seat.
Thus shall Aaron come into the holy place: with a young bull for a sin-offering and a ram for a
burnt-offering. He shall put on the holy linen tunic, and shall have the linen undergarments next to
his body, fasten the linen sash, and wear the linen turban; these are the holy vestments. He shall
bathe his body in water, and then put them on. He shall take from the congregation of the people
of Israel two male goats for a sin-offering, and one ram for a burnt-offering.

Aaron shall offer the bull as a sin-offering for himself, and shall make atonement for himself and
for his house. He shall take the two goats and set them before the Lord at the entrance of the tent
of meeting; and Aaron shall cast lots on the two goats, one lot for the Lord and the other lot for
Azazel. Aaron shall present the goat on which the lot fell for the Lord, and offer it as a
sin-offering; but the goat on which the lot fell for Azazel shall be presented alive before the Lord
to make atonement over it, so that it may be sent away into the wilderness to Azazel.

Aaron shall present the bull as a sin-offering for himself, and shall make atonement for himself and
for his house; he shall slaughter the bull as a sin-offering for himself. He shall take a censer full of
coals of fire from the altar before the Lord, and two handfuls of crushed sweet incense, and he
shall bring it inside the curtain and put the incense on the fire before the Lord, so that the cloud of
the incense may cover the mercy-seat that is upon the covenant, or he will die. He shall take some
of the blood of the bull, and sprinkle it with his finger on the front of the mercy-seat, and before
the mercy-seat he shall sprinkle the blood with his finger seven times.

He shall slaughter the goat of the sin-offering that is for the people and bring its blood inside the
curtain, and do with its blood as he did with the blood of the bull, sprinkling it upon the
mercy-seat and before the mercy-seat. Thus he shall make atonement for the sanctuary, because of
the uncleannesses of the people of Israel, and because of their transgressions, all their sins; and so
he shall do for the tent of meeting, which remains with them in the midst of their uncleannesses.
No one shall be in the tent of meeting from the time he enters to make atonement in the sanctuary
until he comes out and has made atonement for himself and for his house and for all the assembly
of Israel. Then he shall go out to the altar that is before the Lord and make atonement on its
behalf, and shall take some of the blood of the bull and of the blood of the goat, and put it on each
of the horns of the altar. He shall sprinkle some of the blood on it with his finger seven times, and
cleanse it and hallow it from the uncleannesses of the people of Israel.

When he has finished atoning for the holy place and the tent of meeting and the altar, he shall
present the live goat. Then Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, and confess
over it all the iniquities of the people of Israel, and all their transgressions, all their sins, putting
them on the head of the goat, and sending it away into the wilderness by means of someone
designated for the task. The goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to a barren region; and the
goat shall be set free in the wilderness.

Then Aaron shall enter the tent of meeting, and shall take off the linen vestments that he put on
when he went into the holy place, and shall leave them there. He shall bathe his body in water in a
holy place, and put on his vestments; then he shall come out and offer his burnt-offering and the
burnt-offering of the people, making atonement for himself and for the people.

For another Biblical reading,
John 17

HYMN
Words: (c) Marnie Barrell, 1999
Tune: Kingsfold
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb10.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/
mb10.html

Relentless lover, God in Christ
who died to set us free,
unswerving as your love for us
may our commitment be:
to come and learn what courage means,
and take the challenge up
to walk with Christ through death to life,
to drink his bitter cup.

And when we come, may that fierce love
be tasted, touched and known,
as we who gather round the Cross
meet in Christ's death our own.
God grant we shall not fear to drink
his cup, the blood he shed,
nor let our hands, unwounded, shrink
from taking up his bread.

So let the Spirit draw us near
to find, in hope and trust,
his broken body risen here,
his life renewed in us.
Life given, life renewed again
in thousandfold increase;
he lives, and sends us out to be
his living gift of peace.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Lord, you have declared your will
That we should faithfully keep your commandments.

You have commanded us to love one another
As you have loved us.

Lord, in your mercy
Hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray for Christians throughout the world
That we may be one.

We pray for the Roman Catholic Church and John Paul the Pope
That we may be one.

We pray for the Eastern Orthodox churches and for their Patriarchs and Archbishops
That we may be one.

We pray for the Lutheran churches around the world
That we may be one.

We pray for the Methodist churches and their clergy
That we may be one.

We pray for the Presbyterian churches and their ministers
That we may be one.

We pray for the Baptist churches and their leaders
That we may be one.

We pray for all other churches
That we may be one.

We pray for the Anglican Communion
and for Rowan, Archbishop of Canterbury
That we may be one.

We pray for the unity of all Christian people, that the world may believe
That we may be one.

Holy God,
source of all love,
on the night of his betrayal
Jesus gave his disciples a new commandment,
to love one another as he loved them:
Write this commandment in our hearts;
give us the will to serve others
as he was the servant of all,
who gave his life and died for us,
yet is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from prayers in
_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The invitation to the Lord's Prayer is from _Common Worship:
 Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c)
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The hymn is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author; if you
wish to reproduce it further, please apply for permission by sending her an
email.