OREMUS: 10 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 9 21:47:05 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, April 10, 2006
Monday in Holy Week

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
By the human nature he assumed,
he gathers us all into one body;
humbled, he raises us up;
handed over to death, he sets us free.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 21

The king rejoices in your strength, O Lord;*
 how greatly he exults in your victory!
You have given him his heart's desire;*
 you have not denied him the request of his lips.
For you meet him with blessings of prosperity,*
 and set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
He asked you for life and you gave it to him;*
 length of days, for ever and ever.
His honour is great, because of your victory;*
 splendour and majesty have you bestowed upon him.
For you will give him everlasting felicity*
 and will make him glad with the joy of your presence.
For the king puts his trust in the Lord;*
 because of the loving-kindness of the Most High,
   he will not fall.
Your hand will lay hold upon all your enemies;*
 your right hand will seize all those who hate you.
You will make them like a fiery furnace*
 at the time of your appearing, O Lord;
You will swallow them up in your wrath,*
 and fire shall consume them.
You will destroy their offspring from the land*
 and their descendants
   from among the peoples of the earth.
Though they intend evil against you
   and devise wicked schemes,*
 yet they shall not prevail.
For you will put them to flight*
 and aim your arrows at them.
Be exalted, O Lord, in your might;*
 we will sing and praise your power.

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

READING [Isaiah 42:1-9]:

Here is my servant, whom I uphold,
   my chosen, in whom my soul delights;
I have put my spirit upon him;
   he will bring forth justice to the nations.
He will not cry or lift up his voice,
   or make it heard in the street;
a bruised reed he will not break,
   and a dimly burning wick he will not quench;
   he will faithfully bring forth justice.
He will not grow faint or be crushed
   until he has established justice in the earth;
   and the coastlands wait for his teaching.

Thus says God, the Lord,
   who created the heavens and stretched them out,
   who spread out the earth and what comes from it,
who gives breath to the people upon it
   and spirit to those who walk in it:
I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness,
   I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
I have given you as a covenant to the people,
   a light to the nations,
   to open the eyes that are blind,
to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon,
   from the prison those who sit in darkness.
I am the Lord, that is my name;
   my glory I give to no other,
   nor my praise to idols.
See, the former things have come to pass,
   and new things I now declare;
before they spring forth,
   I tell you of them.

For another Biblical reading,
John 12:1-11

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1875
Tune: Arfon
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t655.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t655.html

Throned upon the awful tree,
King of grief, I watch with thee;
darkness veils thine anguished face,
none its lines of woe can trace.
none can tell what pangs unknown
hold thee silent and alone.

Silent through those three dread hours,
wrestling with the evil powers,
left alone with human sin,
gloom around thee and within,
till the appointed time is nigh,
till the Lamb of God may die.

Hark, that cry that peals aloud
upward through the whelming cloud!
Thou, the Father's only Son,
thou, his own anointed One,
thou dost ask him (can it be?)
"Why hast thou forsaken me?"

Lord, should fear and anguish roll,
darkly o'er my sinful soul,
thou, who once were thus bereft
that thine own might ne'er be left,
teach me by that bitter cry
in the gloom to know thee nigh.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
For Christian communities everywhere,
following the way of the cross this week:
that the passion of Christ may sustain our faith
and enliven our witness to the world,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Diocese of Cameroon,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the pastors, teachers, evangelists and prophets of the church:
that the wisdom of Christ may keep them grounded in the gospel,
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all candidates for baptism,
and for the church preparing to welcome them:
that the faith of Christ may gather us together at the foot of the cross,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the nations of the world, and for the peace of Jerusalem:
that the kingdom of Christ may come with true peace
and the forgiveness of our enemies,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the endangered earth,
where human carelessness and waste threaten the environment:
that the Spirit of Christ may teach us how to care for the earth,
and revive our delight in creation,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the hungry, the homeless and the outcasts of the world:
that the love of Christ may teach us hospitality, hope,
and care for the least of our sisters and brothers,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people whose lives are limited by sickness, grief, or fear:
that the compassion of Christ may come to them
with comfort and courage,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who bear the weight of others' troubles:
that the easy yoke of Christ may lighten their burdens
and strengthen them for service,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people offering their lives in loving service:
that the blessing of Christ may come to them,
and their gifts be received and remembered with joy,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who deny their faith or betray their friends,
for all who repent of their sins,
and for ourselves as we turn and ask for mercy:
that the forgiveness of Christ may come with healing and love,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people preparing to die:
that the light of Christ may shine on them
both now and in the day of resurrection,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father,
whose Son suffered denial and betrayal of trust
from those who shared his bread:
raise us up, O Lord,
and prevent us in the time of trial
from falling away from you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,

Lead us, O God, in the way of Christ
and give us courage to take up our cross
and, in full reliance upon your grace, to follow him. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with
permission.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner using a sentence
from a prayer in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian
Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c) The
Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is by The Anglican Church of Australia.

The closing sentence is adapted from two sentences in a prayer from
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.