OREMUS: 8 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 7 20:38:03 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, April 8, 2006
William Augustus Muhlenberg, Priest, 1877

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 88

O Lord, my God, my Saviour,*
 by day and night I cry to you.
Let my prayer enter into your presence;*
 incline your ear to my lamentation.
For I am full of trouble;*
 my life is at the brink of the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;*
 I have become like one who has no strength;
Lost among the dead,*
 like the slain who lie in the grave,
Whom you remember no more,*
 for they are cut off from your hand.
You have laid me in the depths of the Pit,*
 in dark places and in the abyss.
Your anger weighs upon me heavily,*
 and all your great waves overwhelm me.
You have put my friends far from me;
   you have made me to be abhorred by them;*
 I am in prison and cannot get free.
My sight has failed me because of trouble;*
 Lord, I have called upon you daily;
   I have stretched out my hands to you.
Do you work wonders for the dead?*
 will those who have died
   stand up and give you thanks?
Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave?*
 your faithfulness in the land of destruction?
Will your wonders be known in the dark?*
 or your righteousness in the country
   where all is forgotten?
But as for me, O Lord, I cry to you for help;*
 in the morning my prayer comes before you.
Lord, why have you rejected me?*
 why have you hidden your face from me?
Ever since my youth,
   I have been wretched and at the point of death;*
 I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.
Your blazing anger has swept over me;*
 your terrors have destroyed me;
They surround me all day long like a flood;*
 they encompass me on every side.
My friend and my neighbour you have put away from me,*
 and darkness is my only companion.

READING [John 11:28-44]:

When Martha had said this, she went back and called her
sister Mary, and told her privately, 'The Teacher is here
and is calling for you.' And when she heard it, she got
up quickly and went to him. Now Jesus had not yet come to
the village, but was still at the place where Martha had
met him. The Jews who were with her in the house,
consoling her, saw Mary get up quickly and go out. They
followed her because they thought that she was going to
the tomb to weep there. When Mary came where Jesus was
and saw him, she knelt at his feet and said to him,
'Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have
died.' When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came
with her also weeping, he was greatly disturbed in spirit
and deeply moved. He said, 'Where have you laid him?'
They said to him, 'Lord, come and see.' Jesus began to
weep. So the Jews said, 'See how he loved him!' But some
of them said, 'Could not he who opened the eyes of the
blind man have kept this man from dying?'
Then Jesus, again greatly disturbed, came to the tomb. It
was a cave, and a stone was lying against it. Jesus said,
'Take away the stone.' Martha, the sister of the dead
man, said to him, 'Lord, already there is a stench
because he has been dead for four days.' Jesus said to
her, 'Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would
see the glory of God?' So they took away the stone. And
Jesus looked upwards and said, 'Father, I thank you for
having heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I
have said this for the sake of the crowd standing here,
so that they may believe that you sent me.' When he had
said this, he cried with a loud voice, 'Lazarus, come
out!' The dead man came out, his hands and feet bound
with strips of cloth, and his face wrapped in a cloth.
Jesus said to them, 'Unbind him, and let him go.'

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 5:12-21

HYMN
Words: George Rundle Prynne, 1856
Tune: St. Constantine
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j129.html

Jesus, meek and gentle,
son of God most high,
gracious, loving Savior,
hear thy children's cry.

Pardon our offenses,
loose our captive chains,
break down every idol
which our soul detains.

Give us holy freedom,
fill our hearts with love;
draw us, holy Jesus,
to the realms above.

Lead us on our journey,
be thyself the way
through our earthly darkness
to the heavenly day.

Jesus, meek and gentle,
Son of God most high,
gracious, loving Savior,
hear thy children's cry.

O Christ,
out of your fullness we have received grace upon grace.
You are our eternal hope;
you are patient and full of mercy;
you are generous to all who call upon you.
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, fountain of life and holiness,
you have taken away our sins.
On the cross you were wounded for our transgressions
and were bruised for our iniquities.
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, obedient unto death,
source of all comfort,
our life and our resurrection,
our peace and reconciliation:
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, Savior of all who trust you,
hope of all who die for yo,
and joy of all the saints:
Save us, O Lord.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially:
the Diocese of California, USA, The Rt Revd William Edwin Swing, Bishop.

O Lord, in your goodness
you bestow abundant graces on your elect:
Look with favor, we entreat you, upon those
who in these Lenten days are being prepared for Holy Baptism,
and grant them the help of your protection;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God of merciful compassion,
your Son came to heal those
who were broken in body or spirit,
and to turn their sorrow into joy:
grant that your Church may possess
the vision and compassion
of your servant William Augustus Muhlenberg
that we will not close our eyes
to the plight of the poor and neglected,
the homeless and destitute, the old and the sick,
the lonely and those who have none to care for them;

Standing at the foot of the cross, BR>

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.

prayers in  _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The second collect is by Stephen Benner and is based on a collect  from
_The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and Fasts_, 3rd edition, (c)
1980 The Church Pension Fund.