OREMUS: 7 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 6 23:07:53 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, April 7, 2006

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 69

Save me, O God,*
 for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire,*
 and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters,*
 and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
   my throat is inflamed;*
 my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
   are more than the hairs of my head;
   my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty.*
 Must I then give back what I never stole?
O God, you know my foolishness,*
 and my faults are not hidden from you.
Let not those who hope in you
   be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts;*
 let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me,
   O God of Israel.
Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach,*
 and shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my own kindred,*
 an alien to my mother's children.
Zeal for your house has eaten me up;*
 the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
I humbled myself with fasting,*
 but that was turned to my reproach.
I put on sack-cloth also,*
 and became a byword among them.
Those who sit at the gate murmur against me,*
 and the drunkards make songs about me.
But as for me, this is my prayer to you,*
 at the time you have set, O Lord:
'In your great mercy, O God,*
 answer me with your unfailing help.
'Save me from the mire; do not let me sink;*
 let me be rescued from those who hate me
   and out of the deep waters.
'Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
   neither let the deep swallow me up;*
 do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
'Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;*
 in your great compassion, turn to me.
'Hide not your face from your servant;*
 be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
'Draw near to me and redeem me;*
 because of my enemies deliver me.
'You know my reproach, my shame and my dishonour;*
 my adversaries are all in your sight.'
Reproach has broken my heart and it cannot be healed;*
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
   for comforters, but I could find no one.
They gave me gall to eat,*
 and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;*
 your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
I will praise the name of God in song;*
 I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen,*
 more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
The afflicted shall see and be glad;*
 you who seek God, your heart shall live.
For the Lord listens to the needy,*
 and his prisoners he does not despise.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,*
 the seas and all that moves in them;
For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah;*
 they shall live there and have it in possession.
The children of his servants will inherit it,*
 and those who love his name will dwell therein.

READING [John 11:1-27]:

Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister
Martha. Mary was the one who anointed the Lord with perfume and wiped his feet
with her hair; her brother Lazarus was ill. So the sisters sent a message to Jesus,
'Lord, he whom you love is ill.' But when Jesus heard it, he said, 'This illness does not
lead to death; rather it is for God's glory, so that the Son of God may be glorified
through it.' Accordingly, though Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus, after
having heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he
was.
Then after this he said to the disciples, 'Let us go to Judea again.' The disciples said to
him, 'Rabbi, the Jews were just now trying to stone you, and are you going there
again?' Jesus answered, 'Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Those who walk
during the day do not stumble, because they see the light of this world. But those who
walk at night stumble, because the light is not in them.' After saying this, he told them,
'Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I am going there to awaken him.' The
disciples said to him, 'Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will be all right.' Jesus, however,
had been speaking about his death, but they thought that he was referring merely to
sleep. Then Jesus told them plainly, 'Lazarus is dead. For your sake I am glad I was
not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.' Thomas, who was called the
Twin, said to his fellow-disciples, 'Let us also go, that we may die with him.'
When Jesus arrived, he found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days.
Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, some two miles away, and many of the Jews had
come to Martha and Mary to console them about their brother. When Martha heard
that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, while Mary stayed at home. Martha said
to Jesus, 'Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I
know that God will give you whatever you ask of him.' Jesus said to her, 'Your
brother will rise again.' Martha said to him, 'I know that he will rise again in the
resurrection on the last day.' Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life.
Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and
believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?' She said to him, 'Yes, Lord, I
believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one coming into the world.'

For another Biblical reading,
Job 36:1,5-12,21-23

HYMN
Words: Hardwicke Drummond Rawnsley (1850-1920)
Tune: Song 18
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l350.html

Lord Jesus, who at Lazarus' tomb
to weeping friends from death's dark womb
didst bring new joy to life,
grant to the friends who stand forlorn
a vision of that larger morn
where peace has conquered strife.

May we behold across the bar
the dear immortals as they are,
empowered in act and will,
with purer eyes to see their King,
with fuller hearts his praise to sing,
with strength to help us still.

Not fettered now by fleshly bond,
but tireless in the great beyond,
and growing day by day.
Can we not make their gladness ours,
and share their thoughts, their added powers,
and follow as we pray?

O Holy Ghost, the strength and guide
of those who to this earth have died,
but live more near to God,
give us thy grace to follow on,
till we with them the crown have won
who duty's paths have trod.

Jesus, remember us when you come into your kingdom
and hear our prayers.

For your Church around the world,
we ask new life.

For all who carry out ministries in your Church,
we ask grace and wisdom.

For people who have accepted spiritual disciplines,
we ask inspired discipleship.

For Christians of every land,
we ask new unity in your Name.

For Jews and Muslims and people of other faiths,
we ask your divine blessing.

For those who cannot believe,
we ask your faithful love.

For governors and rulers in every land,
we ask your guidance.

For people who suffer and sorrow,
we ask your healing peace.

Thirsting on the cross,
your Son shared the reproach of the oppressed
and carried the sins of all:
in him, O God, may the despairing find you,
the afflicted gain life
and the whole creation know its true king. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.

prayers in  _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.